Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2020, 07:45 PM   #1
Bandit12

New member from California

Hi all, thanks for having me. Our camping history, 2010 we bought a used Viking pop up for a family cross country trip. Wife, I, 4 teenaged daughters, a pop up behind a mini van; California to PA, to Delaware, to Virginia, to South Dakota, to California over a 3 week period. That was only the 2nd and last trip we took that year, the kids had enough camping at that point. Over the next 8 years, we took the tent camper several places within the state, having a blast every time. Memorial Day 2018, wife and I went to a local lake for the weekend. I towed the tent trailer up there on Wednesday, wife came up with our 2 dogs (shepherd and lab) Thursday afternoon as her days off were Fri/Sat. I had to work Fri so she stayed at camp with the pooches. In the rain, and cold, battery went down, she couldn't start the generator, so no heat. When I got back to camp and fired up the generator for heat, she informed me "we're getting a new trailer." OK, I wasn't about to argue. We got home from that trip, scrubbed the bejeezus out of the camper and sold it in less than a week for $500 less than what we paid for it. By the end of June, we had made a deal on a 2018 Jayco X23B, hybrid. Nice camper, well equipped, and I really can't bad mouth it. Except for the tend ends on both bunks, the plastic J channel that attaches the canvas to the trailer opening was splitting, badly. I had it back in the shop twice for that issue and had an appointment set up for the 18 of Sep after our 2 week vacation trip to South Dakota. We left for that trip on the 22nd of Aug after having been evacuated from our home on the 20th due to a wild fire that got to within 3/4 of a mile from our home. Thankfully the firefighters were able to stop it before any homes were lost. We had a blast on our trip and on the way back, we were staying at Hill AFB Famcamp and the water pressure regulator I had wasn't able to handle the system pressure in the campground. My wife and I went to one of the local RV dealers to get an adjustable water pressure regulator. Got one and I said to my wife, these guys are a Jayco dealer, lets see if they have the model I'm interested in, if so, we can look at it. We had been discussing trading in in the next 2 or 3 years. The salesman said no, we don't have a 29RKS in stock, but can I show you something in a different brand? OK why not? He showed us a Cougar Half Ton, a Sprinter, and a Jayco White Hawk. We were on our way home, had no intention of trading in our trailer, but danged if we didn't! We got the Cougar 27SABWE. I know some folks bad mouth Camping World, but the one in Kaysville UT, and Rob Mahas, our sales rep, were amazing. They gave me an offer on my Jayco, sight unseen, knocked $8k off the list price, added a propane connection to the underneath at no charge, were able to install a Fantastic Fan with remote and a back up camera, get the rig ready and delivered in 24 hours. They even helped with the transfer of our camping gear from the Jayco to the Cougar. We towed it about 10 miles back to the base campground, set up and stayed for the night. Got up at 530 AM, hitched up and was on the road home in 45 minutes. The ride home was 635 miles, this thing towed like a dream. My truck knew it was back there, it just didn't care. I had the tow/haul mode and the automatic engine brake engaged, usually had the cruise control set at 68, and averaged 11.8 MPG on the trip across Nevada and into California. So far we absolutely love the rig. Only two issues, one minor the other not so much. When we got home, there was sawdust on the kitchen counter, stove top, end table between the recliners, and on the dinette table. I plan on bringing the slide in, getting on a step stool and vacuuming the top of the slide. The bigger issue I need to address, the blinds at the big window by the dinette fell off. The three screws they had in them pulled out. I need to look at that and see if I can put them in the same place but tighter or if I need to figure out a different mounting. Overall, I'm very pleased with this coach, the options on it, the self leveling, the solar, cold weather package, fire place, the color scheme, the Mor Ryde steps, I have a hard time finding anything to complain about. Again, thanks for the add.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Cougar (2).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	29656  
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:51 PM   #2
Gary R.

Hello Bandit12, and welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the story of your family's camping journey!

Enjoy your new Cougar.

Stay safe!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags