Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
Preyou

App for truck tow capacity

I know determining the truck capacity for towing is not simple. However is there an App for doing all the calculations. Entering the vin number of the truck and 5th wheel and getting results the good to go or not. If not the info from the name plates.
thanks
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:04 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I have not seen that app and would be VERY CAUTIOUS about believing anything that derives information on towing by using the VIN. I've seen a number of websites that are "supposedly supported by vehicle manufacturers that don't have the same information about a specific vehicle... So, depending on where that app obtains its information, it may be valid or it may be "so far out in left field that it doesn't resemble reality"....

As for trailer VIN information being stored somewhere that is assessible to a computer app is extremely doubtful. If you call the trailer manufacturer, they regularly can't even tell you what equipment was included with a specific trailer. I'd suspect that VIN listing is, at best, unreliable and likely to be "flat out wrong"....

Using an app that obtains info about a specific VIN combination of trailer/tow vehicle is something I'd definitely verify with "real world information" before even considering it valid.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:12 PM   #3
Preyou

What about an app that I enter all info
Old 10-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #4
Preyou

My friend has a Ram 1500 and wants to determine a trailer that he can safely pull
Old 10-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preyou View Post
I know determining the truck capacity for towing is not simple. However is there an App for doing all the calculations. Entering the vin number of the truck and 5th wheel and getting results the good to go or not. If not the info from the name plates.
thanks

You don't need an app. The app will make "assumptions" based on whatever. You can make accurate, on point assessments by finding the numbers YOU need to know and understand before making any TV/RV purchase. It's really very simple and far more accurate than weights provided by some site by VIN etc. Look at the placards/stickers etc. It's that easy and so much more accurate.

Edit: Just saw the post about the friend. Tell the friend to get the numbers off the yellow/black/white sticker that tells him payload/carrying capacity and the gray sticker that gives all the gawrs etc. and he will know without question what the truck is capable of.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:20 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Remember when the automobile manufacturers "dummied down the public" by removing temperature and oil pressure gauges and put in "IDIOT LIGHTS"??? They told us, just look at the light, if it's off, you don't need to worry, things are good....

Same with an app that does your "thinking/logic" for you.... As long as the end come up a green light, then that trailer and truck are OK ????

Back to those "idiot lights"... What happens when the bulb burns out and you destroy your engine? But, but, the light didn't come on, sure I smelled something burning, but the light wasn't on...... IDIOT LIGHTS !!!!!!

Don't "dummy down" safety in towing by relying on something unproven that may or may not have access to accurate information and that may or may not calculate an "unknown" correctly.....

Safety is something you and your buddy do NOT need to "dummy down"..... Do the "hard work" of actually thinking things through to a conclusion..... As Danny said, it's not that hard to do the critical calculations and "know the results" not "see something on an app that says I'm good.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-24-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
Preyou

Understand but with all the posts I have gotten confused with all the numbers and terms. I don't won't to develop bad info. How about some detailed guidance?
Old 10-24-2020, 06:25 PM   #8
Northofu1

Quote:
My friend has a Ram 1500 and wants to determine a trailer that he can safely pull
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=...=att&disp=safe
Try this

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:35 PM   #9
Preyou

Link did not work
Old 10-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
That link requires you to log into google..didn’t work for me either.

OP: just have your friend look at the federal tag in the drivers door. Post those numbers and the trailer he’s looking at. Those of us that are part of the “weight police” can help decifer the numbers

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:47 PM   #11
Preyou

I hate to add to confusion but I am a mechanical engineer and trying to understand the mechanics of the process without designing everything. I like the kiss system
Old 10-24-2020, 06:50 PM   #12
Northofu1

Quote:
Link did not work
click this link, there will be a blue highlighted link under the video

https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:57 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

The KISS system for towing capacity:

Look at the yellow sticker on the truck door. It will have the payload.

ANY trailer he is considering, look at the GVW of the trailer (not the dry weight or the axle weight) and use 15% of that GVW.

1 That's the anticipated tongue weight.
2 Add 125 pounds for the weight distribution hitch.
3 Add the weights of all passengers in the truck.
4 Add any cargo/accessories in the truck that were not delivered with it "from the factory"....

Those weights, 1+2+3+4 must be less than the yellow sticker payload.

Next, weigh the truck "ready for camping" with all passengers and anticipated cargo. You will get three weights, front axle, rear axle and total truck weight. Add 1+2 to the rear axle weight from the scale. That weight must be less than the GAWR on the black and white sticker on the door of the truck.

Next, use that "ready for camping weight" and add 1+2 to that weight. It must be less than the truck GVW on the black and white sticker.

If you get that far, (3 calculations) then post the complete information and we'll be happy to help you further....

If you get confused with the above calculations, someone can help you understand how to get from start to finish.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-24-2020, 07:05 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I hate to add to confusion but I am a mechanical engineer and trying to understand the mechanics of the process without designing everything. I like the kiss system

I think everything has been explained in "super kiss" fashion. Have the friend provide the requested numbers - very simple....very KISS. No confusion, no muddling through the simple measures for some reason. Open the door, take a pic of the placards....all done. Nothing to do with the "mechanics" of why if you don't understand trucks and towing....just numbers.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:22 AM   #15
chunker

If you are trying to keep it super KISS, think short and light in a travel trailer. 25' or less and not a better build like a Northwood Arctic Fox which are heavier. No 5th wheel at all. That's KISS. Lesser better.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:25 AM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
thanks
Quote:
Well I would say the two items highlighted in red are mutually exclusive.

There are spreadsheet that you can input weights and payloads to determine if you have a workable combination.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:55 AM   #17
wiredgeorge

Which camper to pull. First, a 1/2 ton will not like pulling a long trailer. The trailer will sway and the driver will come away with white knuckles. The 1/2 ton is too light. I would call a long trailer about 26-27'. Others can argue the number but not the fact.

Second, look in the driver's door frame for the payload sticker. The truck probably has an engine capable of dragging a lot mre than its suspension can support. The payload is the number of pounds the suspension can support and this number is not only tongue of the camper but the cargo and passengers and additional equipment in the truck. Payloads for bumper pulls are normally about 13 percent of the GROSS weight of the trailer so a 10K gross weight trailer will have a 1300 tongue weight and add cargo/passengers and you are looking at about 2000 lbs (just an estimate) for a 10K lb bumper pull. The number to compare it to is the payload placard. A 5th wheel, regardless of what a salesman or a brochure says is NOT 1/2 ton towable. The gross weight of a 5th wheel is 20-23 percent of the gross weight of the trailer. I can't imagine any 1/2 ton truck being safe with a 5th wheel. You don't have to be confused about the ability to tow; especially for a 1/2 ton as the only real factor is the payload of the truck. It is highly unlikely that your friend's 1/2 ton is south of 2000 lbs payload.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	payload.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	30489  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #18
LHaven

Quote:
thanks
Here's the one I used. It doesn't "oversimplify" anything, you will need to get a dozen values off yellow stickers, your truck manual, the bottom of your hitch, and so on, and plug them in. But it will tell you what you want to know and where your chokepoints are.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml (travel trailers)
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml (fifth wheels)
Old 11-05-2020, 03:50 PM   #19
Vinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Here's the one I used. It doesn't "oversimplify" anything, you will need to get a dozen values off yellow stickers, your truck manual, the bottom of your hitch, and so on, and plug them in. But it will tell you what you want to know and where your chokepoints are.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml (travel trailers)
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml (fifth wheels)
Hey those almost make it easy for me to spell things out to reality-challenged dealers. Doesn't seem to take people/stuff in cab/bed into account, however
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

The simplest math. Take the gross trailer weight rating. Type that number into a calculator. If it's a trailer multiply by .13 or a fifth wheel NY .25. That's the "hitch weight" either tongue Wright for TT or pin weight for fiver.

Now look at the yellow door sticker for the max payload weight. Enter the payload number into the calculator. Then subtract the pin or tongue weight you calculated above.

Now take the remaining number and subtract about 125 for the hitch. Now take that number and subtract the weight of the family and everything else in the truck. If your number has a minus sign in front of it then that's how far overweight the rig will be.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow