Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
Robertcdf

New bumper with hitch

Had my fabricator out today to replace the bumper with a heavy duty one and add a hitch for towing our atv trailer. I had some 4" tube with 1/4" wall in my garage so we used that. Came out great (painted it after the picture)
Old 08-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
summerhummer

Nice..... I wish I had my own fabricator who could help me do the same modification...
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:02 AM   #3
TomHaycraft

Local hitch and custom pickup specialty shop did mine. I went the route of adding a receiver hitch, leaving original bumper intact. I did this after moving spare from rear bumper to under the trailer. If the link works ... here are a series of pictures.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1042270...eat=directlink
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:45 AM   #4
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHaycraft View Post
Local hitch and custom pickup specialty shop did mine. I went the route of adding a receiver hitch, leaving original bumper intact. I did this after moving spare from rear bumper to under the trailer. If the link works ... here are a series of pictures.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1042270...eat=directlink
Tom, what did that set you back? I like the idea, and am considering a similar setup so I can put a bike rack back there....just wondering.
{tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:54 AM   #5
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Tom, what did that set you back? I like the idea, and am considering a similar setup so I can put a bike rack back there....just wondering.
{tpc}, the carrier and installation for the spare tire was $305 at the RV dealer I use for maintenance, included move of the LP gas line. The install of the receiver hitch was $292 at the hitch/custom truck place. A lot of maintenance I will do myself, was happy to "outsource" these two items and have been very happy with the results. In my mind, money well spent!
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
{tpc}

Thanks for the info! Next time I have the unit home I'll take a look at where my lp line is, maybe it can just be shortened a bit. I'm ok with having the spare still on the bumper, but it definitely would need more support to hold the bike rack back there.

Actually I'm sure it would hold the bike rack as is, but for how long and what other damage it might cause as a result, its not worth it.
{tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:57 AM   #7
Robertcdf

I paid 300 for mine but we also recessed the hitch tube 1/2 way into the new bumper. And we built a thing to hold training wheels on a small dirt bike for my daughter.