Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
fredetteb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port List View Post
Hi f6bits,

The filter material is the blue stuff that can be cut to fit at Lowes. The frame is cut from poplar and put together with 45's picture frame style. It is mounted to the original Dometic a/c cover piece with screws from the back side. The cover piece is then put back in place as original, the cut to fit filter material inserted and a grill placed and secured with 4 small screws. Everything is painted to match. It gives a bit more filter area but with a much thicker filter. The flimsy filter and easily-broken retainer/grill are history.
Do you have a link or pictures to show how this was done? I love the idea and would like to see the process. With 3 German Shepherds in my '09 Raptor the A/C filter get changed a LOT!

Your post has given me lots of great ideas.
Tonneau cover. BullyDog GT. High Idle Mod.
B&W Turnoverball™ with a Companion 5th Wheel Hitch.
2018 Keystone Montana High Country 381TH.
fredetteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #22
Port List

Smile

Hello fredetteb - I'm sorry, I did not take pictures of the process. Let me try to go through it. Take the existing grill and filter out. Up inside the air box, you will see 4 screws which hold the big white piece against the ac unit and the ceiling. There are 2 plugs on the other side of the big plastic piece under which are 2 more screws. When you remove these six screws, the big plastic piece will come free. Construct a wood frame (like a picture frame) which will fit over the existing filter hole in the big plastic piece. It should be as wide as will fit on the plastic piece and as long also, right to the edge of the slide air diverter which dumps air under the unit. Check the picture I posted. The frame should be made of material which is about 7/8" thick and 7/8" to 1" wide. The inside edge should have a groove, 1/8" deep and about 1/4" to 3/8" wide. This groove is where your filter grill, made of 1/2" flattened expanded metal, will rest. Fasten the frame to the big plastic piece with wood screws from the backside of the big plastic piece. Don't use screws that will go through the frame all the way and pre-drill so nothing splits. I used poplar lumbar, cut and routed to make the frame and short drywall screws to secure it to the big plastic piece. Cut the grill to size and secure it with 4 small wood screws and washers. It should rest inside the 1/8" deep groove around the inside of the frame. I painted everything white before assembly. Cut the filter material to fit snugly inside the wood frame. To clean the filter, just remove the 4 small wood screws. The filter material is 3 times as thick as the original foam and much sturdier. I hope this helps, my friend. I used to camp with 4 dogs; I know your troubles.

2018 Jayco JayFlight 195 SLX
2018 F-150
Port List is offline   Reply With Quote