Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #21
Dave-Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Dave-Gray:

As you have pointed out in these links to 5th Wheel St, a site which you founded and maintain, the figures are for a bare bones, base model truck. I'm not sure how many of us have one of these basic, no frills models, but I would venture to guess that most of us have a number of upgrades and other accessories which would make these numbers unusable.

Secondly, all of the figures, except for the F450 pertain to 2 wheel drive vehicles. Again, I think the majority of us drive 4x4's which would again nullify the towing capacity numbers that are found in these links or for anyone contemplating a 4x4.
I guess you did not comprehend the message implied in the first four notes at the top of the webpages. In a nut shell, it tells readers that any vehicle purchased that is different than the base model shown, including the note about 4X4 models, will have less towing capacity due to the added weight of additional components and trim options. The implied message in the first four notes are meant to alert the buyer that the vehicle they buy off the lot will most likely have less towing capacity and therefore it would behoove them to be diligent in their research. The charts are a basic starting point, and from there, the towing capacity goes down. Therefore, if a basic truck shown does not have the capacity to tow the load without exceeding the ratings, then one needs a bigger truck. Therefore, when these charts are viewed with the mindset described, the numbers are very usable.

Quote:
Thirdly, I don't think that using your own flow charts and formulas to determine if X truck is right for the job is as "easy as eating apple pie". You are recommending to our members that they use the "simplified worksheets" and flow charts developed by you and posted on your own website - 5th Wheel St. I'm sure that you are using the numbers from the various manufacturers in your calculations and that you are trying to make it as easy as possible for folks to accurately and safely determine their TV's towing capacity. I just don't think it's as simple as plucking numbers from your tables, plugging them into your worksheets and coming up with "the right answer". There are just too many variables - most of which have been outlined by JRTJH in his posts above.
I’m not sure where you are trying to go with this. My first impression is you're mixing apples and oranges in the same bowl of soup and expecting chicken noodle flavor. I would appreciate it if you could break down the commingled paragraph into specific bullet points so that I may provide responses without assuming your thoughts.

Quote:
However, I do think your 5th Wheel St site does provide people with a tool and guide to use along with some other essential information to help them make an informed decision when choosing a tow vehicle.
I do appreciate that you recognize Fifth Wheel St. is an informative website. And thank you for touting it on my behalf. I’m forbidden to do so on many forums and so I treat as if it’s the plague. I never want to call attention to myself because it’s never about me. What I provide is for the benefit of all RVers. And all are welcome to provide any kind of comment they so choose via the website’s contact form or by private message on this forum.

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, K&N cold air intake system, B&W Gooseneck with 5th Wheel Companion, Firestone Air Bags
SOB: 09 Toy Hauler with Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box.
Dave-Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:26 AM   #22
fla-gypsy

For every RV Ive owned I was able to review the numbers of it and my truck and make an informed decision. Those that struggle with it tend to be those who will not take the time to educate themselves on the different aspects of towing including real world weights and manufacturers ratings. It is not rocket science nor simple 2+2 math, but somewhere in between.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #23
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Gray View Post
I guess you did not comprehend the message implied in the first four notes at the top of the webpages. In a nut shell, it tells readers that any vehicle purchased that is different than the base model shown, including the note about 4X4 models, will have less towing capacity due to the added weight of additional components and trim options. The implied message in the first four notes are meant to alert the buyer that the vehicle they buy off the lot will most likely have less towing capacity and therefore it would behoove them to be diligent in their research. The charts are a basic starting point, and from there, the towing capacity goes down. Therefore, if a basic truck shown does not have the capacity to tow the load without exceeding the ratings, then one needs a bigger truck. Therefore, when these charts are viewed with the mindset described, the numbers are very usable.

Dave-

I agree completely and did say that you had pointed these limitations out at the beginning so yes, I do comprehend your message. My point was that those figures can be used in some circumstances but not others. Perhaps I was not clear enough.

I’m not sure where you are trying to go with this. My first impression is you're mixing apples and oranges in the same bowl of soup and expecting chicken noodle flavor. I would appreciate it if you could break down the commingled paragraph into specific bullet points so that I may provide responses without assuming your thoughts.

I'm not "trying to go anywhere". Below you stated that "all are welcome to provide any kind of comment they so choose" and that is what I have done. I don't have any agenda and was simply passing on my opinion about the simplified worksheets and flow charts.

I do appreciate that you recognize Fifth Wheel St. is an informative website. And thank you for touting it on my behalf. I’m forbidden to do so on many forums and so I treat as if it’s the plague. I never want to call attention to myself because it’s never about me. What I provide is for the benefit of all RVers. And all are welcome to provide any kind of comment they so choose via the website’s contact form or by private message on this forum.
I appreciate the time and effort you have taken to develop your website and to provide RVers with a tool they can use to help make their towing decisions more informed and less complicated.