Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
MicheleF

Exclamation Water Mayday

I just filled the fresh water tank for our first time. I stood inside, kept testing the water level, it never moved - and then it started to overflow at the outside.

So, I came inside and turned on the pump, and tried to run the water. Nothing came out.

I connected the hose to the "city water" connection, and we have water.
Haven't tried hot water yet, that will be next.

Another forum asked me if I turned on the "fill tank" valve before I filled the tank, but I have no idea if we have one, or where it is.

So - how do I get the water from the fresh water tank to be the water that comes out of the tap?

Is there actually a "fill tank" valve or was someone messing with my head?

I need to sanitize the tank today, because as of tomorrow, the house where the RV is parked will be rented, and they probably won't want us using their bathroom and kitchen as we've been doing while it was empty....

Thank you so much
Michele
MicheleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
therink

If you have a water fill opening on the outside that you stick a hose into (not threaded) then you likely don't have a tank fill valve. You should be able to fill the water tank until water comes out through a small hole next to the water fill opening (this is the tank vent). Look under the trailer and you will likely see 3 plastic tubes (1/2" diameter) protruding down that have caps or valves on them. These would be the hot and cold low point drains (2) and there will be a third that is the fresh water tank drain. Turn on water pump and make sure no water is flowing out of these. If the water pump is still not pumping water to the faucets, it is possible that your water pump is equipped with a winterize bypass valve. If you see this valve on or near your water pump, turn the valve 90 degrees and see if the pump is working.
The last thing could be that the pump needs to be primed. Turn off all faucets and then turn on the pump. Let pump run continuously for a minute or two then cracking open the furthest cold faucet to let air run out of the system. If your water heater is empty, the pump may also be trying to fill that as well. The water heater holds 6 gals so this can take a while.
Good luck.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I think Steve is correct when suspecting a winterization valve on the pump. If you gave some information as to the make, model and year of your trailer it would help. Folks with that same model could most likely help you best. Be sure to fill the water heater before trying to turn it on!!!!!
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
f6bits

When you say that the level never moved, what was the level indicated?

Seeing how no water seems to be flowing, I'd guess that the fresh water tank is empty and that the fill line is kinked. The tank should be near the fill hole. If it's like mine, the tank is part of the bed frame, semi-easily accessible. It's also adjacent to my water pump. See if you can open up the paneling and get a look at the fresh water system (pump & tank) for problems with the hoses.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
MicheleF

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I think Steve is correct when suspecting a winterization valve on the pump. If you gave some information as to the make, model and year of your trailer it would help. Folks with that same model could most likely help you best. Be sure to fill the water heater before trying to turn it on!!!!!
It's a 2010 Fifth Wheel Alpine. Still not working. We did get in touch with the original owner, who said that in 3 years, he had never filled the FW tank, and always just did full hook-ups.

We did get it hooked up to the city water, and the HW is working great, but still can't use the fresh water tank.

And the indicators are still wrong - which I know understand is probably not related to the fresh-water problem...

MicheleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
Javi

My opinion, or best guess

If you never heard any gurgling as you were "filling" the freshwater tank then most likely little or no water actually entered the tank.

Find the pump and get to where you can lay eyes and hands on it. Check to see if there is a cut-off valve in line on either or both the suction and discharge side of the pump. If you find such a valve make sure it/they are open.

Next, find the fill tube for the FW tank and again; make it so that you can actually lay both eyes and hands on it. Check for kinks or crimps, have someone attempt to fill the tank slowly (cut water hose back to a trickle) you/they should hear a gurgling as it fills (this is air being displaced and venting out the little hole with a screen by the fill hole).

If no gurgling; first try to wiggle the vent tube and see it is just blocked by a bubble. If that doesn't help.

Take the fill tube and vent tube loose from the outside fitting (should be two or three screws to remove fitting from side of trailer) then blow into each tube, either/both should allow you to blow with some force and yet feel as if air is moving through them.

If no air can flow... remove the fill and vent hoses from the tank and replace.