Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
xrated

Got a Question about the Electric Lift Beds in the Garage area....

I've got an Impact 303 TT Toy Hauler and it's equipped with the electric lift Queen bed and electric lift fold up sofas in the garage area. Since it's just the two of us, my wife and I, I'm wanting to use the upper bed as a storage area for my spare motorcycle tires and wheels. I've got two complete sets of wheels for my track bike (Suzuki GSXR 750), one set equipped with rain tires and the other set with fresh rubber for track days. I'm guessing that both sets of tires/wheels with brake rotors on all of them, weigh somewhere in the 100 lb range. So my question is this. I plan on removing the "matress pad" that is currently on the bed and replacing it with either some 1/4" plywood or maybe even just some wooden slats and putting the tires/wheels up there for storage when they are not needed. So the bed lift, which doesn't normally have anything on it except the mattress, would now be trying to raise and lower with additional weight on it. Does this sound like it would be OK to do without causing any problems with the motor/etc for the lift? I'm running out of storage room back there and the upper bed would be an ideal place to store the tires/wheels until I need the change out a tire(s). What do y'all think?
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #2
MattHelm21

The Happijac online manual states:

Never operate the beds with anything other than bedding on the bed platforms.
Never travel with any items other than bedding on the beds.

Now, my Fuzion came with 2 tables stowed on the upper bunk and under the mattress. These tables must weigh in the neighborhood of 10 to 20 lbs each and are held in place by nylon straps when traveling.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Customers bring units in for service with all sorts of stuff on the garage beds. Can't say I've ever seen one fail, but I'm not trying to say it's all good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:27 PM   #4
trucker LOU

Hey X, I am not familiar with the lift/bed works,but on the race stacker trailer I work out of in season we "pin/peg" after raising the lift. Perhaps you could fabricate a positive stop to take the weight of the bed assembly off of the lift mechanism. ----Lou----
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

HappiJac does have travel pins for the top bunk. The top bunk is free floating, and when you lower the bottom part, it stops at a position determined by the placement of "stops" in the track. I think the question arises around the power of the motor to lift much weight.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:49 AM   #6
xrated

Thanks for the responses everyone. Honestly, I didn't know what brand of bed lift I have in there, so at least I know there is an online manual for it. Matt.....Mine only has the one table, but that thing must weigh 25 to 30 lbs.

Lou....yep, as Chuckster stated, it does have locking pins for traveling, and I would certainly use them, especially with the added weight....if I do decide to try it.

I'm still undecided on this issue.....more researching on my part is probably necessary. Thanks again for the responses.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:02 AM   #7
notanlines

X, I can't make a recommendation for you, but we have been using both beds for storage AND travelling with said storage for years without so much as a squeak out of any of it. We do pin it up because the motorcycle and side car sit beneath. Both the top and bottom platforms probably carry about 100 pounds or so of "stuff."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:39 AM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Not ideal by any stretch of the imagination but you can lift the top bunk by hand and pin it in. That way the weight is not borne by the motor going up. Coming down I wouldn't anticipate a problem. This method would take 2 peeps and the back side by the beaver tail would need a step stool. Just a thought.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:42 AM   #9
xrated

I just found the load capacity for the system. It states that the electric lift load capacity is 450 lbs dynamic (moving) and 600 lbs stationary.....and that is for the lifting mechanism only. Of course you would deduct the weight of the bed and the sofas from that dynamic number and the results would be xx lbs. I have no idea what the bed frame and both sofas weigh, but let's say they are 350 lbs total (I'm making up that number and don't know the actual weight), that would leave you with an additional 100 lbs before you reach the published load rating from Happi-jac.

I may have to remove one of the sofa sides and weigh it, then double that number because there are two of them, then try to estimate the weight of the bed frame. That would give me a pretty good idea of just what I've got to work with.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:45 AM   #10
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Not ideal by any stretch of the imagination but you can lift the top bunk by hand and pin it in. That way the weight is not borne by the motor going up. Coming down I wouldn't anticipate a problem. This method would take 2 peeps and the back side by the beaver tail would need a step stool. Just a thought.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!
Hey Chip, Peggy is 5' 2" short.....I'd have to buy her a set of stilts!

Old 01-24-2017, 03:49 AM   #11
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
X, I can't make a recommendation for you, but we have been using both beds for storage AND travelling with said storage for years without so much as a squeak out of any of it. We do pin it up because the motorcycle and side car sit beneath. Both the top and bottom platforms probably carry about 100 pounds or so of "stuff."
Just curious Jim, does yours have two beds...or...A bed and two sofas that fold together?

I would think the bed/sofa combination would be heavier than two bed frames....but that's just a guess on my part right now.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:04 AM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Hey Chip, Peggy is 5' 2" short.....I'd have to buy her a set of stilts!
Maybe those kind the dry wallers use? Could be handy for other tasks too!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:26 AM   #13
notanlines

Ours is the two bed system with the bottom being the U-shaped lounge/couch. The center piece lifts out to work as a table for the U-shaped couch. We leave all the couch back-cushions at home because a now infamous member of this forum has a favorite phrase: "An RV should be big enough for drinks for six, dinner for four, sleeps two."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:37 AM   #14
xrated

OK, I've got some updates for this thread. I emailed Lippert, the company that provides the folding sofas that are a part of the Hapijack lift system. As I stated in an earlier post ^^^^ the lifting system has a lifting capacity of 450 lbs moving. Lippert sofas like the two that are in our T.H. weigh in at approx. 120 lbs each. Combine that 240 lbs with the upper bed frame (I'm guessing maybe, maybe...50 lbs), it looks like the two sofas and the bed frame are going to come in at approx. 300 lbs. That should leave me approx. 150 lbs to spare and I'm sure that all four tires/wheels are not 150 lbs total....so I should be good to go as far as not exceeding the lifting capacity of the Hapijack system. I'm probably also going to take out the plywood base of the upper bed and just install some wooden slats to mount the tires/wheels to, which should lighted up the upper bed weight just a bit.

So, thank you to all that responded with info about the system and know you all know as much as I do about it!

Old 02-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #15
Samk

Are the sofas that face each other that convert to a bed for the hapijac system called jackknife sofas? http://www.lci1.com/jack-knife-sofas
Samk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:56 PM   #16
MattHelm21

Actually, what you linked to is not what is part of the system in our Fuzion with the Hapijac system. The difference, I don't have pictures at the moment, is that in sofa configuration, the base remains against the wall. When converting to the bed, the backs release, folding completely over the bases, and come to rest filling the space between them. You can motor the bed up in this configuration or pull pins which allow each half of the bed to pivot down against the wall. This frees up height for tall items at the expense of width.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:13 AM   #17
xrated

Here is a link to a place that has the "roll over" sofas.....

https://bendtrailers.com/lippert-60-rollover-sofa-bed/

If I'm not mistaken, they make them in a couple of different sizes.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:24 AM   #18
Samk

So the same sofas that are bolted to the wall on some campers are also the same ones used on happijac lifts just mounted with different brackets?

Asking cause I cannot find any sofas for happijac system. All I can find are same style sofas but all the retailers online just call them jackknife sofas or say they bolt to the wall.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:16 AM   #19
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samk View Post
So the same sofas that are bolted to the wall on some campers are also the same ones used on happijac lifts just mounted with different brackets?

Asking cause I cannot find any sofas for happijac system. All I can find are same style sofas but all the retailers online just call them jackknife sofas or say they bolt to the wall.
I can't answer that question.....I don't know. All I know is that Keystone calls them "roll over sofas". You can raise them up and they end up right below the upper bed frame, you can pull some pins and they fold up against the wall, or you can lower them and they are a sofa. If you need an additional bed, you fold or "roll over" the back of the sofa and it come down even with the seating part of the sofa. Do the same to the other sofa on the opposite side and now you have a "queen size bed" that is below the upper queen size bed.

I suspect that the sofas are the same ones....bolt it to the wall or mount it to the HapiJack system, but I cannot say with 100% certainty that is the case. I do know that Lippert makes the sofas that attach to the HapiJack system and the one pictured in the link that I posted looks like the two that are in my toy hauler.....the upholstering is different on mine, but that is a moot point for this conversation.

If you do a search for "Lippert Comonents", and click on the "shop for all Lippert components", you will find that HappiJac is a Lippert product, so it makes sense that they would supply the roll over couch for the HappiJac system.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:29 AM   #20
Samk

Thanks xrated.
My hauler has the happijac system but the lower sofa on mine is a rear and forward facing sofa. (Can't walk between them) Wanna change them out to the roll over style facing each other like you and many others have.

Tags
bed