Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
theeyres

There is no one answer to your question. We've camped in various rigs for 50 years (yes, my wife and I just celebrated our 50th anniversary and we honeymooned in a tent!). We've been up and down and up and down in sizes and types. We loved the biggest as we were full-timing at that time. But now that we are off the road, we are back down to a 24' trailer and absolutely love it. We wouldn't live in it, but for our current 3 day to a month trips it is perfect. So, no, I wouldn't recommend going bigger. Get what you think is right and enjoy it. The smaller that you can enjoy does mean you will be outside more--and that's what it is all about.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #22
Randy_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcow View Post
Those are the exact reasons we got a larger trailer, just for the 2 of us. The lay out of the Outback 300rb is ideal as described above and also has the outside kitchen. We still spend most of our time outside but are much more comfortable when inside.

And hello to all, I believe this may be my first post.

Oldcow

Welcome to the forum.

Your first post , you have photo's and a cold drink in you hand,, I like your style

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #23
PT RV`er

We started out with a 26ft`r single slide TT and owned it for 10 years. It was a great starter RV but it was getting to the point where things needed replaced at an expense. So we upgraded to a 32ft`r double slide TT and couldn`t be happier. I don`t think we`ll go any bigger just for the reason many have expressed already, it shortens your site selections.

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #24
Western Traveler

As pointed out several times here it depends on wants and use. We have had from a 22' prowler to a 32' Ideal in the past. We did a 5 state camping trip in a tent from dry camps to National Park (Yellowstone) last summer.
We just purchased a 21RBS and it will feel like a palace. We almost went with the 19RBS. The thing is we love sitting by the fire with our hot drinks in the mornings and night, Dutch oven cooking and traveling down two tracks to a dry camp we have found or heard about. Adding a front hitch to the truck for pushing the trailer out of dead ends with no turn around if we go too far. Just the two of us and glad we will now have a dry warm place to sit around out of bad weather, no longer sleeping on the ground and something other than a bush or vault toilet and sun shower.
While on that trip we camped next to a beautiful lake in a small park at 10,000 feet in Utah. We were next campsite over from a very nice rig. We saw the couple camped in it 3 times in 2 days but did hear their generator a lot so we know they were there.
When I reach my senior years we might slow down and stick to the parks and a larger rig might make sense then but I am only 66 now (wink).
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #25
outwest

Last rig had three slides on it, and was super roomy! But, like already mentioned it didn't work for some spaces. Current rig is long, but only has one shallow slide and it's roomy enough for two to be comfortable and not feel cramped. One thing I've learned, the bigger the trailer, the more "stuff" you tend to drag along, which isn't always a good thing.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #26
Josiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by placergoldman View Post
Josiah,
Have you tried Lake Skinner? Go on line and check the camp sites in camp ground 3.I have a Cougar 27rl tt and most of the sites in that camp ground 3 are for over size rigs..

Tim
Hey I checked it out.. No swimming is allowed and only boating activities that do not involve skin contact with the water. Wtf? Thanks for the recommendation but it seems like trailer camping in southern California is a flop. Will probably have to go to Arizona
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #27
jje1960

Size

This is our third unit... Can't get any bigger in the driveway... So nope, don't wish for larger!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the beast sm.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	4640  
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #28
robo

This also is our 3rd. Popup hybrid to the passport inside 18 months
Expensive experience but we love where we are at with this one
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	4642  
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #29
x96mnn

I own a sprinter 266 and enjoy it. As most posters have stated it depends on your plans. I haul mine a fair bit, not long distance trips but enough miles and I like the size. I am always looking at campers but have not found anything I would trade the 266 for that would not require a larger truck.

It's got enough room on a rainy day and the outdoor kitchen makes you want to be outside. That's my 2 cents.

LOL, this is my 266th post...hmmmm
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #30
slider

Ours is on the small side, although the big slide makes the living room seem larger. Even better since I took out my dinette, and will be even better yet when I take out my jack knife sofa.

I usually don't regret not even looking at the larger models. Sometimes I wish our bathroom was bigger, and sometimes wish the kids had a separate area but part of the thing I like about camping is it "forces" is to spend time in close proximity.

All that said, every time I go in a big fifth wheel with a nice rear living quarters layout and huge picture window I do ooh and ahh, but still have no regrets with ours.

Things may change but I don't harbor any desire to upgrade.

If we were actually living in it, that would be a much different story, but usually we take one 5 night trip and several 1-3 night trips per year. At that, we usually go somewhere that has a nice bath house so my wife can go there and spread out her getting ready stuff (not sure they make a camper in any size big enough for all of that).
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #31
jje1960

Very Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo View Post
This also is our 3rd. Popup hybrid to the passport inside 18 months
Expensive experience but we love where we are at with this one
Love your unit, very nice!

I must say, we do love the high ceiling we ended up with in the 5Ver, makes a big difference with feeling open. Also, next season will be first since I remodeled (removed) the wall between the cabin and garage bay, looking forward to that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0007sm.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	4652  
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #32
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Hey I checked it out.. No swimming is allowed and only boating activities that do not involve skin contact with the water. Wtf? Thanks for the recommendation but it seems like trailer camping in southern California is a flop. Will probably have to go to Arizona
Dry camping different places in the desert with quads. Or few places at the ocean. Some are state beaches right on the sand. Going to Laughlin for harley run. Staying at riverside RV park. But your right. You won't see me on narrow roads in the mountain rv parks.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #33
audio1der

We read so many "trade up" stories while we did our research that wenow feel we overbought. It sucks because having had a nice outdoor kitchen (and it's only the half kitchen!) I could never go without now.
We looked at trading down last spring, but would lose 50% after 2 years!?
I guess it's here to stay.
Upside- it seems to rain for a night almost every trip and there is more than enough room under both awnings, and inside, for everyone to do whatever we want without falling over one another.
#doyourhomeworkFIRST
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:30 PM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

We traded down. Had a 35' Jayco that weighed a whole lot more than the tag in the kitchen cabinet said. It had 2 slides on the road side and all available options. Current rig is 30' and easily 3,000 lbs lighter. Just me and the wife, 3 cats and 1 small dog. I am a much happier camper.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:56 AM   #35
michael_h

It might be small, but for now our fit anywhere 19 foot box fits us pretty good for changing, eating & sleeping . . . all other activities are done outside though it has been a little tight in the rain (in a pinch we have served 6 at the small u shaped dinette, and slept 5). For us this is not a 3 day weekend trailer, but one we have spent weeks in traveling, plus it's almost paid for, so for us presently, we are quite satisfied with our mini home away from home

[IMG][/IMG]
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #36
GMcKenzie

At 34', we went pretty big for just 2 people and 2 small dogs. But the layout is not good for kids (we don't have any) and we spent about 3 months going to all sorts of dealers before deciding. We are very happy with our unit and don't see trading up any time soon, if at all. Only thing I've thought about is going to a 5th wheel but I'd hate to lose the storage space in the back of the truck. I like having a canopy and being able to lock up my fishing gear.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #37
denverpilot

We think we will trade down in a few years, but we're happy with the big fiver right now.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:14 PM   #38
koko

We're happy with our tiny - just two adults and a 55 lb. dog. We can camp just about anywhere and have plenty of room. We've been in larger that seem a lot smaller - floor plan is so important.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

I think it has been repeatedly pointed out that this is a pretty subjective topic. We've spent our lives tent camping, pop up camping, trailer camping (25' no slide) and now a 2014 Cougar High Country 319RLS. At almost 37' OAL it is a pretty big bumper pull.

We looked at dozens and dozens of RVs with OUR criteria in mind; first and foremost floorplan plus quality. Size was deterimined by our planned use; we are retired and intended to spend up to 2 months at a time in the trailer in areas that could have extended inclement weather. We wanted to be able to walk around the bed. We wanted to sit in the living area and not feel like we were cramped. With 3 slides it really helps. In the 25 ftr. it was great if I was alone. When we added my wife and daughter (she is grown and gone now) it was like a cracker box and only one person could move at a time. We did not want that feeling again. Living in TX it gets pretty hot; we liked the 15k AC and the upgraded furnace (we added a 2nd AC).

Anyway, think about what you will be doing....think ahead. Many, many folks want to upgrade after making the first trip or two. Hopefully forward thinking will help eliminate that costly problem. Good luck on your choice.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #40
Tbos

Dad's Theory

When we bought our 2014 Passport 238ML I enjoyed telling my 83 yr old Dad about it. He was a full timer for many many years. He worked up to a 36' class A from a 33' class A, 2 class Cs and a pop-up. While talking he said most RV owners buy 3 before getting what they really want. My wife and I had a pop-up for one season before a poor driver took it out. I guess that means we are now 2/3 way there to what we really want. In the mean time we are having a great time.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote