Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2019, 03:53 PM   #21
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
My 2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie longbed Cummins has a payload of 4455. This truck comes in a variety of configurations and the payload changes with options. He should be good on pin weight as long as he isnt over filling the truck with more stuff.
That is a very miss leading number. Most of the weight we add towing a 5th wheel goes on the rear axle. 7000-4455=2545 and the rear axle for these trucks in over 3000 empty. Add a 5th wheel hitch and other stuff in the bed and you well above 3,000. My rear axle was 3760 ready to tow.

One needs to look at all the numbers. ANY 5th wheel pushing towards 3,000 dry pin weight is going to put the rear axle over the 7K GAWR when load and ready to hit the road. NOT a number one wants to exceed.

Chris
Old 11-01-2019, 05:19 AM   #22
rhagfo

Quote:
My 2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie longbed Cummins has a payload of 4455. This truck comes in a variety of configurations and the payload changes with options. He should be good on pin weight as long as he isn't over filling the truck with more stuff.
Well I was unable to get a picture on departure, as they had an issue getting out of the park, and parked in overflow, with their LG down to leve, but this Ram had a good squat.
Look at the numbers.

2018 Keystone Fuzion 417 Specifications
Technical Specifications:
Length 43'
Dry Weight 15,200#
Payload Capacity 3,800#
GVWR (lbs/kgs) 19,000#
Hitch Weight 3,655#

JJaxon, is that from the brochure or from your trucks payload sticker?

This is DRY no propane or batteries, in addition the only toys were three plastic kayaks, so most living weight added to pin.
Now days SRW 350's and 3500's are starting to run GVWR near 95% of GAWR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
That is a very miss leading number. Most of the weight we add towing a 5th wheel goes on the rear axle. 7000-4455=2545 and the rear axle for these trucks in over 3000 empty. Add a 5th wheel hitch and other stuff in the bed and you well above 3,000. My rear axle was 3760 ready to tow.

One needs to look at all the numbers. ANY 5th wheel pushing towards 3,000 dry pin weight is going to put the rear axle over the 7K GAWR when load and ready to hit the road. NOT a number one wants to exceed.

Chris
I agree with Chris on this, one can be within payload and be exceeding axle and tire ratings. based on my observation this guy was over both.

ON EDIT:
Just an FYI my 2016 Ram 3500 DRW with a GVWR of 14,000# is at 88% of GAWR's 6,000# front and 9,750# rear.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:43 AM   #23
JJaxon

It is from my decal inside the drivers door.
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:11 AM   #24
Snoking

Quote:
It is from my decal inside the drivers door.
OK, many want to tow a fifth wheel trailer. So we have:

RGAWR 7,000 - 200 lbs for 5th wheel hitch, and lets stay 200 lbs of other things in the bed(note, I had a lot more than 200).

So now with have 6600 left and we subtract the 3005 for the dry weight and we are down to 3595 of pin weight putting the truck near the max rear axle rating.

A cab over camper with a short rear overhang and a long front overhand might be able to use most of the posted carry capacity, however a 5th wheel with not, unless you haul your Harley on the front bumper.

Chris
Old 11-05-2019, 02:11 AM   #25
tech740

Quote:
My 2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie longbed Cummins has a payload of 4455. This truck comes in a variety of configurations and the payload changes with options. He should be good on pin weight as long as he isnt over filling the truck with more stuff.
That would be nice. My 19 3500 SRW Bighorn short bed is only 3810. What is your GVW on that truck?

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:27 AM   #26
wiredgeorge

When looking for a 5th wheel, seems to me that most are more than what even a SRW 1 ton could safely handle and this begs the question, WHY don't RV manufacturers make more product that every day drivers can haul safely? It seems to me they don't care if unassuming folk drive off the lot with a lot more trailer than they should. Hence terms like "half ton towable".

If one piece law where the govt should stick its nose into things... have the dealer certify the purchaser has a truck that can safely tow a fully loaded (both truck and trailer) combo before allowing them to ink the paper. Not sure this crazy suggestion violates any constitutional amendment or such but it would sure help to clean up messes on the highway and hospitals and such.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #27
Laredo Tugger

I agree with you George, 100%.
Much similar to the value rating guides available (Kelly Bluebook and the like) there should be a towing combination guide, listing approved by law TV and TT combinations.
While the objective would be to essentially " clean up messes on the highway and hospitals and such", legislation like this would without a doubt also "clean up" industry profits. This is where this ideology (law) grabs a gear and starts it's uphill climb. The RV industry lobbyist,investors,expert witnesses, and owners all would stand firm to deny any sensible protocol that hinders sales. We know and have seen this. This is obviously displayed among these threads and others like them everyday.
Someone is always "driving off the lot" and then questioning their decision and coming to these pages for "justification" from knowledgeable owners.
I get it, I did the same thing. I drove off with not enough truck, got on these threads to be vindicated and was rightfully educated. I have since "upped my game" and my payload. I find it great that there are folks on here that do care enough to offer insight and their wisdom to ensure safe towing for every member who will listen.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Just an observation (based on living in "good ole boy" country for years).....

Government enforcement of any law is "haphazard at best"... how many drivers do you see "driving and texting", exceeding the speed limit, not wearing a seat belt, running a stop sign, kids in the front seat, no registration, stolen license plate (from the wife's car to get to work), just to name a few....

Government regulations isn't the answer. Making people accountable for their actions is.... (IMHO)...

Now, assume Michigan (I'll pick on my own residence) enacts a law that dealerships MUST confirm the buyer has a vehicle capable to tow the trailer being purchased.... That buyer comes in with a rental 1 ton truck from Home Depot ($19.95 for 4 hours) or with his BIL's dually. He states, "I'm never going to tow unless I use this borrowed/rented truck"... How do you deny him the right to purchase the trailer????

Before you answer, think about the last 30 days on this forum and the number of threads where the buyer "bought a large travel trailer/fifth wheel "specifically to "park it on their property while they build a house, use it for 2 years as a permanent residence or put it in a long term campground with no plans to move it after it's set in place"......

As Laredo Tugger said, you get the lobby groups, industry insiders, etc working against it, you also get "legitimate purchasers" who don't own such a vehicle and have no plans to ever need one..... Such laws are extremely difficult to enact because of all the "carve-outs" that are legitimate.... Besides (without getting too political) there's a whole world of much more important government business that has "world wide implicaitons" that isn't being worked on. Adding this to the pile, it might get looked at in 15 or 20 years based on priority.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #29
Laredo Tugger

Definitely a lot of dynamics in play on this topic.
Very fine points John.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #30
JJaxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
That would be nice. My 19 3500 SRW Bighorn short bed is only 3810. What is your GVW on that truck?
I think I remember it being 11,300. ??? But I'm not sure without looking at the window sticker in the file.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Just an observation (based on living in "good ole boy" country for years).....

Government enforcement of any law is "haphazard at best"... how many drivers do you see "driving and texting", exceeding the speed limit, not wearing a seat belt, running a stop sign, kids in the front seat, no registration, stolen license plate (from the wife's car to get to work), just to name a few....

Government regulations isn't the answer. Making people accountable for their actions is.... (IMHO)...

Now, assume Michigan (I'll pick on my own residence) enacts a law that dealerships MUST confirm the buyer has a vehicle capable to tow the trailer being purchased.... That buyer comes in with a rental 1 ton truck from Home Depot ($19.95 for 4 hours) or with his BIL's dually. He states, "I'm never going to tow unless I use this borrowed/rented truck"... How do you deny him the right to purchase the trailer????

Before you answer, think about the last 30 days on this forum and the number of threads where the buyer "bought a large travel trailer/fifth wheel "specifically to "park it on their property while they build a house, use it for 2 years as a permanent residence or put it in a long term campground with no plans to move it after it's set in place"......

As Laredo Tugger said, you get the lobby groups, industry insiders, etc working against it, you also get "legitimate purchasers" who don't own such a vehicle and have no plans to ever need one..... Such laws are extremely difficult to enact because of all the "carve-outs" that are legitimate.... Besides (without getting too political) there's a whole world of much more important government business that has "world wide implicaitons" that isn't being worked on. Adding this to the pile, it might get looked at in 15 or 20 years based on priority.....
Completely agree. First the "Appropriate tow vehicle statute" for trailers. Then what? Will you have a law stating that auto dealers are to REQUIRE purchasers of 7 passenger SUV's/minivans have their family weighed to ensure that they are not exceeding the carrying capacity?

While I agree it's a far from ideal system I don't see legislation solving it. We have laws against driving drunk,murder,rape, stealing, selling drugs, and yes overloading trucks.

You can't legislate morality or common sense. Education, IMHO is the only cure for societal ills.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #32
notanlines

Uh huh, I believe we need a whole raft of new laws in this country. We sure as hell don't have enough right now. We need to hire more LEO's to insure our youth wear helmets riding in the neighborhood, maybe a couple to insure we don't put the wrong refuse in the wrong can, and of course a few more to insure people have their payment ready when ordering in the fast food line. Give me a stinking break!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #33
Snoking

Quote:
I think I remember it being 11,300. ??? But I'm not sure without looking at the window sticker in the file.
For 2019 the 3500 CC 4x4 SB is 11,800 and LB 12,300. Chris
Old 11-05-2019, 04:10 PM   #34
tech740

Quote:
mine is only 11,800 at 3,810lbs

Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
Old 11-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #35
JJaxon

12,300 it is!! Thanks.
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John
Old 11-05-2019, 04:41 PM   #36
tech740

Quote:
12,300 it is!! Thanks.
Nice thanks

Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
Old 11-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Uh huh, I believe we need a whole raft of new laws in this country. We sure as hell don't have enough right now. We need to hire more LEO's to insure our youth wear helmets riding in the neighborhood, maybe a couple to insure we don't put the wrong refuse in the wrong can, and of course a few more to insure people have their payment ready when ordering in the fast food line. Give me a stinking break!

And there you go!! Raining on my parade!! Here I was thinking of all these new laws I could implement to make things the way "I" want it and poof, reality hits! Guess I've been watching so much off the wall political "junk rhetoric" I thought I could just snap my fingers and "WOW"! Oh well, back to reality...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote