Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
kbosch74

Keystone Premier 31 BHPR vs SolAire 317BHSK vs Aerolite 315

Hello all.

We are seeking your input. We are down to the following three TTs, unless someone has another we should consider. Let me tell you what led us here:

1. 3 kids, so need for 3 bunks (or 2 bunks and a convertible couch/table in the bunkhouse).
2. Aerolite led us to the king size bed. But once we realized it wasn't a true king size, SolAire and its true 60 x 80 queen showed on the radar (I'm 6' 3", so a lenghtly bed is very appealling).
3. Outside kitchen. We like to tailgate, so outside of camping, this is very appealling.
4. Barreled roof...again, 6' 3" so the regular height TTs feel claustrophobic to me.
5. Modern decor.
6. Under 6,600 lbs or so dry.

With that criteria, you can probably see why these came to the top of the list. We'd love to hear your input on this...pro, con or others to consider.

(Oh, and we're good on understanding our tow capacity with these TTs).

Thank you!
kbosch74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
planesnut

I'm 6'4" myself, so when I first walked into our 2010 31bhpr I was very impressed. The outside kitchen also caught my attention and I just love it. We show toy dogs, so the bunk area was very easy to convert to a dog area, leaving the front of the trailer for human consumption. It tows like a dream, I pull it with a Chevy Avalanche. I have made a few owner preference mods, but nothing Keystone would probably put on their units anyway. The bed is a little challenging. but my DW is only around 5'3" so I can use the foot area on her side. Of course, in the summer I tend to just let my talons hang off the end of the bed, cooler that way. The first couple trips we made, we had another lady travel with us and we let her use the master bed and we made up the dining area into a bed. I had no problem at all stretching out on that and it wasn't all that uncomfortable, if that would have turned into a more permanent situation, we probably would have come up with something a little more comfy. We have had occasion to use the hide-a-bed couch and it turned out to be easy to set up, and the person who used it said it was very comfortable. Hope this helps with your decision, and hopefully, welcome to the Keystone forum.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
kbosch74

Thanks Lance.

How many inches between the end of the bed and the wall/entertainment center? Since there are "doors"/entrances into the master bedroom on either side of that entertainment center, one idea would be to put a regular queen size mattress in there (or, just pull down the current mattress and put some kind of foam up under the pillow area).

Do you think that would work?

Oh, and (a) can you get the interior fridge and the bathroom when the slides are in and (b) and does that outside fridge run on propane or electric only?

I really want to make the Bullet 31 work, as it's our favorite aside from the bed.

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
GaryWT

We have the 31bhpr and love it. Not much space at end of mattress I put my feet off to the side a bit. The bathroom has its own door from the outside and from the main door you can get to the fridge. The outside fridge is 110 volt. Ceiling height is great.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
kbosch74

Thanks Gary.
I also see that you're pulling it with a relatively modest tow vehicle, as will I (a suburban with tow package...after doing all the calculations, this TT will put me at the very end stretch of my tow capabilities). What has been your experiece? And have you ever towed it to/through mountains?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
planesnut

My tow vehicle is a little more than modest. It's a 3/4 ton with a 8.1 gas V8.
I made a box, which I have mounted on the rear bumper, that holds my two Yamaha 2000 inverters. I can travel down the highway with both my fridges on 110, and even run the A/C if I have them both powered up. I have posted pics in the mod section of the box. I also added a 3rd set of stabilizer jacks just in front of the front axle to help with the swaying when parked. They help a lot. I need to pick up a second set of wheel chocks, which will help stabilize it even more. I pulled thru some pretty stout mountains in New Mexico, near white Sands, and it struggled a little bit, but it made it while others were pulling off to the side that didn't have trailers behind them.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
GaryWT

Yes I am close to max all around. Will most liky at least look at a 250 next time around but so far so good. Tow at about 60-62 most of the time. Have towed in MA, NH, ME and VT. Some hills but not big compared to out west. Good luck and have fun
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
kbosch74

Thanks guys.