Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Post Insulation Package Comparisons

I have read through many of the threads referencing the insulation value of the various trailers. I noticed in these discussions various terms were used for various makes of trailers such as Polar, Arctic, ....... Glasier, ...... to define its thermal package. If I recall after reading through all of the treads only found one post that talked about R values of different parts of the structure. Did not see any posts referencing the term used for the RAPTOR's "EXTREME Temperature Package" I know after reading these posts it seems like the general opinion of what ever you call it; is a lot of BS

On the Raptor Package, the roof is R-38, the floor is R-31 , and the sidewalls R-9, single pane windows,

For comparison of these various named thermal packages, does anyone know what the actual R vales are for these other packages?
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

PARAPTOR,

The sidewall, roof and floor insulation is not a part of the "artic package", "polar package", "glacier package" or whatever package may be "added" to each brand. The general insulation value for Keystone RV's is either R7 or R9 sidewalls, anywhere from R7 to R40+ roof and R7 to R38+ floors. Single pane windows are standard. More models are offering dual pane windows as an option. You can research the R value of each brand of Keystone RV online at KeystoneRV.com. Go to the brand you're interested in, scroll down to the "FEATURES" section and you'll find the R value listed either in Construction or in one of the other similar paragraphs. Remember that the "bubble-wrap with foil backing" is being claimed as adding R15 to some RV's in the Keystone line. The actual R value of Reflectix is R3.7 by itself and depending on the installation technique, can range up to R21 depending on the dead air space and heat reflective capacity. There's not a lot of dead air space in a slide floor, so only the ability to reflect heat can improve the bubble-wrap in that installation. Unfortunately, with only 2" walls, when plumbing is run through cabinets, just under the floor, along the sidewalls or through the basement area, if it's installed too close to the wall or an area where the insulation wasn't properly installed or where it's gotten damp, the R value will be significantly decreased and frozen plumbing will probably occur.

The package, whatever marketing name it's given, is essentially an enclosed underbelly, sometimes added insulation below the tanks, sometimes not, heated holding tank valves, occasionally some 12 VDC heating pads on the tanks. Unfortunately, there's simply not much more than R9 or so that you can do with a 2" space. So increasing the ability to turn most 3 season RV's into 4 season RV's is difficult if not impossible. Unfortunately, marketing, not engineering is in charge of the sales "hype" that gets put in the brochures.

R values "above the floorline" are more for "people comfort" while "polar packs" by whatever name are essentially "below the floorline" and are more for utilities protection. Don't count on a lot of capability much below freezing.

Do a search for member "GEO" and look at his threads about how he improved his Alpine's winter capability. He is known as the "lord of the underbelly" for good cause......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thanks John for taking the time to add so much detail in answering my question

Did read GEO's detailed writeup for the under area. Shows can be done, question is based on your camping needs is it worth that level of effort

Again THANKS

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You know what they say about "opinions"... Everybody has one and most of them stink.....

IMHO, no, for the way we use our RV, doing much more than making sure the holes are sealed and the furnace vent runs aren't kinked would be overkill. We do head south while it's still "BRRRRRRR" but we don't dewinterize until we get to warmer weather and we stop at a motel along the way to sleep with the rig safely parked and filled with antifreeze. Once we get south of Memphis, we dewinterize and then leave the tanks empty unless we know it's going to stay above about 30.

For us, trying to push the usability down to below 0F temps would just be a waste of money and time since we just don't use our RV in those kinds of conditions. But, that being said, if someone needed to use it to live in during the winter, or had to travel the northern tier states during the winter, I suppose it would be the only way to stay functional. So, depending on what you want to do, yes, it might be something to consider.

And, if you checked the Raptor webpage, they don't list any "package" by name. It's just called an "insulated and covered underbelly" and they say it protects the tanks and plumbing in colder weather. That's probably the "safest" and "most legitimate" explanation of a "package" that I've seen LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Unlike another member if I recall correctly his "POLAR TEMPERATURE PACKAGE" label fell off this harsh winter. Well for whatever its worth my "EXTREME TEMPERATURE PACKAGE" label on the side of the Raptor lasted through the harsh winter. Wait a minute just heard on news another possible snow storm coming through on Wednesday. Oh Well!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)

Tags
extreme, insulation, raptor