Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2017, 06:11 AM   #1
Tbos

Ford, Chevy, or Ram?

I'm looking at getting a late model used (2012 or later) or maybe new 1 ton dually. Trying to figure out which truck brand will suit me the best. I'm interested in your opinions and experiences regarding towing, reliability, and maintenance. Thanks in advance.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:16 AM   #2
cardinal96ss

Tbos, you have likely started a very long thread. I'll get it going by saying that I love our 2013 Silverado LTZ 3500 dually. It provides plenty of towing power and gives a great comfortable ride both when towing or not. Mileage is 11-16 mpg. No problems so far.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:22 AM   #3
66joej

Are you towing your current RV with the new truck? If yes a dually would be overkill. JMO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:39 AM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Are you towing your current RV with the new truck? If yes a dually would be overkill. JMO
I haven't seen any particular criteria for that determination outside of personal opinion... I can't think of a single downside to a dually towing his current trailer..
Old 02-17-2017, 06:41 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I haven't seen any particular criteria for that determination outside of personal opinion... I can't think of a single downside to a dually towing his current trailer..
I agree 100%.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:47 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

I AGREE ON THE DUALLY! As to which brand well i'll go get my helmet and flack jacket can't live through another which truck is best thread! find a truck that you like with the options you want and have a great time
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:36 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The answer to the "Which is better, Ford, Chevy, or Ram?" question is simply, "YES" (whatever 'thrills" you).....

That said, if you're buying new, the easy way to get the right truck is to buy (or special order) what you want after running the numbers to make sure that the truck has the capacity to do what you want it to do.

If you're buying a "used" truck, then you're pretty much in a position of looking until you find the truck you need (or the truck you will "settle for"). Depending on what you're looking for, that may be very difficult. You may find "exactly the truck" you're looking for, in a Ford, but you wanted XX. You may find "exactly the truck" you're looking for, but it's blue and you wanted red. You may find "exactly the truck" you're looking for, but the truck bed is damaged. You may find "exactly the truck" you're looking for, but it has 300,000 miles on it and the driver's seat is completely "wallered out". You might find "exactly the truck" you're looking for, but the dealership won't negotiate the price and it's way to expensive...

Buying used puts you in a position of "taking what's available". Sometimes you can find it by going to one dealership, sometimes you search for weeks, months, maybe years and never find "exactly what you want"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
I AGREE ON THE DUALLY! As to which brand well i'll go get my helmet and flack jacket can't live through another which truck is best thread! find a truck that you like with the options you want and have a great time
Love it !!!!, Thanks for the heads up, going to dig out my gear
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

I know dualies are nice but there IS a downside to them . They won't fit in a regular garage - which is mandatory for us. Sitting under our pecan trees would ruin the finish on a truck in a season unless I washed it every few days....which I don't want to do or add onto the house to enlarge the garage A 2500 is hard enough to get in there with all my "stuff"

As far as which brand is best.....I've owned new trucks from each of the big 3. I was a Chevy guy, then a Ford guy and now I'm a Ram guy (I know; not much of a fanatic). They all make good trucks these days. I buy a truck based on whatever criteria is important to me at the time. I think everyone is the same so we have fervent advocates for each of the big 3....nothing wrong with that. Just pick what fits your needs and put it to use.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #10
Tbos

Ford, Chevy, or Ram?

I will eventually upgrade to a 5er once I sell the house next year. Hence the search for a dually diesel. I have friends that are die hard GM and others that are the same for Fords. I'm interested in what issues you've had, etc... and why you bought the truck you did. My list of must haves is smaller than the DWs. But since I'm the primary driver I think I'll win out overall. Anything bigger than my 1500 won't fit in my garage and I'm not looking forward to scraping frost off before I can go to work. I've had a garage for 8 years now but when the house is gone the garage goes too. I appreciate everyone's inputs. I also understand everyone has their own opinion. I'm interested in knowing what helped you form that opinion. Thanks again.

Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #11
Desert185

This is very similar to asking what kind of woman you should marry. What works for one sure as heck isn't going to work for another.

Make sure you drive it before you buy it, because you're the one making the decision and living with it. You have to make a like connection with the truck.

Don't overlook/omit limited slip on the rear diff.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:08 AM   #12
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I will eventually upgrade to a 5er once I sell the house next year. Hence the search for a dually diesel. I have friends that are die hard GM and others that are the same for Fords. I'm interested in what issues you've had, etc... and why you bought the truck you did. My list of must haves is smaller than the DWs. But since I'm the primary driver I think I'll win out overall. Anything bigger than my 1500 won't fit in my garage and I'm not looking forward to scraping frost off before I can go to work. I've had a garage for 8 years now but when the house is gone the garage goes too. I appreciate everyone's inputs. I also understand everyone has their own opinion. I'm interested in knowing what helped you form that opinion. Thanks again.

get your popcorn ready...

I'll save the frost issue for you...buy anything with remote start..
Old 02-18-2017, 04:22 AM   #13
Jime

I tow with a 2013 F-250, 6.7 Diesel, King Ranch, had air bags installed-Love it. 3710fl Montana.

My son tow with a 2015 Dodge Big Horn, Diesel, had air bags installed, not sure model of 5er but approx. 40' Alpine. He loves it.

Find what appeals to your eye and enjoy!
Jime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:22 AM   #14
bsmith0404

As you can tell, everyone is avoiding the question. Kind of a forum etiquette to not argue over which brand is better. You want to know what formed our opinions and our experiences so I'll give you that. Keep in mind for just about everything I say, good or bad, someone else's opinion/reasons could be 180 degrees.

I have GM, why? Main reason is that's what I grew up with. My dad always drove GM. I've owned one Dodge and will never own another. I've never owned a Ford.

My thoughts for the diesels. Cummins is very simple yet effective engine, my experience as a transporter is that they didn't get as good of fuel mileage as GM, but for the average person who only drives a few thousand miles per year, that's not really an issue. Not worth making a decision on a truck over a few dollars per month in fuel. I don't trust their transmissions or front ends and their seats have been known to give out early. You can google that for more information. I would say the Cummins has been known to go further than the others, but it depends on how long you plan to keep it to determine if this is a concern. Are you looking for a 1,000,000 mile engine or a 500,000 mile? I don't intend to keep mine that long, so I don't care either way. I don't like the mirrors.

With the GM, the Allison transmission is arguably the best in the industry. The early Dmax (01-04) had injector issues, they added extended warranty to account for that. The years you're looking at have had that problem corrected. The seats are known to be one of the most comfortable of the 3. I have 150,000 miles on my truck and the seat is still like new, including the leather. But there is one member on here that absolutely hates the seats in the GM and he drives a Ford because of it. GM does not have a lift pump which has caused some problems over the years. Some of us have added FASS systems to remedy that. The FASS system also provides better fuel filtering and air separation so it serves multiple purposes. I also like the torsion bar suspension system better on the GM. As for mine, over 150k miles I have changed the #2 Nox sensor in the exhaust under warranty at 48k miles (it was a known problem with the 2011), one Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor at 120k miles, and the engine block heater under recall, they had a problem with some of them leaking coolant. I have added a deeper pan to the Allison and completed a double fluid change to Transynd fluid which and Allison tech said is the best to use and is good for 150k miles. I also added a deeper differential cover to help with fluid cooling and rear end life (an upgrade I'd recommend regardless of brand). I found the Eaton rear end that GM uses is very fussy as to which type of fluid you use. Mobil 1 or the OE grape juice seem to be the only reliable options. I tried another brand that led to some rear end chatter while backing.

As for Ford, I've never been a Ford guy and I don't know many people who have them....actually, don't have any close friends who own a power stroke. I do know they have had many issues over the years with different engine configurations and have gone through more changes in that department than the others. IMO, Ford does do a better job with innovation that the other 2. The power extending/folding mirrors are nice as well as a few other things they have come up with for comfort and safety. For example, their 911 service with the Ford Sync system is always available and dials direct to 911 vs. onstar which dials an onstar operator who then plays middleman. I don't believe the onstar emergency service works if you don't have a subscription.

So there you have it. As you can probably gather from what I have written I have fewer concerns with GM than the other 2, but that's why I drive one. I tried to be fair and point out the things I do like about the others as well, but keep in mind my knowledge on them is limited. I wish GM would keep up with Ford on innovation. I do wish the Dmax was known to run as many miles as the Cummins. For me and my money, I weighed those things against what was more important for me and where I felt comfortable. As I stated, others on here could easily build a similar list with brand X having more pros and GM having more cons. I'm not going to say one is any more right or wrong than the other, it just leads us down the path to where we spend our money. You can spend days on google reading about the good and bad of each. In the end we all have opinions and we all know what opinions are like. One other item you may want to look into is the warranty. All 3 have a very good warranty package for their diesel trucks. I know GM has a 100k mile warranty on anything that falls under the diesel engine system, that's why my Nox sensor was replaced under warranty at 48k. I'm pretty sure the other 2 have the same or similar warranty, but I'm not the expert on that so I'd say do your own research and make sure you have accurate information.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:32 AM   #15
Lic0rice

The first thing my wife and I did was to drive a 3500 from F, D & GM. Neither of us liked the ride of the Ford (I have owned 4 F150s), so it was taken off the list. I then spoke to the owner of a local transmission shop (he has an excellent reputation). He told us that the Allison is the best transmission on the road and he would have to do something else for a living if all he did was work on Allison.

I then spoke to a friend who is a retired diesel mechanic. He said the Cummins is the best diesel but the Duramax is a very close second. But, he pulls his horse trailers with a Chevy 3500 DRW.

So, we decided that either the GM/Chevy or the Dodge would be excellent choices. We drove both trucks again and liked them equally. It then came down to price. I tried to get a deal from 2 Dodge dealers but both of them were hard to work with. Next we went to a GM dealer and walked out the proud owner of a GM Sierra 3500.

Probably would have been just as happy with the Dodge but spent close to $2k less for the GM.
B&W Turnoverball + B&W Companion Hitch
1998 Key West 1720
Lic0rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #16
msp2jxr

The thing that sold me on the Ford is the power mirrors. Since I garage my truck being able to push a button and have my mirror fold in was important. At the time I was looking Dodge did not even offer that feature which may have changed. I still think Ford has the best mirrors for towing which was an important feature for me. With that said if you buy a lesser model I think you can be money ahead and buy power mirrors and install them yourself. I believe they after market power mirrors for most brands. JM2C Jay
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #17
mtofell

My progression in vehicles over the last 20 years: Subaru - Toyota - Ford - Nissan - Chevy - Ram

So I'm obviously not brand loyal. For the HD trucks I sure liked my 2006 Chevy Duramax. That was one great truck. I only sold because the miles were getting up there and didn't want to start replacing big time parts that start to creep up after 200K miles.

I think you really can't go wrong with any of the big 3. They all make great trucks. Ram seems to give you the most for your money but from reading message boards (totally unscientific study, I know) they seem to have more problems. I'm currently in one and it's a decent truck. The tranny did blow at 38K miles for absolutely no reason (I was sitting in traffic). I suppose that's just a fluke.

I'd stay away from any of the Ford diesels before the 6.7 for sure. I know there are plenty of folks out there that haven't had problems but I'd personally avoid rolling that pair of dice.

If I were looking at used I'd probably not rule anything out but just see what's out there and what you can get the best deal on.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #18
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Talking

Good job !! I am impressed !! thought this thread would be on fire by now. Indication of members getting older ?? Maybe too early? and we need to wait awhile longer
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #19
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

The answer is easy: Ford!

Government Motors: nope
Fiat: nope

See, problem solved!

I'm sure we're all adults here and can agree, no? He, he, he...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #20
msubobcats

I have told Patti that when I die I do not want to be taken to the cemetery in a Ford. Don't like them and have never had any luck with them holding together, mostly work related trucks.
Others love them.
I could drive a Dodge truck but at the time have a 2002 Silverado, look at sig, and love it. No, not a diesel.
As has been said before, drive them and see which you like best...
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford