Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2017, 07:41 AM   #21
mfifield01

The topic had me thinking about checkpoints. Do border patrol checkpoints weigh as you go through?
Old 08-04-2017, 07:57 AM   #22
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There's another thread on the forum right now about the condition of the roads and a state by state comparison. What better way for states to collect money than from "tourists/travelers" crossing the border into their state? Just open an RV lane at the "entry point weigh stations" and check for compliance. Those that are "overweight" get a ticket (upcharge) and those that are "more than the average vehicle weight" (set by the state government) get to buy a permit..... Some say it will "kill tourism" but when every state does it, it's either stay home or buy the permit.

We are on the brink of needing a new transportation system (roads and bridges) and there's no money to pay for it. It's only a matter of time before RV'ers are included in that "bountiful income source" that's typically reserved for commercial truckers. (Ever see that decal on the back of a truck that reads, "This vehicle pays $5000 in road taxes per year" ???) Soon to apply to RV's too ??????
And that would generate a "trailer for sale sign" for me. The problem is the government, not the tax payers.

If the states would actually spend the fuel tax money on road maintenance instead of other progressive issues that I won't go into, we might not have the current state of roadway disrepair.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:08 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
The topic had me thinking about checkpoints. Do border patrol checkpoints weigh as you go through?
Not that I've ever witnessed. But, I will say that they have enough hi tech snooping equipment on the highway and through the checkpoint that I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't, or don't start in the future.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:13 AM   #24
mfifield01

I was thinking about the in state checkpoints. I've gone through the one north of Big Bend and north of Del Rio.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #25
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
And that would generate a "trailer for sale sign" for me. The problem is the government, not the tax payers.

If the states would actually spend the fuel tax money on road maintenance instead of other progressive issues that I won't go into, we might not have the current state of roadway disrepair.

^^^This!

The idea of no money for infrastructure is amusing. The money is already there, it is just spent on the wrong things.

Just quit with the "new" taxes idea. Cut spending!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #26
Javi

If y'all would research your state weight laws I think most of you would find that the limits do not exclude personal vehicles nor exempt RV's.. I know for a fact that Texas does not exempt privately owned vehicles from their weight laws... Enforcement is not pushed like it is for commercial... But it does happen....

When I ran the Fertilizer company, we allowed the DPS and local LEO's to use our scales and parking lot at all our terminals for inspections and holding..

I've seen everything from 16' tandem axle car trailers to big 5th wheels weighed and more than a few parked until someone with a proper vehicle or license showed up...

just because you don't see a trailer stopped every 100 yards don't mean they don't get stopped...
Old 08-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #27
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
If y'all would research your state weight laws I think most of you would find that the limits do not exclude personal vehicles nor exempt RV's.. I know for a fact that Texas does not exempt privately owned vehicles from their weight laws... Enforcement is not pushed like it is for commercial... But it does happen....

When I ran the Fertilizer company, we allowed the DPS and local LEO's to use our scales and parking lot at all our terminals for inspections and holding..

I've seen everything from 16' tandem axle car trailers to big 5th wheels weighed and more than a few parked until someone with a proper vehicle or license showed up...

just because you don't see a trailer stopped every 100 yards don't mean they don't get stopped...
Is it enforced on GAWR, GVWR, or both (in Texas)?
Old 08-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #28
Javi

Quote:
Is it enforced on GAWR, GVWR, or both (in Texas)?
Both.. 10K better be below 10K... although individually the Leo might give a fudge factor of a couple of hundred, it ain't guaranteed by any means...

Over on the axle is one ticket...

over on the gross is another...
Old 08-04-2017, 09:20 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I was thinking about the in state checkpoints. I've gone through the one north of Big Bend and north of Del Rio.

Yes, I was talking about in state checkpoints; primarily TX and NM.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Checkpoints at state lines is nothing new. Maybe "what they check for" might change, but years ago (July 1971 to be exact), California had checkpoints at the state line checking for produce, plants, flowers, etc. If you had them, dispose of them, eat them or donate them to the dumpster sitting by the checkpoint. We went through about 2AM, back then without A/C, we travelled at night. After a year at Edwards AFB, it was 116 at 4AM as we climbed the hills just west of Blythe. There was no checkpoint leaving, but the "westbound lanes" were backed up waiting to make their "declaration and enter the state"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #31
CaptnJohn

If we continue to see some crazy things on the roads and accidents checkpoints and being pulled over will become normal. I recently saw an Escalade pulling at TT at about 80 mph. The hitch area was looking like a 'V', headlights had to reach the moon. Saw a 1/2 ton pulling a 5er that no amount of air bags could level. This one doing about 20 mph on a slight grade. Then the recent video of the mid-size SUV sliding a long TT down the highway. If LEO were more pro-active on the idiots the foolish ones would get away longer and the rest would not become inconvenienced.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #32
B-O-B'03

Quote:
I believe those are customs and border patrol check points, they ask citizenship and what are you bringing in type questions ("is there anyone riding in the camper?").

You do not what to be in line for the one between Study Butte and Alpine, after the Chili Cook off

One of my favorite places to go.

-Brian
Old 08-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #33
busterbrown

RV check points will never happen in my life time nor during my young children's life time. Too much bureaucracy and government control that middle america would never create interstate regulations for recreational vehicles.

Everyone talks about how they (me included) see the occasional 'albeit dangerous' overweight TV. But what boggles my mind is the much larger problem of smart phone use by everyday drivers. Never seen one RV involved fatality (or injury) in all the hospitals I've worked in during my 20 year career. On the other hand, can't even count the number of trauma victims I've managed care for when involved with someone texting.

There's your revenue stream for the 'new and improved' national highway system: enforcement of strict "eyes-on-the-road" laws.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:18 PM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

States that weigh "payload"?

California has some very tough laws regarding texting while driving. Can't say I've seen many pulled over, but I can't count the number I see texting. While I agree with you, and the intention of the law, enforcement is near impossible because people just set the phone down for a minute. You can't "lose weight" for a few minutes.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #35
Desert185

When the roads are littered with overweight RV's that caused death and destruction, maybe gov will do something about it. I just don't see the body count to justify the increased workload for DOT and LE.

There are bigger fish to fry than hitting on the RV family trying to have a good time. I vote for industry education rather than enforcement.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:08 PM   #36
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
When the roads are littered with overweight RV's that caused death and destruction, maybe gov will do something about it. I just don't see the body count to justify the increased workload for DOT and LE.

There are bigger fish to fry than hitting on the RV family trying to have a good time. I vote for industry education rather than enforcement.
If you read many of the posts here quite a few see the numbers as a goal to pass so the education is there ~~ just ignored.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:25 PM   #37
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
enforcement is near impossible because people just set the phone down for a minute.
When I lived in Phoenix about 10 years ago, there were more traffic enforcement cameras in the suburbs than drivers. Most were for speeders. Change the focus and target "texters" by adding additional video equipment that would more affordable and advanced since I was there. The first month of issued citations alone would pay the upfront infrastructure costs.

Look into the eyes of a victim's surviving spouse a few times and you realize that enforcement needs to be more than just 'officers on patrol'.

Although, now that I think about it, weekend enforcement 'ground' blitzes have proved successful in my area in the past. They are just few and far between.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Some thoughts on towing

Do overloaded RVs/ towing kill lots of people? Who knows? Do those same folks pose a risk to normal/regular driving folks? Absolutely. Are government entities trying to (at this time) trying to target RV folks? No. Could they at any minute? Yes. Would it be super simple? Yes. So, from a person that has driven 100.000 miles per year in the past and tried to negotiate all the dimwits on the road:

ANY RV/towing vehicle cited for exceeding the speed limit more than 5 mph should have the vehicle/RV impounded for 3 days and a $500 fine. All RV/tow vehicle combinations should be checked by state troopers....just as they do the commercial vehicles. If you are out of compliance you are stopped and impounded - if you exceed ANY legal limitation on your truck/trailer combo minimum fine $1000, exceed limitations by 10%, fine $5000, loss of license, . As far as driving while occupied by your phone or ? for texting etc.; first offense for texting and driving...$500, 3 days in jail and loss of device. 2nd offense; $1000 fine, 10 days in jail, loss of device. 3rd offence would be $5000, 1 year in prison, loss of device and loss of vehicle.

Those are my thoughts on how I feel about people that would put you, and others lives, in peril for really stupid things. JMHO Let the fun begin....
Old 08-06-2017, 04:39 AM   #39
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Some thoughts on towing

Do overloaded RVs/ towing kill lots of people? Who knows? Do those same folks pose a risk to normal/regular driving folks? Absolutely. Are government entities trying to (at this time) trying to target RV folks? No. Could they at any minute? Yes. Would it be super simple? Yes. So, from a person that has driven 100.000 miles per year in the past and tried to negotiate all the dimwits on the road:

ANY RV/towing vehicle cited for exceeding the speed limit more than 5 mph should have the vehicle/RV impounded for 3 days and a $500 fine. All RV/tow vehicle combinations should be checked by state troopers....just as they do the commercial vehicles. If you are out of compliance you are stopped and impounded - if you exceed ANY legal limitation on your truck/trailer combo minimum fine $1000, exceed limitations by 10%, fine $5000, loss of license, . As far as driving while occupied by your phone or ? for texting etc.; first offense for texting and driving...$500, 3 days in jail and loss of device. 2nd offense; $1000 fine, 10 days in jail, loss of device. 3rd offence would be $5000, 1 year in prison, loss of device and loss of vehicle.

Those are my thoughts on how I feel about people that would put you, and others lives, in peril for really stupid things. JMHO Let the fun begin....

You don't get my vote.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:20 AM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

The way I see it (Could be wrong) it's all about "ATTITUDE" and "PAYING THE PRICE OF ADMISSION".....

Let me explain: It seems to me that as our society becomes more affluent, people have more "disposable income" to spend on the things they want. Some people want "things" some people want "privilege".

Not too many years ago, Texas (if I remember correctly) started a program of building "high speed roads" with no speed limit. You pay a toll to use that road and "go as fast as you want" or you "live with the slow road" and if you speed and get caught, you pay a fine. The fine is "money only, no points" so essentially it boiled down to "pay to go as fast as you want or pay if you get caught without any other penalty".... What that did is create a "mindset" of "I can ignore the law, pay if they catch me and there's no consequence"......

Now we have people who believe that speeding is OK, you just have to pay if you get caught, and you get to speed again tomorrow and, well, if they catch me, I'll be unlucky and have to pay again.... <sigh>

So, from that "mindset" we've "taught a generation" of drivers not to be responsible for their actions (beyond their wallet). It's the "price of admission for the privilege of ignoring the law"..... And, unfortunately, they simply don't see any impact on anyone other than themselves. There's no risk to the others on the road, no risk to anybody but them and when they "pay the fine" they're no longer "in trouble".... That mindset is "guilty only if I can't pay the fine"...

Simple, instant gratification and it only cost me $110. Hell, I can afford it....

Now, apply that to RV weights, seat belts, texting, watching movies on the navigation screen (with that unlock brick) or most anything that "people do for their instant gratification"......

Once we make the punishment "harsh enough to affect more than a couple hours of pay" things will change, or at least offenders will have some "skin in the game" when it comes to their choices... Right now, it's just "paying the ticket and doing it again as soon as the cop is out of sight".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote