Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
7lazy77

LED upgrade for outside scare lights

I would like to upgrade my outside "scare" lights & rear patio lights from the old 1156 incadescent bulb to an LED. I don't want to change out the whole fixture & was looking for just a bulb replacement. Anybody do this & how does it work for them? What is the best & brightest LED available?
7lazy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7lazy77 View Post
I would like to upgrade my outside "scare" lights & rear patio lights from the old 1156 incadescent bulb to an LED. I don't want to change out the whole fixture & was looking for just a bulb replacement. Anybody do this & how does it work for them? What is the best & brightest LED available?
There are dozens of those available on ebay and amazon for starters. A number of folks here have reported on their success at these conversions. If you want some of their experiences, just use the search function and the keyword 1156 led There is already tons of info here for the reading.

I reported in several threads about the relative brightness of the different LED chips in great detail, and others have as well. Those threads are good background. This same question has been asked many times previously so I'd encourage you to find those threads and read them carefully.

You have to look at each offering, determine the chip type and the number of chips. 5050's are about 15 lumens each. 1210's are 7 to 8 lumens and the 3528's are 5 lumens. The standard output of an 1156 bulb is about 400 lumens so you will have to do the math to figure it out for each ad you read.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread this month, the LED fixtures that are shaped like a bulb and put out light in all directions really need to come close to the lumen output of the incandescent that they are replacing to be useful and effective.

Then you have to decide whether you want bright white or warm white. Warm white is what we're all used to in incandescent bulbs in our homes. Bright white is really, really white.

Lastly, pull the bulb and read the base before you go hunting. It may be an 1141 instead of an 1156. The difference is in the placement of the locking pins. 1156 has them on two different levels, 1141 has them on the same level. It's very important, but often overlooked

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:12 PM   #3
Bushman512000

change the bulb?

no add some LED flat panel I did and have about 3-4 panels in mine and We watch out at night as Deer come to feed at the corn also the site is so nice to move about if light is needed the scare lights We use only in sites that bother no other campers they are very bright just the same...Bushman My LED add ons were from ebay cost was about .50
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote