Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2015, 10:15 PM   #1
michael_h

How do you carry your bikes?

I posted this on a FB page and caught hell from many that think it's either just unsafe or endangers their family, blocks airflow to the motor, blocks view of the license plate, headlights, impairs my vision, or if they come off they're coming thru my windshild. I've been carrying my bikes on a front loader for about 7 years when towing starting with my popup which wasn't designed to hold bikes on the bumper to our present Premier. I've seen bikes on the interstate presumed off backs of RVs & TT's and don't feel comfortable trusting mine on the thin wall bumper that's welded to the lightweight frame (I did carry them once on the back but a friend that was following said they did a lot of "dancing & jumping")

So anyway I'm just curious how you carry yours

Here's my view while driving

2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:19 PM   #2
Steve S

There was a very long thread about this a yr ago I think and there were some great ideas.
Try the search button and you'll find some interesting ways of how people carry their bikes
Old 07-07-2015, 05:25 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Been several threads on this so a search should give you a lot of info. To give you a quick answer, I carry 3 on a tray rack in the receiver welded to the frame at the rear of the camper and 2 on a tray rack mounted to the front receiver on the truck. I used to use a rack similar to the one you have, but the tray rack is much easier to load the bikes, holds them more securely, and keeps them down below the top of the hood so they do not obstruct my view.

I will say the ones on the back of the camper do get bounced around a lot. Over the years I have bent two racks, now I have a much stronger rack that has not bent over several trips and several thousand miles. I have sheered a pin on the folding mechanism as well. Now I secure all items on the rack with grade 8 bolts (I never folded the rack up anyway) and check them before each trip. I've actually had one bike jump out of the tray. I was shocked to find it hanging by the security cable when we stopped. I now zip tie the tires into the trays. The little things we learn.

As for the receiver welded to the frame on the back of the camper being strong/sturdy. I could tow a boat with it, but would be over length in every state except WY. I have carried a dirt bike on this rack for 1500 miles without a problem as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Maste...otorcycle+rack

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:51 AM   #4
GaryWT

I do not have bikes but if I did they would be in the back of the truck out of the weather etc. other choices would be in the trailer or where you have them. Would not put them o the bumper as you can't see what is going on with them. On the front you can at least see if an issue is coming.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:26 AM   #5
binfordtools

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_h View Post
I posted this on a FB page and caught hell from many that think it's either just unsafe or endangers their family, blocks airflow to the motor,
Sure, it will block a little of the airflow but in most cases not enough to do any harm. Engine cooling is not just a radiator. It's an engineered system which uses air, heat exchangers and coolant to work in unison to achieve a desired amount of heat reduction. Vehicles are tested at durability proving grounds in all sorts of situations, including radiators blocked by debris (usually mud). All sorts of things cause airflow disruption, thinking a few tube framed bikes will not do too much to affect cooling. Though, others will argue. If the bikes are secure, not sure how this would endanger your family. Worst that would happen is they will fall off and you would run them over. As long as you are not driving too fast, thinking you would just squish the bikes and maybe get a flat tire worse case.

I made a 4-place, PVC bike rack for the back of my truck and it works great for carrying the bikes with the camper. Of course, if you have a 5th wheel - you are hosed there.
binfordtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
LuvsPalmTrees

We carry ours in the bed of the truck. In our old TT we carried them on the bed (2) inside and on the table (2) (put down of course). They never moved.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
slow

In the bed of our truck with a custom made rack made from wood so I can roll them in from the tail gate since we have a cap on the bed.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
{tpc}

I have yet to do it, but my first attempt will probably be with one of those racks that clamps around the receiver on the back of the truck, that still allows for the hitch to be in. This is if it will fit correctly and we have space for the bikes.

So far the bikes haven't been a "need" more than a want, especially for the kids. We haven't really missed them yet. I thought about doing the front hookup like that, but didn't quite like how it looked and if I had to spend the money to get it all installed up there, I figured I would just have a receiver welded on the trailer so I could use my current rack back there.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #9
bsmith0404

A front mount receiver is about $150 from e-trailer and takes about 45 mins to install by yourself. I actually pulled mine off of my old truck and installed on the new truck in less than an hour.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #10
barchak

I carry my 4 bikes on the TT rear bumper. I did not like the 2" receiver style since there is only one contact point with the bumper. I went with the Swagman 4 bike RV bumper rack. Works great and the bikes are they are very solid on the rack.

For the install, I had to move the spare tire all the way left and add a third brake light higher on the right side with license plate holder since the new location of the spare tire covered the plate.

http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-4-Bike.../dp/B000SLL8OS[IMG]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/

15/07/07/5c3deeb6e2138fe4ee0e34db804c2c86.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:38 AM   #11
{tpc}

barchak, did you do anything to strengthen the bumper? How many times have you towed with this setup, and how you inspected the welds on the bumper for any issues?

I don't know what tt you have, but your bumper "looks" like mine. However I know that mine is just "bolted" to the rest of the tt, its not a solid one piece type of deal, and makes me nervous about adding that much weight back there...
Old 07-08-2015, 06:30 AM   #12
barchak

I did not do anything to strengthen the bumper. I have towed this set up on three different trips for about 300 miles. The bumper is welded onto the frame. I have visually inspected the welds and the bumper for deformation. I have not seen any problems.

I think what makes this work is it has four points of contact across the length of the bumper. This distributes the load and the torque across both mounting points and the bumper itself. It is very solid when installed and has zero play unlike the 2" receiver style.

I have noted two disadvantages to this style. First, the added length changes the departure angle of the trailer. I have only contacted the carrier once in a turn out of a dip and the was only a scrape on the metal, no danger to bumper or welds. I am more careful about entering dips.

Second, it is bolted on with four bolts at each contact point and this prevents easily removing the carrier. For this reason I leave it on all the time.

barchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:48 AM   #13
{tpc}

Thanks for the info. I think the key difference with your unit and mine is that the bumper on my isn't welded to the frame, but rather bolted on each side. Yours is likely a stronger bumper as well.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:09 PM   #14
KYFamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by barchak View Post
I carry my 4 bikes on the TT rear bumper. I did not like the 2" receiver style since there is only one contact point with the bumper. I went with the Swagman 4 bike RV bumper rack. Works great and the bikes are they are very solid on the rack.

For the install, I had to move the spare tire all the way left and add a third brake light higher on the right side with license plate holder since the new location of the spare tire covered the plate.

http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-4-Bike.../dp/B000SLL8OS[IMG]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/

15/07/07/5c3deeb6e2138fe4ee0e34db804c2c86.jpg[/IMG]

That's the exact setup I have. Used it about 4 years now.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #15
Tbos

Fork mount rack in the back of truck is how I carry my bikes.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:59 AM   #16
Sjsmith0918

We had our bumper reinforced and receiver put on at an auto repair company. $400 and well worth it.
Sjsmith0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:55 PM   #17
xjbeast96

ordered a $40.00 rack from ebay that allows the bikes to ride upright in bed of truck.
xjbeast96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #18
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Front receiver hitch for the TV. Plug a bike rack in there.

Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #19
Chevrolise

Put mine inside

16 Chevy 3500 diesel
16 Fuzion 325
CanAm Spyder, Yamaha Grizzly
Kymco mxu 500i, 2 grandsons
way too many Kayaks
Chevrolise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:03 AM   #20
lawdog130

I have been using a front mount on TV for years with no issues.

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
lawdog130 is offline   Reply With Quote