Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2015, 11:00 PM   #1
Mike484

Hello from Houston Texas

We have a half ton GMC Sierra and was looking for as big of a trailer we could get without having to buy a new truck too. We looked at several makes and models but was always too small or the weight was very questionable if we could really tow it with our truck. We really liked the Cougar and Loredo, in fact found one hell of a great deal on a new 2015 Loredo that was still on a dealers lot. But, again, just too much weight and I'm not ready to buy a new truck yet.

Then we finally found a salesman that understood what we were wanting, as soon as I explained what is we were trying to find, he took us out to a Passport 2890RL. It fit our needs perfectly, plenty of room, and only 5500#s dry weight.

We will be taking delivery sometime next week (as part of our deal, it has to be off the lot before the 1st). We are excited about our new trailer and hope it is everything we are expecting.

I do plan to eventually upgrade the tow vehicle, it will make towing it around much easier, and will also give us the option to upgrade to a bigger trailer later if we decide we need the extra room.

Glad to see there is a forum that is specific for Keystone owners and hope to meet some of you some day at a camp site.
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 02:44 AM   #2
notanlines

Mike, welcome to you and your family to the site. We're excited for you! Hope you get a chance to get in a trip before the holidays end.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:17 AM   #3
Mike484

Looks like first trips will be a couple weekends in Galveston in Jan and Feb for weekend stays to get used to it. Big trip planned for spring to Northwest Arkansas, near Branson.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:11 AM   #4
Harleyhop

to the forum and congrats on the new rig! Happy Camping
Old 12-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #5
Javi

Howdy and welcome to the forum... We owned a 2890RL for a couple of years before trading up to the 5'er.. You'll enjoy it
Old 12-25-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Movin' on

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a very good choice with the Passport.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
gearhead

Welcome aboard from Liberty TX! There is a lot of good info on here.
I would suggest you print out the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) form from this forum and take it with you. You might want to give the dealer a heads-up that it won't be a 10 minute walk through.
Did you buy from Holiday World?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

to the forum from W TX! Congrats on the new rig. I bet you will have a blast. The area around Branson is a lot of fun.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #9
Mike484

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Did you buy from Holiday World?
Yep, Holiday World of League City, hope they pan out to be a good dealer, so far I'm not real impressed. Got better pricing from other dealers, but they are close so was hoping the couple thousand more would be worth it.

I'll have to look for the PDI, I did download the the recommended list of what will be needed, very helpful list, only things I saw missing was the stainless steel screen for the vents to keep bugs out and a cover for the sun roof/bathroom vent to stop the heat during hot weather.

We have a hangar at the Chambers County airport in Anahuac and sometimes fly to the the Liberty airport, your always welcome to stop by some Saturday. We fly gyroplanes from there, have a big fly-in every October that brings people in from all over the US.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Old 12-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #10
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
Yep, Holiday World of League City, hope they pan out to be a good dealer, so far I'm not real impressed. Got better pricing from other dealers, but they are close so was hoping the couple thousand more would be worth it.

I'll have to look for the PDI, I did download the the recommended list of what will be needed, very helpful list, only things I saw missing was the stainless steel screen for the vents to keep bugs out and a cover for the sun roof/bathroom vent to stop the heat during hot weather.

We have a hangar at the Chambers County airport in Anahuac and sometimes fly to the the Liberty airport, your always welcome to stop by some Saturday. We fly gyroplanes from there, have a big fly-in every October that brings people in from all over the US.
League City seems somewhat better at repairs than Katy, where we bought ours.
You can have many of the components/appliances repaired under warranty at any authorized repair shop instead of the dealer. The A/C and refrigerator probably have 2 year warranties. You can also buy more warranty time from Dometic, if that's who made them. Channelview RV Supply on I-10 East is a parts and service only shop, and I highly recommend them.
Look at the first post in the "Keystone Questions" for the "Sticky" for the PDI.
There is a lot of good info on this site. Welcome again....
Old 12-31-2015, 05:20 AM   #11
Mike484

Took possession yesterday, now gotta plan first trip, we're excited!

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 12-31-2015, 07:58 AM   #12
Desert185

Welcome, and have fun! Lot's of well-mannered expertise on this forum. I've learned a lot.

My son lives in Houston. Give my regards to Buc-ee's, Spec's and Gilhooley's. 👍🏻
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:53 AM   #13
Mike484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Welcome, and have fun! Lot's of well-mannered expertise on this forum. I've learned a lot.

My son lives in Houston. Give my regards to Buc-ee's, Spec's and Gilhooley's. ����
Is that the Gilhooley's on the bay in Bay Cliff?
Used to go there all the time, loved the Oysters Gilhooly's.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 12-31-2015, 11:32 PM   #14
Desert185

Quote:
Is that the Gilhooley's on the bay in Bay Cliff?
Used to go there all the time, loved the Oysters Gilhooly's.
9th St in Dickinson is their actual address. Those towns run together.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #15
Texascoastalfish

Congrats on your new TT. We started with a little Jayfeather Hybrid in 2011, Upgraded to a 2007 Sydney Bunkhouse and a 3/4 ton PU. Then Finally to a 2015 Cougar 5'ver purchases at HW in League City
It's the natural Evolution of the RV'er it seems, and we eventually conformed to the Philosophy of "Entertain 6, Feed 4, and Sleep 2" and now have all the room we want,
2 more words on RV supplies.. "Amazon Prime !" at your door in 2 days. Its like a mini Christmas several times a month !
Enjoy !

Texascoastalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #16
Mike484

Finally

Made our Maiden Voyage.

Been waiting for this for two months. We have our 2 year old granddaughter every other week, the other weeks were too cold or raining and the only nice weekend that we didnt have our granddaughter, Mardi Gras was in Galveston.

But, finally got our weekend out, the weather was beautiful and the campground (Galveston Island RV Resort) was a great place. The trailer pulled very well, we were pleased. Setup/takedown was a breeze, much easier than we expected. Everthing worked very well. We installed a 24" TV in the bedroom, changed out all of the interior bulbs to LED, and tried everything out.

Only issues:
Need to stabilize better, we didnt use anything but standard wheel chocks and the trailers stabilizer jacks. Will be purchasing either the X-Chocks or the OneStep to see if they make it any better.
The slot on the door for the dead bolt was off just enough that we couldnt use the dead bolt. I removed the plate so we could use it. Now have to do a minor adjustment so it will work properly.
The water pump, in our opinion, was very loud. We had full hookups so didnt need it, just ran it to make sure it worked, which it did but we dont like how loud it is. (and yes, the fresh water tank was 2/3rds full so its not because it was starving for water)
Bed is very hard and very uncomfortable to sleep on. We are looking at a matress topper to try out before we go the full route and replace the matress.
Two screws had come out from the bottom of one of the curtains, bought new screws, repaired.

Couldnt find any other issues, we are very happy with our trailer. Now we are anxiously awaiting our Florida trip the last week of March.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maiden Voyage.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	10100  

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 03-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #17
msubobcats

Quote:
Made our Maiden Voyage.

Been waiting for this for two months. We have our 2 year old granddaughter every other week, the other weeks were too cold or raining and the only nice weekend that we didnt have our granddaughter, Mardi Gras was in Galveston.

But, finally got our weekend out, the weather was beautiful and the campground (Galveston Island RV Resort) was a great place. The trailer pulled very well, we were pleased. Setup/takedown was a breeze, much easier than we expected. Everthing worked very well. We installed a 24" TV in the bedroom, changed out all of the interior bulbs to LED, and tried everything out.

Only issues:
Need to stabilize better, we didnt use anything but standard wheel chocks and the trailers stabilizer jacks. Will be purchasing either the X-Chocks or the OneStep to see if they make it any better.
The slot on the door for the dead bolt was off just enough that we couldnt use the dead bolt. I removed the plate so we could use it. Now have to do a minor adjustment so it will work properly.
The water pump, in our opinion, was very loud. We had full hookups so didnt need it, just ran it to make sure it worked, which it did but we dont like how loud it is. (and yes, the fresh water tank was 2/3rds full so its not because it was starving for water)
Bed is very hard and very uncomfortable to sleep on. We are looking at a matress topper to try out before we go the full route and replace the matress.
Two screws had come out from the bottom of one of the curtains, bought new screws, repaired.

Couldnt find any other issues, we are very happy with our trailer. Now we are anxiously awaiting our Florida trip the last week of March.
Congrats and welcome from Northern California...
We put a 4" memory foam on our mattress and it is MUCH better.
When the weather looks up and when we get our new rig back from having a couple of very minor issues repaired we will be off for our first shakedown trip...
8.1 / Allison / Long bed / Crew Cab
2016 Keystone Cougar 284RDB
GOOOOO MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY BOBCATS
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #18
gearhead

Mattress topper helps a lot. We did a 2" from Walmart; less than $100.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #19
PG2920BH

Congrats and welcome to the forum from Richmond. We bought our Passport 2920 from HW Katy and are convinced all dealers are the same... good on the sales side and not so good on the other stuff. Enjoy the TT.
PG2920BH is offline   Reply With Quote