Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
kennyskywalker

Water heater question

I understand that I have a 6 gallon gas/electric water heater, what im trying to figure out is how to utilize the electric element only versus using gas. I think I have a switch on the outside near water heater and how long does it take electric to heat 6 gallon tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
kennyskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:13 PM   #2
Jeff & Tzigane

It takes longer to heat with the electric element. With the gas it heats pretty quick so the hot water lasts longer?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Before you start playing with the HWT controls, make sure it is filled with water. Based on your post, I assume you have found the gas section switch. On many units the switch for the electric portion is either right next to the gas switch, near by, or has no switch at all. In the last case it may be the just the AC breaker in your power distribution panel which is what I have in the Raptor. Note the switch on the outside of the HWT must be on.

ADDED: in either case time will depend on temp of water entering the rig. Note they both can be turned on for quick recovery
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Water heater question

The switch on the outside lower left corner turns on the electric element. If there isn't a switch inside then that's the only one needed if your plugged into shore power.

Depending on what the temp of the supply water is, 15-20 minutes to get full temp to full tank.

The gas switch has no effect on the electric side. However if you are plugged into shore power and have BOTH gas and electric on you will have hot water faster and will have faster recovery. I run both anytime it's possible.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:22 PM   #5
theeyres

Most rigs in the last several years have a switch on a control panel or somewhere around the kitchen that controls the electric and gas for the water heater. In that case you leave the switch on the heater on and use the ones inside the trailer to turn it off or on.

If I drain the water tank I turn off the switch on the tank just to be double safe that I don't accidentally turn on the switch inside and burn out the heating element.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:04 AM   #6
Tbos

The majority of the time we use just electric and both of us can shower with hot water. We do hit the button on the Oxygenics shower head to save when showering since we don't want to fill the gray tank too quickly. Have never run out of hot water. 6 gallons goes a long way unless you let the shower just run.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater