Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
Maineiacs

So, what's in your toolbox?

I carry all the usual suspects - screwdrivers, wrenches, socket sets, electrical testers, duct tape, etc.

What's the one or two things that you absolutely must have in YOUR toolbox or you'll turn around if you forgot them? And NO, I don't mean your honey or your liquid refreshment of choice!
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
LHaven

I carry my 40-year-old field service tool case (similar to this one), plus a 3/8 socket set, and a large 250fp torque wrench for wheel lugs and hitch parts. I would turn around for any of those. I leave some tools permanently in the trailer, including the hitch-specific bar and speed wrenches, a prybar for when the hitch gets miffy, and a couple specialized Vise-Grips that I use to tighten hoses (and sometimes leaky packing nuts) on problematic camp bibbs. I also used to be religious about my high-pressure tire gauge, though with our new TPMS system I no longer need to be.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #3
Northofu1

Has to be my Milwaukee 1/2" impact drive and impact socket set.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:07 PM   #4
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Has to be my Milwaukee 1/2" impact drive and impact socket set.
I got 1/2 dewalt impact for Christmas . I carry small air compressors small box of tools .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:37 PM   #5
GHen

I have a combo air compressor jump box. Even if your batteries are dead, you can still get your slides in or out with a jump box.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:53 AM   #6
RWRiley

3/4" socket set for the lug nuts, and Hot water heater plug.
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:42 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Over the years I have found you need a multimeter, fuses, screwdrivers and socket sets. Since I have a decent sized basement, I have a large tool box with a whole bunch of stuff in it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:22 AM   #8
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
I carry all the usual suspects - screwdrivers, wrenches, socket sets, electrical testers, duct tape, etc.

What's the one or two things that you absolutely must have in YOUR toolbox or you'll turn around if you forgot them? And NO, I don't mean your honey or your liquid refreshment of choice!
I carry pretty well everything I think I may need. Interestingly enough I have loaned out more tools/stuff to other campers than I have needed or used myself.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Don't forget the jack and socket to fit the lug nuts.... I'd strongly suggest you actually change a tire/wheel IN THE DRIVEWAY so you know whether you need a 3" or a 6" extension so your ratchet/lug wrench clears the tire. Nothing worse than getting to a "flat spot on the side of the road" (usually located on the bottom of the affected tire) and finding that you've got the correct socket to fit the lug, but can't put the ratchet on it because the "tire sidewall is too fat"..... OOPS.... And, even though the jack will lift the "flat tire" to clear the ground, will it lift the axle high enough for the "round tire" to clear the ground ?????

Any emergency repair should be "well thought out and accomplished in a non-emergency situation" (if possible) before actually required to be done in a real emergency.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

I will add a tool/part that I have carried in the past, but keep forgetting to go to Napa and buy 2 more. The breakerless fuses on the tongue near the battery. The ones mounted out in the weather. Less than 5 bucks each, I had 1 fail in my last RV, it controlled the slide. Easy to replace and important to have them working.
I may be calling them by the wrong name, John and others can correct me.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Breakerless fuses, DC circuit breakers, auto-reset circuit breakers, PITA.... Whatever you choose to call them, they are, if out in the open, an "electrical problem waiting to happen"....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 VDC CIRCUIT BREAKER.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	24595  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #12
Frisbeekev

In the main truck toolbox: tar, tow strap, road hazard reflectors, circular saw, tool bag, zip ties, extension chord, battery operated light, socket kit, sawzall, an d battery powered blower(great for cleaning the campsite).

In the the undercover swing arm boxes: bungee and rachets, pad locks and cable, hitch pins, and gloves. Milwaukee battery tools in the other.
Frisbeekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #13
nrkmann

Non Tools but necessities on the road: WD 40 brand Dry Lubricant for my Reese hitch, else it makes all kinds of noise, window slides, etc.; silicon seal, if I see a gap almost anywhere I fill it before any water can get in; electric contact cleaner; mollie grease for the ball; dielectric grease for the trailer seven way power connector; white and black Gorilla tape; distilled water for the batteries; bug & tar remover (fresh kill is so much easier to remove than waiting until you are home);

Spray bottle with soapy water to test the gas connections every time the tanks are filled. Found a leaking tank that way.

Two fire extinguishers, one in the living/kitchen area by the exit door (escape, then fight the fire) and one in the bed room (ever try to climb out the escape window?) to suppress a fire while DW escapes first.

Extra 12 vdc led interior lights... had two quit working on my last 14 day trip.

Hard wood slivers to put into screw holes when the screws back out or loosen and need to be tightened down. Used to use wooden matches but they are too soft for the shaking and vibration the cupboard doors undergo during travel.

Tent stakes & 550 para cord (I like the glow in the dark) to stake down the awning. Awning de-flapper clips.

Trailer specific screws. (My dealer took me to his shop stock and let me have half a dozen of each size we thought I would need).

Electrical adaptors: 50 to 30 amp NEMA 14-50P/TT-30R, 120 15 amp to trailer 30 amp NEMA L5-30P/TT-30R, 30 amp twist (generator) to 30 amp RV NEMA L5-30P/TT-30R RV.

Wood dunnage for all kinds of this and that. I get hard wood scraps from a cabinet shop.

Tools not mentioned by others: Hammer to get chalks into place and pull them out.

Shovel to help level the trailer while boon docking and for fire suppression. Small rake to get the rocks, twigs, etc. out of the way. Ax to cut wood and pound stakes (be sure to have a safety cover on the blade when pounding stakes).

5 Gal bucket to wash the rig, haul off grey water, and fire suppression.

1/2" breaker bar with extension, six sided sockets for lugs (various sizes), jacks (3/4"), and hot water heater (1 1/16")

In my electric drill case...short and long square drive, jack drive socket (3/4”), drill bits, various drivers (flat, philips, star, etc.)

10mm wrench for TV coax cable.

Window squeegee.

Whisk broom to whisk out my truck, clean rubber mats, etc.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:21 AM   #14
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Breakerless fuses, DC circuit breakers, auto-reset circuit breakers, PITA.... Whatever you choose to call them, they are, if out in the open, an "electrical problem waiting to happen"....
I am glad you posted those images, because I had not identified it on the front of the camper. I thought it was just a connector that served to fasten the works to the camper. I don’t know if it is Keystone or Camping World’s handiwork, but the wiring between the batteries and the camper is very messy.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #15
Maineiacs

Some truly excellent ideas from everyone! Be glad to share a campsite with any of you.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:08 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I am glad you posted those images, because I had not identified it on the front of the camper. I thought it was just a connector that served to fasten the works to the camper. I don’t know if it is Keystone or Camping World’s handiwork, but the wiring between the batteries and the camper is very messy.
I'd guess the "wiring mess" is a combination of both Keystone and Camping World issues. Keystone installs the wiring and Camping World "ignores the mess" and passes it on to the customer.

The wiring should be corrected and the circuit breakers should be protected in a "customer added waterproof box" or rewired to a location inside the trailer where they are protected from the elements.

I'm sure others will comment that they've had their trailer for 10 years and never had any problems, but I'd suspect for every one of those "lucky ones" there's at least two or three times more who have had issues, failed circuit breakers, symptomatic electrical problems and/or electrical failure, usually at the most inopportune time, often causing disruptions in camping schedules or cancellation of a trip.

For me, protecting those exposed circuit breakers is just as important as resealing the roof. Both are going to get worse with exposure and both can cause significant problems with the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #17
Jim2366

A Stanley Fatmax 1000, bottle jack, lug nut breaker, four way lug nut wrench. Cordless drill, and tool box.

2019 Cougar 361rlw
2019 Ram 3500 longbed PU
Jim2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:14 AM   #18
Quiroule

Along with most of the tools mentioned, a complete set of bearings and seals.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #19
dogbate1

Pretty much everything that is mentioned here, but I never leave home without various sized Zip ties.
dogbate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #20
Lil Joe

Self tapping screws and large washers. Had to use them once to secure a metal side panel after it was ripped out of the bottom.
Lil Joe is offline   Reply With Quote