Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2013, 04:43 AM   #1
AdkWoody

Arrow New here looking for bulb #s

Hello everyone! Last weekend I took delivery of a new 2013 320BHS. This is a huge upgrade from a tent but with a special needs child, we felt this was the best thing to do. Ok. My question. What are the interior bulb numbers or where can I find them? I want to replace all of them with LED's since we will be dry camping 95% of the time. I would even like to do the outside yellow and scare lights. I'm sure I will have tons more questions as I go. We haven't even used it yet. Probably won't until July 12th for our vacation . Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. I do plan on adding 12 volt receptacles throughout. Still not sure why factory wouldn't have done that!! for the help in advance!

Woody.
AdkWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

to the forum and to Keystone RV's. There are a number of posts about conversion to LED's and one "sticky" that has a lot of information. You can find it as the first thread in the Modifications and Upgrades... Just about 2 or 3 threads above yours in the section. For several years, members "thought" that buying "American made" LED's gave a more reliable product and paid a premium price for the goods. Now, the current thinking is that most LED's are manufactured in China and either sold as such or repackaged in the USA (with appropriate upcharges)

Many (almost all) of us are now buying LED's from EBay or a similar source. I'd suggest you buy a couple, see how they work and if you like the color and brightness. If you do, then order more. Don't delay too much between testing and completing the project, you may find them unavailable as the technology changes so rapidly.

As for the type of bulb, most of the incandescent bulbs in your RV are 921 and there are a few that are 1156. Some of the accent lights (in upscale units) are T10 based. You should remove your light lenses, verify the bulb type and then count the number needed. Many EBay sellers offer "ten packs) of bulbs with free shipping. But, as I said, order a couple and make sure you're OK with how they look. Some people prefer the warmer type that are similar to incandescent bulbs while others like the brighter, bluish type. Since that is a personal preference, each to his own.

As for why manufacturers don't include 12 VDC outlets throughout the unit, typically it's cost related. Every dollar spent on additional features is a dollar less profit. To be competetive and maximize profit, most manufacturers (not just Keystone) offer a few conveniences installed in areas they know the customer wants, but keep the quantity down to a minimum as customer's don't always want the same type of features and it costs to install each one. It's sort of like "where to install the toilet paper holder" You know, to each his own ideas

Again, welcome to the forum and good luck with your new RV and the planned mods.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
AdkWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
to the forum and to Keystone RV's. There are a number of posts about conversion to LED's and one "sticky" that has a lot of information. You can find it as the first thread in the Modifications and Upgrades... Just about 2 or 3 threads above yours in the section. For several years, members "thought" that buying "American made" LED's gave a more reliable product and paid a premium price for the goods. Now, the current thinking is that most LED's are manufactured in China and either sold as such or repackaged in the USA (with appropriate upcharges)

Many (almost all) of us are now buying LED's from EBay or a similar source. I'd suggest you buy a couple, see how they work and if you like the color and brightness. If you do, then order more. Don't delay too much between testing and completing the project, you may find them unavailable as the technology changes so rapidly.

As for the type of bulb, most of the incandescent bulbs in your RV are 921 and there are a few that are 1156. Some of the accent lights (in upscale units) are T10 based. You should remove your light lenses, verify the bulb type and then count the number needed. Many EBay sellers offer "ten packs) of bulbs with free shipping. But, as I said, order a couple and make sure you're OK with how they look. Some people prefer the warmer type that are similar to incandescent bulbs while others like the brighter, bluish type. Since that is a personal preference, each to his own.

As for why manufacturers don't include 12 VDC outlets throughout the unit, typically it's cost related. Every dollar spent on additional features is a dollar less profit. To be competetive and maximize profit, most manufacturers (not just Keystone) offer a few conveniences installed in areas they know the customer wants, but keep the quantity down to a minimum as customer's don't always want the same type of features and it costs to install each one. It's sort of like "where to install the toilet paper holder" You know, to each his own ideas

Again, welcome to the forum and good luck with your new RV and the planned mods.

Thanks for the info! 921, 1156, T10. I have one fancy fixture over the dinette and some small single disc (maybe accent) lights over the couch. Once I get pictures onto my computer I'll post some up. The outside lights are different right? You wouldn't happen to know if there was a place in my camper the bulb numbers are listed do you? I looked through the entire owners manual and came up empty. It seemed to be a very generic-can-go-in-any-camper type of owners manual. No real instructions on how to do anything. Maybe I shouldn't have been thinking it would be like my trucks owners manual? I don't know.

I prefer the soft glow incandescent gives off. The bright white is good for the scare lights on the outside but in my opinion is way to stark, sterile, and just plain harsh of a color to use in every light. The soft warm glow is more inviting and relaxing in my opinion. I may look at different lumens though. Brighter for the main lights but same or a little less bright for the other lights. I might try a couple that way and see what I like.

I know not much of anything is made in the USA anymore. I have no problem getting them from superbrightled website, or ebay, or amazon. The only thing I'm really looking for is quality. I know I shouldn't be saying that, but there's not much of a choice.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
sjturbo

You will be very happy with your choice. We, (DW & I), moved from tent to tent trailer to hardside when visited by bears one time to many times! I think ebay is a great place to get good deals, but advice from the pro's here is worth it's weight!
There can be a huge difference in output (lumens) even with the same number of LED's in the array. That's where the experience from others would be very helpful. I for one could also use some information on the various vendors on the bay and suggestions.
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
Kristi

We also went from tent to tt this year and love it! Happy camping!

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

AS JRTJH pointed out in his post above, there are several sites where our members have purchased LED's and have recommended them to others on the forum. These sites are listed in the LED sticky and are included under the heading "Where Can I Get Them From?".

Since both the colour and brightness of bulbs are, to a large extent, personal preferences I would follow the advice of JRTJH - buy a few, try them out and then order the type that you prefer.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
AdkWoody

Thanks for the warm welcome! Ya. We had a bear last year in the campground. My family and I spent the rest of the night in the car because she was too scared after hearing it snort and growl as it walked past in the woods behind us. That was part of the push. The LED sticky was a great read but wasn't specific to all the bulb numbers. Again, new at this so I didn't know they use the same bulbs in every camper. I will order two of each to test.

One more question though....... It need to be the 360 degree right? Or will a 30 degree do as far as light dispersion angle?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdkWoody View Post

One more question though....... It need to be the 360 degree right? Or will a 30 degree do as far as light dispersion angle?

Not necessarily - it depends on the type of fixture and function of the lamp. Many overhead lights that use the 921 bulb can be replaced by the flat, "pancake" shape. This type has the diodes on one side only so all of the light is focused downward.

In some bedside, dropped or table lamp type fixtures, then a 360 deg bulb would probably be the one of choice. These cylindrical-shaped bulbs typically have diodes all the way round and some have diodes on the bottom as well.