Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2020, 07:47 AM   #1
DeborahL33

Outback 340BH - Recommendations?

We are currently shopping for a new trailer and were looking at the Outback 340 BH. I have read a lot of reviews about how Keystone trailers are not very well made and have many issues, specifically regarding leaks and floors. I am wondering if anyone can provide any feedback, specifically of this unit in particular and how Keystone is responding to issues? We are also considering the Grand Design line as an option and know they stand behind inspections and warranties along with great service however we tend to like the layout of this particular Keystone Outback. Any comments would be appreciated! (We do realize that no travel trailer is exempt from having quality issues with the way they are manufactured but we would like to know that they are less costly issues and if they do exist that the manufacture stands by the customer service). Thank you!
DeborahL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:00 AM   #2
dutchmensport

We had an Outback 295RE for over 5 years. We had minimal issues with it. The floor was Styrofoam covered with thin plywood. Between floor joists it always felt spongy. I think if keystone would have used a heavier plywood, it might not have been so "springy". But the floor never had any issues during the time we owned it.

In the 5 years, I replaced tires, battery, awning, air conditioner to the 15,000 BTU one, and installed an electric tongue jack. I added more things not factory installed, and changed some things around, but structurally, component wise, and electronics were flawless. I added some caulking to the roof only once. It was a good trailer.

We really enjoyed our Outback and would purchase another one without reservations. But, we are in a fifth wheel now, so ... maybe, someday .... we'll come full circle again!
Old 08-27-2020, 08:36 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahL33 View Post
We are currently shopping for a new trailer and were looking at the Outback 340 BH. I have read a lot of reviews about how Keystone trailers are not very well made and have many issues, specifically regarding leaks and floors. I am wondering if anyone can provide any feedback, specifically of this unit in particular and how Keystone is responding to issues? We are also considering the Grand Design line as an option and know they stand behind inspections and warranties along with great service however we tend to like the layout of this particular Keystone Outback. Any comments would be appreciated! (We do realize that no travel trailer is exempt from having quality issues with the way they are manufactured but we would like to know that they are less costly issues and if they do exist that the manufacture stands by the customer service). Thank you!
Any rv warranty is only as good as the selling dealer.
You're better off shopping the service department of a dealership rather than the sales, once sold the salesman won't remember your name & if the service is backed up for months or can't change a light bulb then you pay the price with no service.
Between Keystone & GD I doubt you'd find a nickels worth of difference in their construction, appliances or assembly methods & depending on the dealer there's no difference in warranty's or lack of.
If this is your first rv be aware that being somewhat of a handyman is required if owning a rv as there will ALWAYS be something to be maintained or repaired. If not a handyman be prepared for your rv to be sitting at a dealer as much or more than at your favorite comping spot.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:17 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahL33 View Post

As was mentioned, your concern about warranty issues and how they are handled are directly affected by your dealer. They are the ones that interface with the manufacturer, not you. The successful resolution of any issue you may encounter will depend 100% on how the dealer documents and submits it.

As far as GD vs Keystone. Remember GD is simply an offshoot of 3 former Keystone executives. Their floorplans, construction etc. greatly mirror those of some of the Keystone models. Also remember to compare apples to apples. GD has far fewer models/lines than Keystone so you have to make sure you are comparing a comparable Keystone product to whatever it is you look at in the GD line. I've looked at both quite a bit and I've got the trailer in my signature. What I found is that on the particular trailers I was looking at there was a 10k premium when all the haggling was done between the GD and comparable Keystone product (this was done in both TX and FL). I wasn't getting a "better" trailer, I was paying for the perceived improvement in manufacturer support which you have alluded to. Not worth it IMO but I also have a dealer that goes to bat for me and takes care of us as well as any GD dealer I would have had.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
Krg2383

My wife and I just recently purchased this trailer. So far so good we really like it very few minor minor issues in the fact that we had the gas struts under the bed come off, the pass-through storage leaks a little bit just haven't gotten to fix that yet. We are going on our longest trip so far tonight when I get out of work down to ocean City Maryland hopefully no big issues come up.
Krg2383 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback