Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Micro Air Thermostat

The Micro Air thermostat replacement for the Dometic CT unit has been discussed previously. I had yet another pleasant surprise from this little guy this evening that I wanted to share...and btw, IMO opinion if you have a Dometic CT thermostat and struggle with its faults....don't.

We had a fast moving cold front hit last night into the next couple of days - it was 87 yesterday. The high today was 30 - same for tomorrow along with sleet/snow. We were preparing the RV for a Thursday departure to FL which was postponed due to some issues at the destination park. Finished waxing the trailer yesterday and we decided it needed to go to the RV barn - didn't want sleet, snow and the inevitable brown dirt to get on the newly waxed trailer. The issue; the trailer was not winterized and not ready for any kind of hard freezing. Opened the low point drains along with the faucets and took it out. After looking at the prolonged temps ranging from 24-32 over the next 2 days I told DW we needed to go out, pull the trailer out (fixed folding steps required the trailer be moved to one side of the barn), relocate it and fire up the furnace - so we headed out there to move it around and get the furnace going. At that point TWO wonderful revelations:

1) The storage facility keeps a wonderful temp! Although 30 degrees outside for about 16 hours the facility was 55 degrees! And to the point -

2) Before I knew the inside temp (had to place a thermometer) I went inside to find the temp and closed the bay door. DW was not looking forward to pulling it out, relocating and leaving the furnace running unattended for 2 days (nor I). As I debated on what I wanted to do it occurred to me....I installed the micro air thermostat!! Wifi and bluetooth capable!! YES! Pulled up the app on my phone and just talked to it without pulling it out and getting the steps out...OUTSTANDING! Connected and it showed it wasn't powered up, 60 degrees inside and 55 degrees outside. Put it through its paces and ran heat pump, furnace; turned it on, off; adjusted temps up and down to make sure it cut on and off it should. Talk about a HUGE sigh of relief, a BIG smile because the thing is just SO handy. Never hooked up, never had to pull the trailer in or out....just perfect.

I post this because I am so impressed with this thermostat. It is a superior upgrade for any RV thermostat IMO. I have nothing to do with Micro Air but this thing has made me a believer and I'm thinking lots of folks could use one based on my many years of using the normal, cheapest available, thermostats. Just wanted to share.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s amazing how the littlest things make us old geezers happy

I’ll have to include it in my wish list along with autolevel if I upgrade to a new trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:58 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
It’s amazing how the littlest things make us old geezers happy

I’ll have to include it in my wish list along with autolevel if I upgrade to a new trailer.

Ain't it the truth!! And those things get smaller every year.....I was thinking this evening I finally found my "other" pair of socks...and I was happy. Don't take much to keep a "geezer" looking at the bright side....
Old 10-26-2020, 05:49 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Ain't it the truth!! And those things get smaller every year.....I was thinking this evening I finally found my "other" pair of socks...and I was happy. Don't take much to keep a "geezer" looking at the bright side....
You've got an "other" pair of socks ????? Sheeze !!!!! some geezers have all the good stuff !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #5
Bill-2020

Danny,
That's great news about your socks. I also see that you're pretty happy the Micro-Air is giving you more bang for your buck than the Dometic CT ever could. That's super news all around! Family in ABQ has over 9" of measured snow as of this morning. Brrrr!

Safe travels when you (eventually) get underway!
Old 10-27-2020, 08:53 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Yes we're anxious to get underway. Guess we're watched over because looks like a hurricane is coming in at the end of the week - probably about the time we would have been driving over Mobile Bay so all in all it's not a bad thing at all.

I debated on the long post about the Micro Air thermostat but it is one of the best mods I've ever made and wanted to share. They make replacements for literally all Dometic thermostats and not just the CT unit. The improvement they make in the overall operation of the heating/cooling units is phenomenal.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #7
hardinrob

Micro Air Thermostat

I too struggled with the Dometic Thermostat. I ordered two of the Micro Air 351 Thermostats for my 2018 Montana 3921FB. Install was very easy and fit and finish of the Micro Air Thermostats are much more like a nice home model. I really like being able to connect either by Bluetooth or WIFI. Using the Micro Air Thermostat is much easier and settings are easier to understand. One of the best features IMO is being able to set for A/C and Heat Pump for automatic switch.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:40 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

I think ol' George sang a song about you:
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #9
Big1

I with you on this one, I install the same one about two week ago and just love it.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote