Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
While it is a great idea to have a pressure regulator for your water line, none of the many campgrounds we have stayed in in south, central and the Hill Country have seen over 45 psi water pressure at the spigot.
Just like an EMS a water pressure regulator is cheap insurance vs a burst pipe fitting and a flooded camper. It only takes one time.....
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwoodco1 View Post
I have a 2006 LR3 with the heavy duty tow package. Th place I bought my trailer knew this and assured me it wasn't an issue and sonce I don't plan on having batteries I didn't think it was either, but apparently I will be upgrading which isn't the end of the world.

Thanks for providing the TV information. The LR3 is a short wheelbase, small SUV. That 30', 7500lb. tail will drag it wherever the trailer wants to go and the LR3 will have nothing to say about it. I test drove one when they came out in 05/06? and it, IMO, was an improvement over the Discovery but still a mushy, small SUV. You might read up on the tests of the LR3 which would be fine if one was just wanting it to ride down the highway but control is lacking on a skid pad with nothing affecting it other than its own weight; think about adding that big SUV behind it and it should make your heart skip a beat. Of all the things that I mentioned that will fail/fall short I mentioned the axle. I did not specifically mention the ring and pinion gears; you should check the specs on their construction vs a truck (3/4) axle - I suspect you will find a big difference. I'm glad getting a new vehicle is not a problem because you desperately need one with that trailer.

As far as batteries, whoever told you the LR3 was up to the task probably also told you that batteries aren't required - they have no idea what they are talking about and probably need to get a job as a door to door magic elixir salesman. Good luck on that truck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:03 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Agree with Danny. That LR3 belongs behind an RV (as in towed behind a Class C or A ) not in front of it.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #24
nwoodco1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Wow... you got ur dander up this morning! It must be winter in Travelin Texan land bwhahahahaha I ain't disagreeing but if we start strapping lying salesmen into an inappropriate tv, who would be left to sell the darn things? You know, if I dyed my hair jet black and slicked it back and got me a pencil thin mustache I might be able to make a living as a liar.
It sucks, but I like the trailer I got and I got it for a great deal, I have been considering replacing my vehicle anyways, so it isn't the end of the world.
nwoodco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #25
Mike&Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Just like an EMS a water pressure regulator is cheap insurance vs a burst pipe fitting and a flooded camper. It only takes one time.....
I took my camper out for the first time last weekend, and noticed a leak at the toilet. No problem tightening the connector, but I only have the cheap flow regulator they sold me at the dealership. Not knowing what's happening behind the walls and reading stories, I'm getting the fancy adjustable regulator in the mail today. With all the other crap I've added to this new trailer, spending the extra few dollars in an attempt to avoid water damage, seems like a no brainer.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel 3.42
San Antonio, TX
Mike&Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 01:07 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Sandy View Post
I took my camper out for the first time last weekend, and noticed a leak at the toilet. No problem tightening the connector, but I only have the cheap flow regulator they sold me at the dealership. Not knowing what's happening behind the walls and reading stories, I'm getting the fancy adjustable regulator in the mail today. With all the other crap I've added to this new trailer, spending the extra few dollars in an attempt to avoid water damage, seems like a no brainer.

You made a good choice. The cheap inline regulators aren't worth a flip IMO. They reduce pressure no matter what - if you only had 15psi it would reduce that to almost zero. I also carry a water pressure gauge so I can test water pressure if I'm wondering about it. Mine is set now to 45psi and that seems to work the best in different places.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
It sucks, but I like the trailer I got and I got it for a great deal, I have been considering replacing my vehicle anyways, so it isn't the end of the world.

One of the most important aspects of RV ownership is being happy with the RV. It's also a plus in your personal feelings about it that you got a good deal on it. Sounds like you have those bases covered......now, for that new tow vehicle... Good luck and fire away with questions if/when they come up.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:58 PM   #28
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The guy where you bought the rv that "assured" you "it was not an issue" is so full crap it was likely oozing out their ears. That rv is pushing the limits of a 1/2 ton pickup & your LR3 is even worse off as a tow vehicle.
Also YES you WILL need at least 1 battery if you plan to use the rv for something besides a storage shed.
This kind of salespeople should be strapped behind the wheel of some of the inappropriate tow vehicles with a more than inappropriate RVs they sell folks & forced to haul it from coast to coast & back, then see if their sales tactics may change.
Priceless. I like the way you think.
Thank you

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:33 AM   #29
WDPatterson

Quote:
We will be camping year round, so sometimes it will be 20 degrees or so. You are right about not needing it down here. I am one of the few people who uses car regardless of truck or not, will update to truck! Got 800 tounge capacity and 7700 towing.
The specs for that trailer show that your vehicle is not up to the task.

Shipping Weight

Carrying Capacity

Hitch

5033 + 2512 equals 7545...
What is your vehicle's gross weight??

By the time you put stuff in that trailer, you'll be well over your rate for your vehicle.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #30
InkedMarie

I don’t think I’ve seen a 29’ without a slide! Congrats and I hope you’re shopping for a new tow vehicle. Trust us when we say to take what RV dealerships say about many things, including safe towing.

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:24 AM   #31
digitalpa

My Hideout is a 27RLS and a different floorplan. Recommend you check the structure on the cover inside over your water pump. (Used when you are not on city water.) Mine is next to the bed. Mine had no support holding it up, so when I leaned on it, it collapsed. Mine is like an upside down L, the lower front was screwed to the floor (weakly) and nothing held up the back. I added L braces inside to make the L stay up and placed 2 X 2 feet at the back to support weight. It does that now. They really cut corners in a few places they should not have. But generally it's pretty well built. Good Luck!
digitalpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:01 AM   #32
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:08 PM   #33
crk112

Welcome! I have a Hideout similar in weight to yours, and a couple feet shorter. I tow with a 1/2-ton and it's barely enough. My family has to follow in my wife's car in order for us to stay within weights, specifically payload and rear axle weight. I have to be pretty much the only one in the truck when towing. I'm sure if I didn't have the long 157" wheelbase I'd be in much worse shape, especially in crosswinds and passing other vehicles.

It does suck but the dealer will never consider all the weights that really matter; payload, gross weight, and axle gross weights. They only look at tongue capacity and tow capacity... and the tongue weight isn't a fixed number. (to be fair they also only look at the commission they'll get on the sale)

I'm unfortunately one of many new RVers that have been caught in that trap, and it's left a bad taste in my mouth ever since. Had I known then what I know now, my family would have a smaller TT. One time I rented a 3/4-ton diesel from Enterprise and towed with that, it was night-and-day difference.

I don't know if it means much but I can vouch for the feedback you're getting on the tow vehicle. It's a tough pill to swallow, sorry that you're going through this also.
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout, keystone