Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
captcolour

Newbie question: stowing for the road

Interested in hearing how people store items inside the RV while towing. Drawers seem straight forward as things won't fall out. What about cabinets with shelves? Where do dishes go or does everyone use plastic ware? Same for cups, glasses, coffee mugs? Thanks!
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Corelle dishes here. Coffee mugs ride in a cabinet on non slip mats. I didn't want to install any hooks. Just keep in mind, further back in the coach, more bounce.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
SummitPond

We have some of those small clear plastic storage bins that we keep dishes (Corelle), cups, pantry-type food and cooking spices in. We don't use the tops on them; they just sit in the cupboard. Paper goods and place mats go in a drawer under the U-shaped dinette along with pots and pans.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

We use plastic cups, corelle dishware, paper plates, plastic/glass cups etc. Whatever works. We use non slip covering on ALL shelves everywhere. We store things for travel in a way that they sort of "protect" themselves. We use the little expandable bars in many places and use wooden spoons with a cloth covering ( so they won't scratch) across the handles of adjoining cabinet doors. Works well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
Thundershorts

X2 on the no slip mats in all the cupboards and Correlle dishes. I only had a problem once with a pantry door sliding open, due to a faulty latch. Fixed that, and no more issues.
Thundershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
Murmaids

Women here, and of course you can't always eat off from paper and plastic. We simply bought the non-linear shelf liner which comes in the rolls. Most women know what I am talking about. If really worried you can cut pieces of the liner to place between your plates, bowls, etc. If you want to carry items on your bed, just roll out some of the liner paper, it won't allow things to slide. Plants, they store safely in your sink, keeps any dirk all contained. If you don't have a big basement area like the 5th wheels offer, tables, chairs, etc. Can be stored in your TT, but you'll want to put something like a throw or floor rugs between those things and any wood, or furniture. Hope this helps. Trying to think what the lady of the trailer might be concerned with.

Mary an Ann

(A mystical creature seen on or near the water by sailors)
Murmaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #7
Murphsmom

A lot of the things we do are already covered (pressure bars in front of plastic "glassware", shelf liner, totes, house plant in the sink, etc). We are some of those oddballs who still use a Pyrex top-of-the-stove coffeepot. That gets stowed in a shoebox sized plastic tote with washcloths inside around the fragile glass parts and dish towels crammed around the outside of the pot to cushion it. We have never had a problem with it as long as it is stowed like that. HOWEVER, the one time I didn't see it and left it on top of the stove, it jumped off onto the floor. The body of the pot broke, but not the innards. We had a heck of a time finding a "new" one. Several second hand stores later, we managed to get one for around ten bucks. Whew! I hope we can get as many years out of this one as we did from the last. It will most likely outlive both of us.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:29 AM   #8
canesfan

Non slip shelf liner. Pack breakable stuff in with non-breakable stuff to cushion it. Just use common sense. Pack things tightly so they don't have room to "rattle around". For food, pack cans between bottles and jars, sometimes a small box helps keep things "contained". I don't use any "breakable" dishware that I can think of besides a few coffee mugs. I don't want to do dishes when I'm camping. Paper plates and bowls that go in the fire afterward. Put some hot soapy water in the sink and let utensils soak until I get to them. I do reuse my plasticware. Eco friendly.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

One basic concept of packing any vehicle, a concept that we all probably take for granted, but that bears consideration EVERY time we pack for a trip is to follow the "common sense approach" of keeping the center of gravity as low as we can for travel. By that, I mean simply to always pack heavy items close to the floor and lighter items higher, in overhead cabinets, etc. We do this for safety reasons, so the trailer isn't as "top heavy" but also because heavy items that fall from overhead cabinets tend to cause more damage than a blanket or a towel would cause.

So, try to keep canned goods, heavy pots, canisters of sugar and similar items as close to the floor as you reasonably can and store lightweight items like towels, blankets, boxes of cereal, bread and chips in the upper cabinets. If a door should open, there's less potential that a box of Cheerios would chip the countertop or destroy the plastic sink. You may have a "mess to clean up" but at least you won't be faced with trying to find replacements for the damaged components.

We all, well most of us, find a routine that works for us. We are creatures of habit and you'll find we each "store the coffee pot" in a place where we feel comfortable it will be safe. The "key to success", I think, is finding that routine, following it and feeling confident that it works for us. You'll get there, and when you do, you'll feel "good about travel" when you follow your routine and you'll feel "uneasy" if you "run your checklist" and believe you forgot something...... Find your "comfort zone", follow your routine and always try to keep to your "routine" ......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #10
Mandolin

Since the most useful (obviously IMO) for plates, cups, glasses etc is in the upper cabinets, we bought two of those sliding child lock things that goes over two adjacent knobs. They only go on during travel.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #11
66joej

We found out how good those child sliding locks are. Forgot to put the one on the liquor cabinet which was above the counter. Were on a red wine kick at the time. A BIG mess! Truly amazing how big a mess 6 bottles of red wine makes. Hard stuff was in plastic 60s thank goodness. After that booze was stored down low and double checked to make sure locks were on.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #12
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
We found out how good those child sliding locks are. Forgot to put the one on the liquor cabinet which was above the counter. Were on a red wine kick at the time. A BIG mess! Truly amazing how big a mess 6 bottles of red wine makes. Hard stuff was in plastic 60s thank goodness. After that booze was stored down low and double checked to make sure locks were on.
UGH!!! Like John said, I keep the heavy stuff down low and the lighter stuff up top. Makes sense from both a weight (top heavy) perspective as well as a mess (red wine or other "stuff") perspective. Just use common sense and stop and think about what you are doing and what the potential consequences may be.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
66joej

canesfan: "Just use common sense and stop and think about what you are doing and what the potential consequences may be."

Now you sound like my partner Adele.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #14
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
canesfan: "Just use common sense and stop and think about what you are doing and what the potential consequences may be."

Now you sound like my partner Adele.
Too bad you're so far away, otherwise we could get together and share some drinks and laughs. Just don't put stuff away "after" the drinks.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:07 PM   #15
trucker LOU

I do leather tooling as a hobby,here is my solution to keep doors closed.---Lou---
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	12051   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0813.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	12052  
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:57 AM   #16
captcolour

Very nice!
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:43 AM   #17
jsmith948

All very good advice - keep your weight low and evenly distributed side to side.
Some of our roads can be pretty rough so we always place the non-slip shelf lining between the plates/pots as mentioned earlier.
I would like to share something I learned the hard way when I hauled palletized (sp?) beer. Keep a "steady hand" on the wheel. Enter and exit driveways SLOWLY to avoid the coach rocking side to side and when negotiating curves, turn the wheel gently - don't "whip" the wheel. Slow and easy will help keep your cargo (contents of your cabinets) in the cabinets. Back in the day the beer wasn't stretch wrapped except for the last two stacks. We relied on the forklift driver keeping the load snug as he loaded. After having to re-stack beer and getting chewed out by the receiver for having broken bottles and dented cans, I learned to be easy on the throttle, easy on the brakes and gentle on the wheel. FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:00 AM   #18
Blackbears

Thumbs up !

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Put some hot soapy water in the sink and let utensils soak until I get to them. I do reuse my plasticware. Eco friendly.
I wish everyone would commit to this or at least this idea could be encouraged
Blackbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:15 AM   #19
Barbell

In a previous life, I hauled livestock in a straight truck as well as a gooseneck trailer. Fat hogs on a deck or tall steers make a rig pretty top heavy so you learn pretty quick to take it easy. Works pretty well with the fiver as well. Generally our clothes hangers stay put and cabinets and drawers stay closed.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, tow, towing