Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
dcg9381

Slide adjustment advice? How are cable slides centered?

Accu-slide:

So I've just started reading up on how the cable-based slides work. Up on the roof today, I noticed that the living room slide was scarred on top, at an aluminum "trim" piece, for lack of a better word.

There are rollers on the bottom of the slide, but no rollers at the top. Checked the kitchen side, same thing, no rollers, so I assume that this is built correctly, at the vertical rollers at the bottom do the job.

I'm just to electric/hydraulic slides that move an a very robust rail/track. How do these cable slides stay adjusted (centered) in the wall cutout?

It looks like mine isn't correctly centered and is starting to eat itself...

Advice?

Here is what I noticed that's starting to chew itself up:

Here's looking at the top corner cable, closest to that spot. Looks like the cable is slowly sawing it's way through the guide hole too...

dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #2
Tbos

I'd like to know too. I have a similar slide in my 2810.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:43 PM   #3
Dave W

I just adjusted a slide on our 5er and posted this in the maintenance section http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24643. On the 3rd or 4th response I included the BAL video link of how these are built and adjusted. It doesn't address what you are seeing but that tape that show in your photo is lifting on two of the four slides on ours - those that are usually pointed directly at the sun. As far as alignment and height, those rollers are all I've seem vs the rack and pinion on our previous SOB 5er. I think what I would do with yours is measure diagonally corner to corner and see if the slide has gone trapezoidal. I also would have a concern about that heavy sleeper sofa causing a sag in a corner

The 'jury' is still out as to which I prefer though I have so far had fewer problems with the cable type
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:26 AM   #4
dcg9381

As near as I can tell there is no "position" adjustment for the slide in the cut-out. The slide is positioned by where those pulleys are attached. I suspect that the entire thing will have to be removed and pulleys reinstalled, but I'd like confirmation with more slide-tech experience than me. The slide sits more "forward" in the opening, there is a bigger gap a the back side of the slide.

The couch isn't a sleeper, doesn't appear to be very heavy. Slide seems otherwise well adjusted for cable tension (I've watched the video).
Old 03-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
dcg9381

So I've been looking at this more today. The seal is shreaded, so I'll need to get that replaced. Whatever is in this RV doesn't exactly match the accu-slide manuals, so I wonder if it's a keystone specific version.

Anyway, as near as I can tell, this may simply be a problem with the installation of the aluminum "jamb-cover" - at least that's what I think it's called.

It would do me some level of service if you guys check yours to see how "centered" the cables are where the come through that jamb-cover. This slide is the worst, but it's clearly dragging on other slides too. Aluminum is losing to the steel cable, but it's not good either way...

Assuming that's a cover and just drilled into the wall, I'm going to try moving it over...

Course, it's got to be camping season when you start running into stuff like this...

Old 03-15-2016, 07:05 AM   #6
PG2920BH

I'm seeing the same thing on our Passport! What are you thinking the fix is?
PG2920BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #7
PG2920BH

looking at the youtube video it appears to be a simple adjustment to the bracket to properly aline the cable. Is that how you see the video too?

I feel like my slide is also sagging. I'm wondering if this bracket adjustment will correct the perceived sag?
Old 03-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #8
dcg9381

I didn't see a jacket in video. I do see a jamb-cover mentioned, but it that doesn't appear to be what's on my RV. If it's a simple cable cover, just wood-screwed to the side of the RV, it should be a simple enough fix.

If your slide is sagging, there is a procedure that adjusts cable tension. Under-tension on a specific cable would account for a "sag" at the top, but also understand that these slides are not designed to be level, they're should have a slight slope away from the RV (to address water). So there should be some tilt away from the RV.

The bottom of the slide is supported by a minimum of two rollers.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #9
Dave W

Against most folks recommendations, I use slide supports under the long LR slide if for no other reason being that it has a heavy hide-a-bed, DR set and often my *ahem* 200 plus pounds. These are used only while at the seasonal site, not when traveling. The supports are adjusted to just touch and another 1/2 to one turn so as to not upset anything. I have made up dimensional lumber adder gadgets to the supports to spread the load. As far as excessive wear on a through hole - one shows that there has been some very minor touching though it looks like my adjustment corrected that as it is clear and centered now. JIC, I do carry a couple extra cables though they are left overs from the now gone previous 5er.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2920BH View Post
looking at the youtube video it appears to be a simple adjustment to the bracket to properly aline the cable............
I believe that adjusting the brackets can only resolve vertical misalignment.

The wear on my slide system suggests that the width of my slide is narrower than intended. I have considered adding spacers under the brackets to get the cables centered in the holes horizontally, but have yet to make that a project.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #11
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
I believe that adjusting the brackets can only resolve vertical misalignment.
That's right. You can adjust it if the cable isn't a straight shot vertically. Horizontal position is fixed.

I put a product inquiry into Accu-slide (Norcoind) - someone called me back. He basically told me to check to make sure the slide was "square" to the opening and suggested that it's either out of square the or opening may be cut incorrectly.

The piece of aluminum trim that the cable is grinding down is called a jamb-clamp. He says it's fairly fixed in position and that I can't just move it...

He said that some touching on the jamb-clamp is not a big deal, but if it touches when the slide is in, that's very bad, as the aluminum can cut the cable when you're in travel mode. Unsecured slides are bad.

He also said that he works with Keystone quite a bit.. :-)
Old 03-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #12
dcg9381

Checking in with Accu-slide tech, my slide is definitely "forward" in the cut-out, which is why it's dragging at the trim on top. I didn't get an answer as to how to correct it (yet). As there is no rail here, I'd assume you just pick it up and bump it back a bit.. (yea, right)

No idea how to actually do that or if there is a real adjustment that is needed.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #13
PG2920BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Checking in with Accu-slide tech, my slide is definitely "forward" in the cut-out, which is why it's dragging at the trim on top. I didn't get an answer as to how to correct it (yet). As there is no rail here, I'd assume you just pick it up and bump it back a bit.. (yea, right)

No idea how to actually do that or if there is a real adjustment that is needed.
Intersting. My jamb-clamp looks just like yours. When you say your slide is in the forward position do you mean closer to the front of the trailer vs the rear?

I'm going to work on my slide this weekend so I'm curious if Accu-Slide provides advice on a fix if the opening is cut correctly.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:47 AM   #14
dcg9381

I confirmed that it is a jamb-clamp, I just didn't see where it clamped prior. It's exactly the same as the units in the video. The jamb-clamp cannot be moved over, as it's attached to the frame.

Yes, I'm saying that the slide is closer to the front of the trailer than the rear. Clearance at the front is definitely less than at the rear. It's close enough so that the upper trim is rubbing through.

Question is - how do you "re-center" a slide in a circumstance like this? I assume that some movement of the slide within the opening is normal.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:08 PM   #15
dcg9381

Been at the dealer for 3 weeks. Called to follow up today. They're reporting "unable to fix" and are discussing the issue with Keystone.

Will report back when / if this can be repaired...
Old 04-24-2016, 04:23 PM   #16
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Been at the dealer for 3 weeks. Called to follow up today. They're reporting "unable to fix" and are discussing the issue with Keystone.

Will report back when / if this can be repaired...
Any updates on this issue. I have one cable that is off horizontally. I'd like to adjust it if I could. It seems like it could be moved a small amount it would solve the issue for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #17
Quiroule

I have the same problem, the seal is partly ripped. I spent 2 days at the dealer who said that it was beyond is capability to fixed it. He contacted Keystone, they refused to stand by their product has the warranty had expired a short time before.

It is obvious to everyone that the opening has been cut too narrow. They probably figured that the opening had shrunk after the warranty period.

Now I am stuck with the problem.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:42 PM   #18
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
I have the same problem, the seal is partly ripped. I spent 2 days at the dealer who said that it was beyond is capability to fixed it. He contacted Keystone, they refused to stand by their product has the warranty had expired a short time before.

It is obvious to everyone that the opening has been cut too narrow. They probably figured that the opening had shrunk after the warranty period.

Now I am stuck with the problem.

Which seal is ripped? Every seal is replaceable, some harder than others.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #19
mfifield01

Mine seems like an easy replacement. I have an appointment with the dealer on the 23rd (after my next trip).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #20
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Any updates on this issue. I have one cable that is off horizontally. I'd like to adjust it if I could. It seems like it could be moved a small amount it would solve the issue for me.
Tbos, I'm sorry, I don't have an update. It's been in the shop for more than 30 days (past my state's allowable "Lemon" law time). The dealer hasn't contacted me.

I've called twice:
1) Dealer said "we've been unable to fix it" - we're calling Keystone.
2) I followed up with Keystone a few days later (email) and did not get a response (included my VIN, etc). I called the dealer back instead and pointed them to accu-slide's tech support guy, who is great.
3) I called the dealer today, they said that it was going "back in the bay" and that they now think they can adjust the cables, which makes no sense.

I've read all the Accu-slide docs and talked to their tech support - there is no front to rear adjustment.

I will say, that if you park the RV off angle and manipulate the slides, you can get them to shift a bit front to rear. The cables themselves are "floating" so you can't pin them to force the slide forward or backward.

The bigger issue, after talking with Accu-slide, is that out of 6 cables on 3 sides, 4 of them are resting against the aluminum of the "jamb-clamp" - and they've already dug big cuts in the aluminum where they ride. Accu-slide says that this will cut the cables - eventually... Anyone buying a Keystone (or any other brand) with cable slides should watch these on a PDI.