Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
LakeEscape

Question Electrical Issues

We just purchased an Outback 332 FK and have it permanently parked at a lakeside campground where we spend weekends.

After having the unit set up for only a month, the living room lights will not turn on. The slide out lights work fine.

Then the bedroom lights quit working.

Then the water heater quit working.

The battery registers 13.8 volts.
The converter is fine.
The computerized control panel registers no volts.
Also registers that the grey and black tanks are full yet they have been pumped.

Camping world cannot work on it because it is permanently parked.
Keystone asked if we had the unit plugged in.
An independent service tech came out and cannot find a problem.
The tech was going to replace the board in the bathroom thinking maybe it was bad or a wire was loose.

No loose wires.

He is waiting for a response from Keystone but we have heard nothing in days.

Has anyone had this issue? Any suggestions?
LakeEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

What else works? Realize you have 2 power systems in the RV; AC and DC. Are the AC components working properly (Air conditioner, microwave, fireplace, ac outlets)? Have the DC components (lights etc.) just quit working one at a time? Is the hot water heater running on electric or propane? You have a converter that has to be charging the battery and you said it is fine and the batteries are fine; how do you know - what tests were performed? If the converter is find and functioning you have AC to make it work. Don't worry about the waste tanks for the time being - they usually read wrong.

Everything you mentioned is DC yet the battery is fine and the converter is fine - the 2 sources for DC. If things have just quit one by one you have a DC problem. If they all quit at once have you checked your bypass switch (if you have one). Another thing might be the control panel you mentioned; I do not have one but have read of many issues with them. Hopefully someone with one can chime in on their operation and/or problems.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
bob91yj

I had issues with my bedroom and bathroom lights on my Outback 330RL, I found that the tension on the clips that the fuse slips in to was loose. Hopefully it's something that simple.

I'm guessing that you already checked the battery cut off switch.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
LakeEscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What else works? Realize you have 2 power systems in the RV; AC and DC. Are the AC components working properly (Air conditioner, microwave, fireplace, ac outlets)? Have the DC components (lights etc.) just quit working one at a time? Is the hot water heater running on electric or propane? You have a converter that has to be charging the battery and you said it is fine and the batteries are fine; how do you know - what tests were performed? If the converter is find and functioning you have AC to make it work. Don't worry about the waste tanks for the time being - they usually read wrong.

Everything you mentioned is DC yet the battery is fine and the converter is fine - the 2 sources for DC. If things have just quit one by one you have a DC problem. If they all quit at once have you checked your bypass switch (if you have one). Another thing might be the control panel you mentioned; I do not have one but have read of many issues with them. Hopefully someone with one can chime in on their operation and/or problems.
Thanks for the reply!

Everything else works.

My husband is a retired maintenance man so he had the meters available to test the voltage. In addition, we had an RV repair tech come out and he could not find a problem and he also tested the battery.

The hot water heater is electric.

Not sure about a bypass switch, but will have them check it.
Thanks for all of the help
LakeEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:16 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

If things stopped working one at a time the bypass won't be the issue. When it is switched everything wired to it stops. Possibly you have individual component failure if they are just going out one by one. Could the converter output be off causing an overvoltage situation possibly? The heating element on the hwh is 120vac (heating element) so that's not part of the other 12vdc failures but I think I recall that the control board on the hwh is controlled by 12vdc - I could be wrong but I think I was checking that when I found the failed control board this spring on mine so that might tie back into the failures.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical