Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #21
MicheleF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoint3 View Post
Maybe we were naive thinking we could camp in our travel trailer in Texas summer heat. Our 2012 272bhs with a single 15,000 BTU a/c just isn't cooling in this 100 degree temp. It keeps the interior (with the single slide out) at around 88 degrees during the day (air temp exiting the a/c is 68 degrees). It got it down to 82 with the slide in. Now, I'll agree that 88 feels a heck of a lot better than 102, but I'd rather have that trailer down into the 70's. It appears to be the trailer itself since the a/c unit is working exceptionally well. We temp gunned the walls and the walls range anywhere from 80-90 degrees on the interior depending on if it was in the shade and if it was a wall on the slide itself. We had hoped that our trailer would truly be 4 seasons, but guess here in TX it's only going to be 2.5 seasons. Thinking about trying to flip this and get a trailer with a dual a/c. I'm looking for thoughts from other campers who travel in this stupidly hot weather and have either single or dual a/c units. Thanks.
We just returned from our first camping trip in our new-to-us 2010 Alpine (40 ft). We were in Kentucky and Nashville and thought we were going to die from heat. Then we figured out that we had to keep the Fantastic Fan OFF when the A/C was ON and things became much pleasanter. Who knew?
MicheleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #22
Festus2
Site Team

MicheleF -

Depending upon which mode you had your Fantastic Fan set on, you could have been either drawing hot, outside air into your RV or exhausting the cooler, interior air outside. In either case, your Fantastic Fan was working in opposition to your A/C.

Now you know.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #23
mcbarbee

It's hot in Texas!

We have a 2013 Passport Grand Touring BH and, I believe, we have a 17,000 BTU unit inside because our's was upgraded. We live in the Houston, TX area and have only camped twice with our RV; both times when it was 100 degrees outside, I could not cool the inside of the camper any lower than 84 degrees during the afternoon. As soon as the sun went down, it cooled down to 74 (where it was set) within two hours. I have bought insulated covers for the vents. I am even going to try covering the skylight in the bathroom because where the sun shines in during the day is burning hot.

I will also check the sealing of the duct work. That was a good idea. Every little bit helps.

Thanks everone!
mcbarbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #24
S&Dfz331

living partime in my 40' toyhauler in Vegas for 4 yrs I tryed everything but never thought to check the duck work conections. I found at homedepot a solar tech paint about $80.00 for a 5 gal bucket it reflect the suns rays and keeps your roof cool to the touch. easy to apply just roll it on. Plus I added a 13.5 ac unit to back up my 15,000 ducked ac. I will check my duck work now because the airflow in the front bunk could blow out a candle.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #25
Bob Landry

I thought I had all of my taping taken care of on the AC and duct. Labor Day weekend a friend and his GF were visiting us for the day and for supper. We were camped at Lake Georgetown, Tx, 100+ degrees. My friend said something about my AC filter needing to be cleaned. We popped the lower cover and besides a dirty filter, I stuck my hand up in the return air plenum and felt cold air blowing really hard. We both knew that wasn't right. There is a piece of fiber board separating the discharge and the return plenums, and air was pouring past it into the return air area. I don't know why the unit wasn't icing with cold air being directed right back over the coil. We taped it up and almost doubled the amount of air coming through the ceiling registers. At least it felt like it did. My AC did much better the next day. Summer isn't my favorite time to camp, but it is nice to be able to do it if you want without sweltering in a hot trailer. If my rig was set up for a second AC, I would do it in a heartbeat, but it's not. Maybe i'll keep it 3-4 more years and trade for a new unit that has double Acs from the factory

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #26
Festus2
Site Team

S&Dfz331-

Is the roof reflective "solar tech" paint that you picked up at Home Depot compatible with your EPDM rubber (assuming your roof is rubber) roof?
Old 09-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #27
S&Dfz331

festus2
I never thought to look when I bought it A RV tech told me about it. My roof is rubber and the paint has been on there through 4 summers in vegas with no signs of pealing. So I would say yes.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #28
therink

Direct sun has a lot to do with cooling loss but I second the opinion that if you have not removed all ceiling vents and inside ac cover and inspected and re-taped the duct work, and you are likely blowing precious cooled air into the ceiling cavity. I also blocked off the main ceiling duct ends at the foremost and aftmost ceiling vents to help provide more efficient air movement. I have found that my 37' fiver stays relatively cool in 90 plus temps.
One thing for sure is that Keystone puts very little effort into making sure their hvac systems are installed to provide maximum efficiency.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #29
Festus2
Site Team

S&Df331 -

The reason I asked is because EPDM rubber roofs are not a good place for anything that contains petroleum distillates - including silicone. That is why people should take a close look at whatever they are applying to the roof to ensure that it is compatible.

Obviously if, after 4 years, your roof has not shown any signs of it bubbling, peeling, blistering or just plain being eaten away, then it seems that product is ok.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #30
S&Dfz331

Yea no issues with pealing

Tags
air conditioner, hot weather, stupid hot, texas heat