Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
tree1668

Tire blowout coverage

is this kind of warranty worth it? Also is the nitrogen they put in the tires also worth it?
"The Dude: Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
The Stranger: The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals."
tree1668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree1668 View Post
is this kind of warranty worth it? Also is the nitrogen they put in the tires also worth it?
Depends on what the warranty really covers and excludes.

I fill my tires with a custom blend of 78% nitrogen... air.

I don't see the "pure" nitrogen fill as being worth anything. Unless they start with the tire in a vacuum it is going to be diluted by the air that is already in there, I can see it in some extreme applications like aircraft tires or race car tires. Other than that it is a waste of money IMHO.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Nitrogen in the tires is worthless IMO. I've had it on two vehicles. Doesn't do a thing for tire temp and what about airing up and down all the time as you do towing? I haven't found a nitrogen compressor, plus, as Wahoonc points out, the majority of "air" is nitrogen. The Toyota dealership initially told me it would cost me $40 per tire for them to re-air the tires on my SUV. I looked at him like he was crazy and told him "I don't think so".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
bobbecky

Just about as worthless as adding helium to the tires to make them weigh less. Save your money. Your money is better spent on quality tires and diligent care.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
C130

When I had my Michelin XPS Ribs installed on my toy hauler they installed the stainless steel valve stems. Tires hold pressure incredibly well and I hardly ever have to put any air in the tires. The only fluctuation seems to be temperature related, not losing air. I got the toy hauler out of storage about a month ago after it had been sitting for 2-3 months and still had the same pressure. I had thought about putting nitrogen in the tires but have found no need to and the extra few dollars for the good valve stems is well worth the money. I did by the extra warranty from Discount Tire.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #6
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
When I had my Michelin XPS Ribs installed on my toy hauler they installed the stainless steel valve stems. Tires hold pressure incredibly well and I hardly ever have to put any air in the tires. The only fluctuation seems to be temperature related, not losing air. I got the toy hauler out of storage about a month ago after it had been sitting for 2-3 months and still had the same pressure. I had thought about putting nitrogen in the tires but have found no need to and the extra few dollars for the good valve stems is well worth the money. I did by the extra warranty from Discount Tire.
I agree. Purchase 7 Michelin xp ribs with metal valve stems with 6 year warrenty from american tire. Best tire ever. Towing is a lot better. On my truck. I used to gun the engine from a stop using the tomax tire brand . Not a issue anymore. I know a lot of people will say LT not for your rv but what a difference over the ST.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
tree1668

Thanks everyone! I will not waste money on the nitrogen for sure. I will be calling my tire guy 1st thing tomorrow
"The Dude: Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
The Stranger: The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals."
tree1668 is offline   Reply With Quote