Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #1
BOWWOW

crowded colorado

W e have been all over Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho and Montana this year and we have noticed so many more people and campers of all sorts. So many homeless camping everywhere around Denver and other places in the state. Some of our new population is due to the legalization of pot, some due to new jobs. We have " the great southern migration" every spring. We watch the news to see which town had a shooting today. It's ridiculous here anymore. More times than not we couldn't find a reservation, or we had to camp way off road. The campers are selling like crazy but there are no more campsites being built around here. Now Cottonwood pass is going to be paved, flatter and straighter. This will flood the west side even more.
Has anyone else noticed this in Colorado?

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
gearhead

Re: crowded colorado

Yep, noticed it around Pagosa Springs. Seems everything is for sale and Californians are buying it. From about 1978 watched it grow, grow, grow.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:50 PM   #3
Steve S

That doesn't sound like fun camping at all Why would there be shootings at campgrounds
Old 10-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

It's happening. Most from CA from what we've determined. We travel all over the state and I've visited with many of the CA residents as well of tons of CO residents, business owners. Unfortunately their idea of the CO I've visited and stayed in for over 50 years is a far cry from what it used to be (not a knock on all CA residents - just those that are "out there").

Pot. It is a big problem. Drugged out homeless folks are increasing exponentially. That's what you get with that kind of regulatory mentality. I now try to stay as far away from places where people congregate. If I have to be in a crowded place I'm always armed. I still love the state at this point but as the infestation continues I will probably have to find another favorite state.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
CaptnJohn

"Drugged out homeless folks are increasing exponentially." ~~ was that and an increase in crime not expected? The talk out east was CO was turning the entire state into the same as a bad section of a town.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:35 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
"Drugged out homeless folks are increasing exponentially." ~~ was that and an increase in crime not expected? The talk out east was CO was turning the entire state into the same as a bad section of a town.

Yes, they have effectively done that from what I see. You just have to try to find the "good sections" if you can. We love the mountains and cool weather, but we have a vacation home at 9000' in NM so CO isn't a must for us. We also love the FL panhandle (our daughter lives there) and we absolutely see nothing like you now see in CO; we just don't like the heat and humidity.....but we love the seafood!!
Old 10-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #7
bartbill

The Denver is now Los Angeles East-in every way. The I-25 corridor from Colorado Spring to Fort Collins is an impacted colon of stalled cars, stop and go traffic, wrecks and foul-smelling haze.

Just breaks my heart.
bartbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #8
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yes, they have effectively done that from what I see. You just have to try to find the "good sections" if you can. We love the mountains and cool weather, but we have a vacation home at 9000' in NM so CO isn't a must for us. We also love the FL panhandle (our daughter lives there) and we absolutely see nothing like you now see in CO; we just don't like the heat and humidity.....but we love the seafood!!

I left Ohio to get away from the cold. After 2 years in SE Asia I want 4 seasons, just subtle, not stupid changes. It gets "Yankee Cool" here and we may see an inch of snow once every 2 or 3 years for 3 or 4 hours.
At least one company moved to SC and a couple more planned on moving to the Carolinas from CO since the change in the law there, so was written in the paper a while back.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 10-19-2016, 06:29 AM   #9
Dave W

We drove through Manitou Springs about 6 weeks ago and was not impressed by the street people hanging around. Then there were the "recreational" pot stores in town. Years back I wanted to move to CO if my company had an opening. No longer. The West side isn't as bad and still has some good things happening but the traffic and sheer numbers of people in Durango was unexplainable.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:52 AM   #10
BOWWOW

WOW! So it's just not me seeing this. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there some form of legal pot in 1 or 2 other states like Washington? If so are there similar cases there? I realize that the recreational form of pot sales is the major problem. Yes crime is up, it's an all cash business, the federal government wont back the store owners at the banks. I really like the weather in Colorado but, 100,000 citizens are moving here every year, and a good amount for the wrong reasons. I'm on the west side but you can see it even in small towns all over the state. Once again we are looking at a place in Costa Rica. Future Expat, maybe.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #11
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWWOW View Post
Once again we are looking at a place in Costa Rica. Future Expat, maybe.
Make sure that Costa Rica hasn't been overrun by expats before you make that commitment. Years back it had way too many when I was going there on business. I was thinking New Zealand or Tasmania might be a good move plus the language is the Queen's own English, not Spanish as mine just ain't that good
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWWOW View Post
WOW! So it's just not me seeing this. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there some form of legal pot in 1 or 2 other states like Washington? If so are there similar cases there? I realize that the recreational form of pot sales is the major problem. Yes crime is up, it's an all cash business, the federal government wont back the store owners at the banks. I really like the weather in Colorado but, 100,000 citizens are moving here every year, and a good amount for the wrong reasons. I'm on the west side but you can see it even in small towns all over the state. Once again we are looking at a place in Costa Rica. Future Expat, maybe.
A friend of mine suggested Panama and in fact bought 2 homes there. My kids love Costa Rica. As I told them all; "I'm a W TX country boy. I like this country and there are lots of places left for me to see or move to so don't think I'm inclined to become an expat unless things really go belly up here". Of course, things ARE on a quick downhill slide at the moment.

The W side, or S, used to be the place to be in CO until the last few years. I used to love Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park, Estes Park, Ft Collins etc. but don't go there anymore (well, maybe for a quick drive through). I still love Pagosa but it seems it's changing daily and Durango has now almost become unbearable. Ahhh, for 1970 again! Sigh.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #13
Desert185

I used to go to Denver for business purposes. Its a traffic nightmare. Pagosa Springs and Durango are also too crowded for me. Montrose was my favorite, but I haven't been there since 2009-2010.

Took a trip to Kansas from Nevada a couple years ago. I carry concealed. No problem in NV, UT and KS, but had to put it away in CO like I do in CA and OR. Not a comfy feeling in states with incorrectly permissive, sanctuary, gun free environments. The problem isn't with the good guys, its with the bad guys.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #14
gearhead

I was trying to remember when we were last in Pagosa & Durango. It's been quite awhile, so I imagine it has changed exponentially (dang big word for me).
My sister just built a vacation home in Angel Fire NM and we're expecting to visit there next August. Likely go on to Pagosa or Vallecito after that. So we will get refreshed on how much it's grown. Is the Hub burger joint still there in Pagosa??
I was in Bellingham WA a couple years ago doing some inspection work for the doomed Arctic drilling program. Neat small town with a college, so seeing a few free spirits wasn't unusual. I saw a couple little shops that had "SEEDS" on the storefront. It took me a bit to realize they weren't referring to watermelon, mustard greens, and okra seeds.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 10-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I was trying to remember when we were last in Pagosa & Durango. It's been quite awhile, so I imagine it has changed exponentially (dang big word for me).
My sister just built a vacation home in Angel Fire NM and we're expecting to visit there next August. Likely go on to Pagosa or Vallecito after that. So we will get refreshed on how much it's grown. Is the Hub burger joint still there in Pagosa??
I was in Bellingham WA a couple years ago doing some inspection work for the doomed Arctic drilling program. Neat small town with a college, so seeing a few free spirits wasn't unusual. I saw a couple little shops that had "SEEDS" on the storefront. It took me a bit to realize they weren't referring to watermelon, mustard greens, and okra seeds.
Be sure and take anything you really like when going to Angel Fire. Amenities are few and far between there, but it is pretty. While there take the loop from Angel Fire, to Eagles Nest, Taos and back. It's pretty. When in Eagles Nest drive up the mountain toward Cimarron (hwy 64?). When you get to the top just turn around and come over the mountain like you're coming in from Cimarron. The view as you come out over the lake is very nice.

I'm not familiar with the Hub burger joint. Was it in town? On 160?
Old 10-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #16
Desert185

http://hub-dairy-creame.pagosa-sprin...b-dairy-creame
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
This is way out past Echo Lake. I don't go out there to eat (I do go to Echo Lake a lot to fish) so I've not seen it.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #18
BOWWOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Make sure that Costa Rica hasn't been overrun by expats before you make that commitment. Years back it had way too many when I was going there on business. I was thinking New Zealand or Tasmania might be a good move plus the language is the Queen's own English, not Spanish as mine just ain't that good
Yes, there are other areas to consider other than Costa Rica. Having said that, a little overrun by expats is OK by me, there will be a good % that speak English. I am hoping that I still find Costa Rica's NW coastal area to be like Colorado was in the 80's and 90's, But without the snow , we are definitely getting over shoveling snow. Back on subject, just this morning out to coffee I got a wiff of that new Diesel Lemon Kush in the air near by. LOL !
So depressing what is happening here. A contact high while at the Starbucks. Hmmm.

Decals removed.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #19
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This is way out past Echo Lake. I don't go out there to eat (I do go to Echo Lake a lot to fish) so I've not seen it.
I'm thinking that location is wrong or it's just not in business anymore. It was downtown on the main drag...160 I guess. Looking at Google maps maybe at that hard bend in 160 by the sheriff's office.
Vera's that was on Hwy 64 a bit south of Chama was a favorite. Then she moved into a new building in Chama and the food wasn't as good. Elkhorn café on Hwy 64 was pretty good too. It pops up on the map but may be a real estate office now; imagine that.
I'll get the Angel Fire tour next summer. Sister did say there is a route to not pull the trailer on. Thinking we'll stay at the new RV park in Angel Fire. Doubt I can get the Montana in their driveway, and no doubt she wouldn't want the neighbors to think she knew some trailer trash.
I'm da black sheep o 'da family!
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 10-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #20
CaptnJohn

Visited a cousin in Durango about 7/8 years ago. He wanted us to consider moving there ~~ too cold for me. He moved to Cajun country about a year ago.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW