Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
pjhansman

Another new tire post....

Over 12,000 miles (3 years) on my Towmax tires and I'm buying a new set.

My first choice was Maxxis.....turns out you can't get them anywhere in eastern Canada. Next I looked at Marathons....which according to an email from Goodyear are made in China. So next I try Carlisle. First email from them..."Carlisle tires are made in the US and elsewhere". Turns out the Radial Trail RH tires are from China. I can't find trailer tires made in North America!!

So....without wanting to re-start the always entertaining ST vs LT debate, I'm looking at some Michelin Ribs. My Laredo has 6000# axles, so the 16" E rated Ribs are OK at just over 3000# load rating. The trailer dry weight is 10k pounds, and 12,500# loaded up, with around 10,000 on the axles.....so weight wise I'm OK. I have 5.5" between tires, so the extra 1/2 in radius on each tire isn't an issue.

My question is this....besides the fact that the price is double that of trailer tires, is there a valid reason for using 3500# rated trailer tires rather than 3000# rated "real" tires?
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:07 AM   #2
CWtheMan

First off let me say that there are zero 16” LT tires with a LRE capable of providing the necessary load capacity to replace the 16” ST tire with a LRE.

You should read the warranty information in the reference below. Especially in the “what is not covered” section. Michelin considers the replacement of ST tires with any of their LT tires a misapplication. Your trailer’s owners manual - mentioned in the reference - is not going to recommend LT tires.

http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/...omise_Plan.pdf

The most satisfactory procedure to follow for replacement tires is to ask your trailer’s manufacturer for options or follow the instructions in your trailer’s owner’s manual and always refer to the trailer’s tire placard. Talk to a knowledgeable retailer about “plus sizing” your OE tires with replacements.

CW

On edit: There are 16" ST tires rated at 3640# and 3960#.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:59 AM   #3
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
First off let me say that there are zero 16” LT tires with a LRE capable of providing the necessary load capacity to replace the 16” ST tire with a LRE.

You should read the warranty information in the reference below. Especially in the “what is not covered” section. Michelin considers the replacement of ST tires with any of their LT tires a misapplication. Your trailer’s owners manual - mentioned in the reference - is not going to recommend LT tires.

http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/...omise_Plan.pdf

The most satisfactory procedure to follow for replacement tires is to ask your trailer’s manufacturer for options or follow the instructions in your trailer’s owner’s manual and always refer to the trailer’s tire placard. Talk to a knowledgeable retailer about “plus sizing” your OE tires with replacements.

CW

On edit: There are 16" ST tires rated at 3640# and 3960#.
Yup, I completely agree that the 16" ST LRE tires have a higher capacity then the 16" LT LRE tires.

But the real question is why do I need more than 7000# of tire capacity on 6000# axles that are nowhere close to being fully loaded? Basically the tires on my 5ver have the same load as the Michelins on my TV.

And from a safety perspective, is a LT tire like the Michelin Rib actually better then the ST tires at the 55-65 mph that I drive at? Besides the load rating, is there some technical/design reason for using the ST tires?

And if somebody could point me to some DECENT non-Asian built ST tires (available in Canada) I would be more than happy to buy them.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Old 03-25-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Some Canadian tire stores either stock or will order Maxxis ST tires for you. A friend of mine placed an order for a set just recently. I'll get the name of the retailer and edit this post when I find out. While not made in China, they are off shore tires which have, if you have read the reviews and ratings from others, a very good reputation and come highly recommended.

Edit:

Tires were purchased at Big O Tires in Fraser Valley BC. They weren't in stock but dealer ordered them and they arrived in 2-3 days. Price for set of 4 was very comparable to same tires at Discount Tire in WA.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:47 AM   #5
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Tires were purchased at Big O Tires in Fraser Valley BC. They weren't in stock but dealer ordered them and they arrived in 2-3 days. Price for set of 4 was very comparable to same tires at Discount Tire in WA.
Thanks Festus.....unfortunately Big O Tires do not exist east of the Rockies, but I will check with Canadian Tire.

My first trip isn't planned until late May, so my search for knowledge (and a decent set of tires) will continue.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:14 AM   #6
C130

I'm running Michelin XPS Ribs on my Fuzion toy hauler. I'm still convinced they are a way better and safer tire than most of the junk that might technically have a higher load rating. The manager at the local tire shop convinced me to buy them and he was very opinionated on the XPS Ribs.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
lawdes

I find it interesting to read all the angst about tires made in China. It used to be that things were made in Japan due to the cheaper labor, but the factories are American owned or managed. The Japanese stopped working for the cheaper wages, and factories have moved to China. Some of those are the most modern, efficient factories in the world. The thing I don't see mentioned is that while most tires may come from the same factory with a different name slapped on them, they are probably made to different specs. Just like shoes, almost all of which are made in one huge factory in China, each brand has its own specs to which the product is made. Most manufacturing is done over seas now, or in Mexico, but done to specific specs. So, I think the very fact that a tire, or shoe, or shirt, or iPhone is made in China does not mean it is inferior. Frankly, those folks are probablh more interested in doing quality work to actually have a good job than some of the union employees who think they are entitled to their job here. Just my 2 cents worth
lawdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #8
BobnLee

Hey PJHansman I see you are also from Ontario. I had the same problem looking for tires in Ontario I wanted Maxxis tires and when I was complaining to the Automotive shop right around the corner they had them here the next day. The place is called Action Car and Truck Accessories Willowdale Court Lindsay They have a web site . I looked for damn near a year looking for them from Ontario. I even called their head office in Brampton and they couldnt help me.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdes View Post
I find it interesting to read all the angst about tires made in China. It used to be that things were made in Japan due to the cheaper labor, but the factories are American owned or managed. The Japanese stopped working for the cheaper wages, and factories have moved to China. Some of those are the most modern, efficient factories in the world. The thing I don't see mentioned is that while most tires may come from the same factory with a different name slapped on them, they are probably made to different specs. Just like shoes, almost all of which are made in one huge factory in China, each brand has its own specs to which the product is made. Most manufacturing is done over seas now, or in Mexico, but done to specific specs. So, I think the very fact that a tire, or shoe, or shirt, or iPhone is made in China does not mean it is inferior. Frankly, those folks are probablh more interested in doing quality work to actually have a good job than some of the union employees who think they are entitled to their job here. Just my 2 cents worth
Yeap, China is a model for how citizens should be treated. Heaven forbid a human being be paid a livable wage or even more importantly be free to do as they choose.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #10
lawdes

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
Yeap, China is a model for how citizens should be treated. Heaven forbid a human being be paid a livable wage or even more importantly be free to do as they choose.
Oh yes, I didn't intend to condone the lack of freedom, etc, although wages are relative. What we can barely live on here would make a worker wealthy in most parts of the world. My point was that the tires made in China, or Mexico, or Columbus, Ohio are all made to specific specs depending on the price point and target market. Some are better than others, often by design, depending on who they are selling to for how much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
lawdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #11
CWtheMan

Removed by CW.

CW
Old 06-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #12
bobbecky

Looking at the XPS RIB's, they don't have any less traction than the GY G614's. Just my opinion, but traction doesn't seem to be too important when putting tires on these trailers. Yes, if installed on a TV, that is a serious consideration. I would think, other than traction, being a summer rated tire would be an advantage, being able to handle heat better than an all season tire.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:14 AM   #13
pjhansman

I'm the OP on this thread and thought I would provide an update....

I finally decided to go with the 16" Carlisle Trail RH LRE tires.

Put them on a few weeks back and immediately put 3,600 miles on them driving from Ontario to Alberta and back.

Very successful trip. Trailer pulled good (well?), even with those pesky prairie winds. No unusual wear problems, in fact no noticeable wear at all.

So far I'm quite happy.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:03 AM   #14
Jim & DJ

Been the Duro and Marathon route with damages.
It is now and forever Michelin XPS
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:57 AM   #15
pjhansman

If I could've found a 16" LT tire that had a load rating even close to 3400# I would own them.

Quite frankly, I'm in the group that wants tires with the same load rating as the tires that came with the trailer.

Each to their own.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:51 AM   #16
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & DJ View Post
Been the Duro and Marathon route with damages.
It is now and forever Michelin XPS
JUST SAYING!

If you're going to tout something such as the Michelin XPS Rib tires you should at the very minimum stay within the guidelines of federal regulations.

If you're using the XPS tires on the Montana 3465SA model, they do not meet minimum load capacity requirements for that trailer's GAWRs. The Keystone specs for that trailer has it equipped with 7000# axles derated to 6750# for the fitment of the OE tires. None of the Michelin XPS Rib tires have enough load capacity to meet the minimum federal requirements for those axle ratings.

If I have incorrectly identified your trailer brand/model I apologize for this post and will immediately retract it when notified of the error. I got the brand/model from your Keystone forum profile.

CW
Old 06-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #17
C130

I'm running the XPS Ribs and love them so far. They've been on the Fuzion 322 for about a year.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #18
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
I'm running the XPS Ribs and love them so far. They've been on the Fuzion 322 for about a year.
Tire fitment per axle is explained in paragraph S5.1.2 in the reference. Of course that's the minimum requirement. Industry standards require equal or greater size and load capacity for OE replacements. You can verify that information in your Keystone owner's manual, chapter 4, page 18, tire size.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...sec571-120.pdf

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/8945...-19_-_1545.pdf

CW
Old 06-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #19
C130

I know and understand the tire regulations but I'll still run my XPS Ribs. Anyone had a blowout with the XPS Ribs? No tire is perfect but I've yet to hear one bad thing about them on any forum, I'll take real world experience vs. some useless federal regulation. I'm not against federally regulated stuff, just don't have too much faith in the trailer tire regulations. Airplane tires are a different story. Just look at the Texas roadways and see how many retreads are on the road. Unbelievable and they are federally compliant. The junk tires from the factory are "federally compliant" but their record of blowouts doesn't speak well. I could certainly be wrong but I read lots of forums from lots of people hauling heavy stuff and chose the XPS Ribs for a reason. Now, if I have a blowout I'll certainly post that I was wrong and the way my luck is going that could certainly happen.

As I've stated before there's been lots of tire police on here and other forums pulling trailers with 'federally compliant tires" but they are thousands of pounds overloaded with their F250's or equivalent trucks pulling 40 foot trailers. After camping last week I saw lots of trailers being pulled by trucks and SUV's and the tires were the least of their worries. Unbeleivable what some trailers were being pulled with.

Now, I know people here are asking for tire advice just as I did. I'll fully admit I may have bought the wrong tires for my trailer so my advice is worthless but I like the XPS Ribs so far.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:24 PM   #20
CPE

The max speed rating of 65 mph is not to be exceeded; it was just on news this evening study shows significant large truck and trailer blow outs are caused by over speed damage. The blowouts do not appear the instant speed is exceeded just weakening the tire. Damage and wrecks caused by these tire debris failures cause many problems for others. I see MANY 5th wheel vehicles passing me and I adhere to the 65 max regardless of posted speed limits on the highway.
A most important thing as reported previously here.
CPE is offline   Reply With Quote