Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2017, 07:12 AM   #1
CamperDave

Hardwire EMS Question

Hello, I did a search and came up dry on this topic that is specific to the 2017 Outback 293UBH so If I missed something, I apologize in advance.

Has anyone installed a hardwired EMS with remote in this unit? If so, did you install it next to the converter or other location? I would like to install nearest to the electrical inlet as possible but there is no access without cutting an access panel in the rear bedroom storage area. If my only other option is to remove the breaker panel and install there, I certainly will. It would be nice to know before I tear into it. The dealership PDI was worthless, they couldn't tell me where anything was. I knew more about the working of the trailer than he did. That's another story....

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, and if nobody has done this one, I will certainly document the entire process then post for others to reference.

Thanks in advance!

-CamperDave
CamperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Tons of information on EMS types as well as how members have installed them. Do a search on "EMS" or "Surge"
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:37 AM   #3
CamperDave

Thanks PARAPTOR! Mostly what I have seen in all my searches have been easy access from a panel or door.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:43 AM   #4
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

I installed mine in a cubby just above the main breaker panel. There is no door to cover it up, however it is in a small cubby so it isn't too much of an eyesore. I had to cut two holes to run the wire to and from the EMS. I also installed the remote display on a nearby wall at eye level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #5
B-O-B'03

I installed mine behind the converter/electrical panel.

I also added an extra AC outlet, with USB charging ports, while I was in there.

-Brian
Old 04-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #6
CamperDave

Outback 325BH - A cubby would be nice, however, my breaker panel is located directly under the oven.

Brian- My hot water tank is where your breaker panel is. Thanks for the pics! Yours is in a great location, anytime you have a chance to add an outlet is a plus, especially if it has USB charging ports.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #7
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperDave View Post
Outback 325BH - A cubby would be nice, however, my breaker panel is located directly under the oven.

Brian- My hot water tank is where your breaker panel is. Thanks for the pics! Yours is in a great location, anytime you have a chance to add an outlet is a plus, especially if it has USB charging ports.
Could you not mount it behind the breaker panel, there should enough room, unless there is something else in the space?

-Brian
Old 04-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Could you not mount it behind the breaker panel, there should enough room, unless there is something else in the space?

-Brian

I wanted to put mine behind the breaker box, however my converter is located there.

Interesting how many different configurations these campers have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #9
sconner

I did the same as B-O-B'03. Pulled out the breaker panel and installed it behind it. Was easier than I thought. I also did the same as B-O-B'03 and installed a new breaker and an additional plug exactly where he did. The only difference is, additionally, I also added a plug to the outside that wires directly to a second duplex outlet right next to the one wired off of the breaker panel. That way I have an additional 110v 15Amp circuit for a heater that doesn't use up my camper 30amp. Granted, when I use it I'm relying on the camp site's breaker.
sconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

There is almost always enough room behind the breaker panel to install an EMS. That said, there are only 4 screws that hold the breaker panel in place, so it's a simple process to remove it to check. Be sure to unplug shore power before you start removing the panel. At most, it's a 10 minute job to get a #2 Roberts screwdriver, unplug shore power, pull the 4 screws and check it out.... With the information gained, moving to the next step (planning where to install the EMS) is much easier to do.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #11
CamperDave

Thanks guys! I tend to agree about installing behind the breaker panel. It appears to have plenty of room back there.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #12
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperDave View Post
Thanks guys! I tend to agree about installing behind the breaker panel. It appears to have plenty of room back there.
For mine I was able to just cut the existing cord and connect it to either end of the EMS.

-Brian
Old 04-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #13
xrated

I know, totally different trailer, ect., but I ended up putting mine in the baggage compartment right next to the transfer switch, since I was installing on the load side of the T.S.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote