Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #21
Dave W

I drain a few ounces into a glass bottle and check mine every couple thousand miles (owner's manual says once a month) and so far my Job 1, supposedly the worst of the 6.7's, '11 and at 99,000 miles has never had a drop of water. There is a WIF (water in fuel) sensor in that canister that will throw a code and dash light if you ever have any water. I also have a locking fuel cap just to keep possible pranksters at bay and will add a locking DEF cap if they ever become available.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #22
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
How often do you drain the frame canister? Have you ever had water in it? A friend says he has never had any.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
I have ~500,000 miles on Cummins diesels and have never had water in the fuel nor a light indicating water. I have had to replace the (four) o-rings in the fuel filter cannister drain. This problem may come at an inopportune time, so I am reluctant to do a drain on the road. If I check it, I always do it at home where I have a supply of o-rings.

I also feel it is a good idea to carry a spare fuel filter in the truck at all times...and a wrench to change the filter. You never know when the filter might need changing.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #23
SAABDOCTOR

VERY NICE TRUCK. THE MORE I READ THE MORE I WORK ON THE NEW STUFF THE MORE I PRAY MY 05 DOESN'T GET TOTALED BY SOME IDIOT
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #24
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Since both Ford and Chevy use the same pump... Bosch CP4.2 series HPFP I always get a kick out of these type comments...

Are you denying the problem exists? If so there is no convincing you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #25
notanlines

Robert, whose diesel do you pull your outback with. I noticed your profile was missing this....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #26
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
Are you denying the problem exists? If so there is no convincing you.

Exactly what problem are you referring to... warranty denial or bad hardware...

If hardware, then Chevrolet would have the same issues... same pump.

If warranty is the issue that you are all wound up about... that there is a personal problem for the one that was denied. But other than a couple of folks posting on every forum they can find in an effort to influence public opinion against Ford, legitimately or not... I have never actually witnessed anyone having a warranty claim on a bad pump that the damage couldn't be traced to bad fuel, or in at least two cases DEF in the fuel. Oh and three that partially filled their tank with gasoline and drove it until it shut down.

All of those who were denied most likely could have gotten their insurance company to pay, but decided to fight Ford instead.

Lastly I also personally know one such individual who after being denied warranty went on to have the repair covered by insurance, then went on to trash Ford because he wasn't man enough to admit that HE poured 2 1/2 gallons of DEF in his own fuel tank... Only people who take him seriously nowadays live on the Internet. [emoji6]

Javi
Old 04-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #27
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Exactly what problem are you referring to... warranty denial or bad hardware...

You're right, just my imagination. Nothing to see here.

Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #28
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
You're right, just my imagination. Nothing to see here.

Glad you figured it out...
Old 04-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #29
Dave W

Bosch CP4.2 derivative series HPFP ...... used by, to name a few, Ford, GM, VW, Audi, Nissan, BMW, Jeepetc, etc, etc. An amazing revelation. No, Cummins does not use that pump but the OP noted his pain with a Ram. Now why, tell me, does this failure mode make Ford unique? I repeat, Gloom and Doom if you own a diesel powered vehicle according to some.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #30
bsmith0404

Yes several manufacturers use a similar pump. They are not the same, same series, but different variances of it. So far I have seen discussion about Ford and VW having problems and they both are denying warranty saying it's caused by contaminated fuel. The problem is that the pump starts to come apart, aluminum shavings get into the fuel, and since the filter is before the pump the shavings end up in the fuel rails. The entire system after the pump needs to be replaced. There have also been several turbo failures on the Fords and it's being blamed on an undersized turbo being spun too fast to create the required boost required for the engine. That's supposedly been fixed for 2017. The turbos are being replaced under warranty.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:32 AM   #31
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Yes several manufacturers use a similar pump. They are not the same, same series, but different variances of it. So far I have seen discussion about Ford and VW having problems and they both are denying warranty saying it's caused by contaminated fuel. The problem is that the pump starts to come apart, aluminum shavings get into the fuel, and since the filter is before the pump the shavings end up in the fuel rails. The entire system after the pump needs to be replaced. There have also been several turbo failures on the Fords and it's being blamed on an undersized turbo being spun too fast to create the required boost required for the engine. That's supposedly been fixed for 2017. The turbos are being replaced under warranty.
Neither of those problems are really all that common. A small percentage. GM had just as many fuel pump failures, it's just as equally documented. I just love how a guy can't even come on here and announce he bought a new truck without an all out brand war breaking out. To the OP, sorry bud, congrats once again though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:57 AM   #32
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
Neither of those problems are really all that common. A small percentage. GM had just as many fuel pump failures, it's just as equally documented. I just love how a guy can't even come on here and announce he bought a new truck without an all out brand war breaking out. To the OP, sorry bud, congrats once again though.

I don't think it's a brand war, I see it as one person posting a concern with a problem that some Ford owners are experiencing. Actually, GM fuel pump failures are not as well documented. Two reasons, one- GM uses a different filtering system which may be preventing failures, two- GM is not denying warranty work with claims of contaminated fuel like Ford is. Obviously if you have a new truck and get a $5k warranty repair denied, you're going to scream a bit louder. Personally, if I was the OP and was not aware of these issues prior to buying the truck, I would be grateful to this group for brining up a concern that I need to watch for. I would now be very cautious with the fuel I purchase, no cheap gas stations. I would do some research and get the best fuel filters I could find, regardless of price. I would also be draining the water on a regular basis per the owners manual, and documenting it. If the problem ever occurs, he will have more information to fight for his warranty claim.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 04-12-2017, 04:15 AM   #33
larry337

I read several forums, including duramax, and I bet I've seen more cp4 failures in dmax than ford. Regardless, I believe all 3 make a good truck. The vast majority do what they are designed to do. Buy what you like and enjoy.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 04-12-2017, 04:30 AM   #34
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
I read several forums, including duramax, and I bet I've seen more cp4 failures in dmax than ford. Regardless, I believe all 3 make a good truck. The vast majority do what they are designed to do. Buy what you like and enjoy.

Fair enough. I read Dmax forums too, can't say I've read about denied warranty claims. Yes, buy what you like and enjoy. However, if there is a documented concern, take precautionary measures so you don't fall victim to the same problem that others have had. As they say, learn from others mistakes/problems.

I see you have a new Ford as well and I'm sure you like your new truck, that's why you bought it. Why not take some precautionary measures to make sure you don't have the same problem as others have had? If you say GM is having HPFP problems just like Ford is, and they use the same fuel pump, then you are acknowledging the fact that there is a potential problem. The difference is the warranty repair being made or denied. If I could take steps to make sure the repair was made IF a problem occurred, I would. I don't like giving out the spare $5k that I have laying on the nightstand.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 04-12-2017, 04:54 AM   #35
larry337

I'm aware of the potential problems. Everything done to my trucks is done by the dealer and I'm always ahead of schedule on all my maintenance. Just in case, everything is documented. This is my 3rd diesel super duty. I had a 6.4, a 6.7 and now this. I've never had any of the so called Internet problems, never been stranded, and never had a breakdown. I had a cooling line leak, and a couple of EGT sensors in 7 years and 160k miles. I drive a semi for a living. I know how to take care of a vehicle. I also know that anything mechanical can fail at any time. All 3 have issues, but I still believe the majority are good trucks with pros and cons. It just seems talking trucks with grown men is like talking politics or religion, better off staying away from it! All I'm sayin is let the guy enjoy his new truck for petes sake. If someone wants to research trucks the information ain't hard to find. I'm sure after this thread I'm jinxed now and my new truck will be sure to break down!

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 04-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #36
bsmith0404

I think everyone here wants him to enjoy his new truck and not end up as one of the people who has the nightmare/horror story to tell. That's why words of caution have been shared with some recommendations of preventive maintenance he can do with his new toy. I have done the same for some duramax owners, recommended things they can do to improve the reliability of their trucks. I've put over 200k miles on different duramax trucks and I have done and recommended upgrades to improve reliability. I also have several friends and family members with a duramax and know what they have experienced/done. IMO, performance upgrades are not required on any of them, but they all have a potential weak link that can be improved upon to reduce risk, improve reliability, and increase the enjoyment factor. I don't have an issue with anyone pointing out potential risks/problems and some things that can be done to minimize them.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 04-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #37
Javi

I know that there are potential problems with any of the newer diesel trucks and none of them are immune...

I've driven diesel pickups since the early 80's; for several years averaging 100K a year in them... I know how to take care of my equipment, buy fuel at high volume outlets, and since I started driving the newer Super Duty's I've used a Ford dealer for all oil and filter changes so that it is all documented, just in case...

That being said... I know two relatively high volume Ford truck dealers who I visit with on a frequent basis.. I've asked both of these guys on many occasions about Ford denying warranty on the pump and both tell me that since 2011 neither of them has had a claim on a pump denied... I know it has happened... And I know personally at least three individuals who were denied because of water, gas and DEF in their fuel and all three of these individuals are to this day blaming Ford for denying there warranty.... I know of a few more through forums and work associations who have had issues with both Ford and Chevy fuel systems...

It just gets old... take personal responsibility...
Old 04-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #38
pawpaw

I made it to 1K miles and my engine is still running...guess I can pull the trailer now!!
Old 04-12-2017, 02:58 PM   #39
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
I made it to 1K miles and my engine is still running...guess I can pull the trailer now!! [emoji38]
Congratulations, hook up and get 'er done

Javi
Old 04-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #40
pawpaw

Quote:
Congratulations, hook up and get 'er done

Javi
I hooked up to the trailer last week but only have 4 inches of clearance at the top of the tailgate. Going to go up one more notch on the fifth wheel and get it on level ground where I can check it out. Darn '17's are real high in the rear and my driveway goes up an incline to make it worse. Been real busy with some projects before it gets too hot to work outside. Just finished getting 2 loads of dirt spread around my RV cover and slab...mosquitoes chased us inside at dusk. I'll finish up tomorrow with my atv and grating to level it out. Throw down some Bermuda seed and let Mother Nature do the rest!