Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
GaryWT

Yield Sign

Does anyone know what they mean or do they no longer have meaning? Maybe it is different in some states or countries but in Massachusetts the yield sign on an on ramp to the highway means the person pulling on the highway must let those on the highway continue at the rate of speed they are traveling. If you are not ahead of them enough so they do not have to brake then he who is entering the highway must slow down or stop.

Well as most know, towing a trailer is a magnet for everyone to get in front of you and once again, on the way home, no one knows how to yield. They stay next to you and expect the one on the highway to stop and then they start blowing their horn as they are driving in the breakdown lane. Can't the just do what they are suppose to do getting on the highway, this is easy stuff. Of course at the next on ramp I am usually behind the person who will come close to a complete stop to let someone on. You just can't win...
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

GaryWT,

I never have encountered a "rude driver" like that. Everyone merging onto the highway in front of me always either accelerates to merge or slows and merges behind me. I can't imagine ever seeing anyone who would "risk safety" on the highway.

Oh, it might help, if you can learn to "wiggle your nose" like Samantha on "Bewitched"

(Posted in humor)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
bobbecky

I always try to avoid merging vehicles, if possible. I will never stop in the slow lane, it's just an accident waiting to happen with other vehicles crashing behind you. I was told by a professional truck driver, who fulltimes in a large diesel pusher, that in our case, size matters. If you show the slightest lack of nerve by slowing down, these rude, oncoming drivers will walk all over you. Do not be afraid to use your horn, and just ignore the various sign language exhibited by these drivers.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
Dhuhn

I feel your pain, that is one of my pet peves it just drives me insane the way people drive. people cant read signs these days or they think it doesnt apply to them.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
HappyCamperMN

Gary, you are correct, the description you cite is what I understand how a Yield sign is to be treated when entering a freeway here in MN as well. Although maybe the Yield rules are optional in states that begin with the letter 'M'.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:45 PM   #6
rhagfo

Well your understanding is correct, the vehicle entering the roadway needs to yield to traffic on the road.

That said I start down a merge lane with my foot hard on the throttle and one eye on the idiot in front of me and the other in my left hand mirror looking for that bit of daylight I can line up to. Your best chance of a smooth merge is to be either at speed or as close to it as possible.
On the other hand, if I am on the road and I see a larger rig coming on a ramp, i will either move over, or open up a space.

I have seen the behavior before of someone on a ramp, thinking the traffic on the roadway needs to slow down to let them in. I have also seen those that run on the shoulder for a distance to get past a couple extra cars.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:38 AM   #7
notanlines

And always remember that the sign says "Yield," not "Surrender." For Pete's sake, get up to speed in the acceleration lane. Drivers don't want to let you on the interstate running 40 miles an hour.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:55 AM   #8
{tpc}

I think the yield sign in michigan means "green light" or something to that effect.

I'm not sure how it was where you were Gary, but I have seen some yield signs that are essentially right at the highway, almost like coming to a cross street where the highway is the cross street, and no "lane" for entering.

In that case I'm unclear as to what to do, especially when towing a trailer. Even without, I can't get up to 60 mph from a dead stop. Yet some places where I see these signs, it is like that is what they expect you to do. If there is any sort of traffic, and everyone is doing 70 already, the only thing you can do is come to a stop, but you will be stopped forever.

Michigan is a fun state to drive in (or tow in for that matter). Turn signals signal to all drivers in the immediate area to speed up. Yield signs...those are there for looks. Stop signs? Optional at best. And if there is a yellow traffic signal....floor it!
Old 05-18-2015, 04:47 AM   #9
theasphaltrv'er

All road signs nowadays for drivers are merely a suggestion for a certain action. For example ...that red Octagon with the word STOP on it merely suggests one should either think about stopping or at least slow down enough to make it appear as if you stopped before you turn right. As far as a YIELD sign is concerned...most drivers don't have a clue what it means. Today most new drivers are taught by a parent instead of a driving instructor so they are not taught all that is required, just enough to get by. ...JMO

PS...15 yrs ... SBDI & CDL Examiner
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:55 AM   #10
jsmith948

Here in sunny, dusty California and many other western states, the sign at the freeway on ramps is a "merge" sign. Highway patrol officer told me it was to avoid having vehicles stop at the top of the on ramp and becoming "stuck" there, backing up traffic.
Not all, but most of the time there is an acceleration lane long enough for the vehicle entering the freeway to be at freeway speed when it merges into the flow of traffic.
Whenever I see a car merging, I simply back off the throttle, watch to make sure it isn't a "nervous Nellie" (or Neil) and that they are going to accelerate out of the way. I try to avoid changing lanes. Seems every time you move over to allow traffic to enter a car or three will pass you on the right or, worse, pull into your blind spot on the right and just ride there. In southern Cal, they call these 'dive bombers'. Looking to cause an accident in order to bring an injury lawsuit.
Having driven commercial for many years I have learned that you can depend on people to do crazy and dangerous things while driving. Our rigs a big, they block peoples' view of what's ahead and no one wants to be behind us. It is up to us to look out for them and a little courtesy helps to smooth the way.
Just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:00 AM   #11
bsmith0404

While transporting RVs I have run into issues in almost every state I've driven through. My biggest pet peeve is the cars coming down the on ramp not getting up to speed. I can't tell you how many times I've put a bit of distance between and the vehicle ahead to give them room to merge, only to have them hit the brakes. I've even seen one driver stay on the shoulder and almost lose control when there was more than enough space to merge. I try to be courteous and let drivers in, but it drives me insane when they don't accelerate so they can merge then get mad at you for not slowing down or moving over to let them in.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:34 AM   #12
GaryWT

So it seems that highway on ramps are fun for everyone.

My situation has happened before. Travelling in the first lane going about 62 on a 65 mph highway. Traffic in all 3 lanes and someone pulling on. They had plenty of time to speed up to get in front of me or wait in pull in behind me but because I did not stop, they get mad, oh well I say. Did not notice this time but more times than not, it is someone on their phone.

Looks like everyone has a story or two about this same thing or pulling onto the highway. Always have to love the ones that get on the highway at 30 mph and take a 1/2 mile to get up to speed.

If I see a long line of cars pulling onto the highway and there is room to, I will pull into the middle lane but that is not always an option.

Anyway, gives us something to talk about. Even later in the day, running to the store, we ran into some drivers doing strange things, when is the full moon?
Old 05-18-2015, 02:12 PM   #13
Ken / Claudia

Gary, you understand the law right and it is and means the same in Oregon. Those who will not merge correctly do cause some wrecks. The worst thing if there is a worst thing about them. The freeway wrecks usually involve several cars back that cannot stop. The nut who caused panic on the freeway by stopping/ cutting in etc. then gets on the freeway and drives away leaving a big crash behind. If folks would just look at the freeway traffic and speed up or slow down alittle at the gore point and merge things would be great. And stopping, no never unless the lane is stopped that you need to merge into.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:25 PM   #14
mazboy123

from the michigan note: YIELD MEANS YIELD, NOT GO. but then again michigan drivers think 70mph means 85mph when driving to lansing from detroit.

anyway, this is an ongoing issue that I have.....people don't speed up and they want you to move other....go figure.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #15
Ken / Claudia

This was not talked about. The best freeways lanes to travel thru metros are one lane left of the lane that has the merging ramp traffic. Say on a 3 lane one way freeway, that's the middle lane. That's where nearly all comm. truck traffic is traveling for the very reason of this post. If you can, travel in that lane and avoid sudden stops at on ramps or other crazy on ramp stuff.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #16
GaryWT

I agree that the middle lane is good or that the 2nd lane if 4 are available but at times I feel that it is rude for me to sit in the middle lane going 62 mph and the traffic lines up behind me because someone going 65 takes a mile or so to pass me and then everyone gets crazy that they cannot go by at 75. Because of this there are times that the first lane is traveled in. There is a road I do travel on that has a left exit and I do tend to get in lane 3 or 4 a couple miles before the turn if I can move over just to make it easier as most cars stay to the right and will be cutting over from the higher speed lanes. Always fun and interesting. With the holiday weekend, we are getting an early jump to hopefully avoid some traffic.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #17
SAABDOCTOR

KEN THIS TRUE STORY IS FOR YOU! On I84 in Connecticut A fuel truck driver with 8700 gallons on board was in the right lane (this section of higway only had 2 lanes. A car pulled out behind him passed pulled in front of the truck to get off the exit. But he missjudged the ramp and hit the brakes. The truck hit h=the car no one hurt. The driver of the truck was not issued a ticket! Why? the tropper asked the driver of the car how he thought this was the truckers fault (after hearing the trucker story) he said.. ( get ready ) he said to the trooper. he (the trucker) should have been able to stop because he has more brakes than I do! Ya all tavel safe this weekend there will be lots ofand drivin.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:25 PM   #18
Ken / Claudia

That was a good one. I have never had that told to me or coworkers but, I understand why someone would say it. Think about how many people have never driven anything bigger than a small car and they DO think everyone can stop and turn just like them.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:13 PM   #19
Pmedic4

On ramp pet peeve

The one issue that gets me is the people who come to a complete stop at end of the on ramp! This is even without a Yield sign. When you're following this idiot, you are looking to the side and rear for highway speed traffic, and this jerk - I swear this should be a ticket to the driver who stops, causing an accident. Been close, but never hit anyone.

Sadly, the other thing I have had happen, is getting the single finger salute when pulling on from a ramp - just cause I wasn't going 70 mph when towing.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:47 AM   #20
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
KEN THIS TRUE STORY IS FOR YOU! On I84 in Connecticut A fuel truck driver with 8700 gallons on board was in the right lane (this section of higway only had 2 lanes. A car pulled out behind him passed pulled in front of the truck to get off the exit. But he missjudged the ramp and hit the brakes. The truck hit h=the car no one hurt. The driver of the truck was not issued a ticket! Why? the tropper asked the driver of the car how he thought this was the truckers fault (after hearing the trucker story) he said.. ( get ready ) he said to the trooper. he (the trucker) should have been able to stop because he has more brakes than I do! Ya all tavel safe this weekend there will be lots ofand drivin.
This is one of the reasons that i installed a dash cam in our TV!!!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote