Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2020, 09:45 AM   #41
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor 68 View Post
I have a friend with a twin turbo setup on a 5.9cummins that measured over 700hp and gets better mpg than another camping buddy with a bone stock 2018 ram 2500.
"Better" I believe but the better than another person has many variables including driving styles, loads, gearing, terrain, etc. In my thinking that's not definitive but as I say, better is believable as we all know the EPA equipment comes at a MPG cost.

I question when claims are made that someone is reporting a 100% increase in fuel mileage over what the vast community reports of 9 - 13 mpg towing heavy fivers. If those claims are true, then I want to know how that was accomplished. If an engine has the H.P. and torque numbers doubled, AND the fuel usage halved, AND there wasn't a serious issue with the engine before the mods, then I want to know how that was accomplished.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:58 AM   #42
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

I haven’t found the on board mileage meters to be that accurate. Mine have been pretty far off when using the old school ciphering method.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:04 AM   #43
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
I haven’t found the on board mileage meters to be that accurate. Mine have been pretty far off when using the old school ciphering method.
I love to play with my "lie-o-meter". Check it going downhill and get 40 mpg and check it going up at 4 mpg. Always check my mileage by filling tank and doing the math with the milage and the gallons used at the fill up.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #44
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I love to play with my "lie-o-meter". Check it going downhill and get 40 mpg and check it going up at 4 mpg. Always check my mileage by filling tank and doing the math with the milage and the gallons used at the fill up.

I've found that manually computing miles/gallons at each fillup is very depressing when towing. On the other hand, as I watch that computer mileage and it's showing 4mpg I can just let off the accelerator and now I'm getting 99 MPG!!! Talk about a feeling of exhilaration - who woulda thought!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #45
Just chillin

I like my Lie-o-meter! Because if I’m getting less than the average 10 to 11 MPG that it shows , that really sucks.
Just chillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:00 PM   #46
razor 68

filled my truck up- drove to fort Madison,iowa-filled back up to compute my mileage. have done it twice now and let pumps shut off on their own. truck doesn't have mileage computer. both times averaged right around 18mpg. that is the only way I have known to truly get average. I have friends with stock duramaxes who tell me 12 or so on thiers. to get a diesel to 500 plus hp is far from maxing her potential out. a simple turbo change can gain that much over stock and still increase mpg because it really is not trying too hard to do the same job. can not compare diesel mods to gasser mods. they don not have the same effect on mpg . your stock diesel is choked out bad from the factory to please the clean air act with no reguards for actual performance. as long as it gets the job done the average joe is happy
razor 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #47
razor 68

seems to me this has moved away from what this site is about- enjoying the camping lifestyle and became a truck debate. I am a huge cummins fan but am a bigger Allison t1000 transmission fan so went to a chevy. have a lot of camping friends with different rigs and have to say in all honesty that my buddys with stock powerstrokes tell me some disapointing mpg figures.
razor 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:07 PM   #48
ACE123

Check out the Hensley Hitch, it will eliminate the trailer sway - expensive but it works. Won't help so much with an overweight condition if that is what you have.
ACE123 is offline   Reply With Quote