Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2020, 04:18 AM   #1
rjsurfer

Making window insulation panels.

My new Cougar has the same problem most RV's have, the single AC unit cannot keep up with an outside temp 80 degrees plus.

I have made insulated window panels before and they worked pretty well, but most of them blocked all the light. For example I made panels out of doubled up Reflectix and panels made with white stiff foam boards sold at Lowe's.

The insulation I'm looking for obviously should allow some light and be stiff (for easy storage and placement) so fabric is out. It should also have an R value of 5 or so, that was one problem with Reflectix (even doubled up), not having a decent R value.

Thanks

Ron W
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:14 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Same problem in my Cougar. I used 10% VLT window tint film. Helps quite a bit and I can see out the windows. They also make 5% and call that stuff "limo tint" and it basically is black from the outside. You can see in my camper just a bit at night if the light is on so you can't paddle around in a state of undress unless you have been working out a lot more than me.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:59 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The first question would be: "Are you looking for a pseudo-storm window that helps reduce cold/heat loss in winter and summer?" or are you looking to reduce the heat gain from the sun shining into the trailer through the "overly large single pane windows" ???

If it's the first, then you'll need to determine which is the most desired outcome (condensation reduction/heat loss or blocking the sun/reducing heat gain) few solutions, short of replacing the windows with dual pane windows, will be a good solution for both.

If reducing heat gain is your objective, you might consider making "solar screens" for your windows. I bought mine at Home Depot and used industrial Velcro around the window frames to attach the screens after setting up the trailer. I remove them for towing and reinstall them as a part of setup. They block about 80-90 percent of the heat gain inside the trailer and it's noticeably cooler when sitting in front of any of the windows.

This is what I used. It's available in different widths and lengths, so only buy what you need. I've had them for about 6 years and they're still functional. I have had to replace the self adhesive Velcro in places on the trailer window frames over the years.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-6...2232/100538470
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar screen.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	28017  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:30 AM   #4
rjsurfer

John,

My goal would be two fold, not just preventing solar heat intrusion but conserving heat in the winter. We like to be off grid for periods of time and conserving propane and electricity is important.

That's why I'm leaning toward a "foam" product.

I'm looking for enough light passage to keep us from feeling like we're in a cave but maximize insulating value. Of course adding and removing panels as needed would work as an adjustment tool

I think that fabric material would be a great to use for attaching to the auxiliary awning track to keep the sun from peeking under the awning.

Thanks

Ron W
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote