Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
HankyPanky

Shore Power cord tripping breaker

While checking on a few things yesterday I noticed my shed did not have power. I currently have my 5th wheel pluged in at the boat shed. I reset the breaker but when I plug the cord in the trailer it trips again. Nothing is on on the Camper or the shed and the cable checks fine with meter. I suppose I have a short on the camper side somewhere. When I pulled the plug apart that plugs into the camper I found the neutral wire loose and pulled out. I re-did everything in the plug and figured that would fix it. But it's still tripping breaker at the shed when I plug it into to RV? Also no internal fuses or breakers or showing any problems. Any suggestions?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
tileman

Can you turn off all the breakers in the trailer. Then plug in the trailer and then turn on one at a time till it trips. Maybe it will tell you whats doing it.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
HankyPanky

I certainly will try that, and let you know. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
HankyPanky

tileman thanks but it tripped as soon as I plugged it in with all the trailer breakers off. I suspect a fried inverter maybe.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
tileman

Maybe a wire could be lose or something in one of your GFI on the trailer just a guess on my part. Could be a ground fault.

Or maybe look into the panel of the trailer and make sure no wires are lose or touching.

Also ask here http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/ tons of good info

Good luck.
Ron
Old 02-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
davidjsimons

Have you tried plugging something else into that same outlet? It may not be an issue with your trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Bob Landry

A ground fault isn't going to trip the power source breaker. All that would trip is a GFCI outlet and there should be nothing on those except wall outlets.

Close to where your power comes into the trailer, mine is in a cabinet between chairs, you should have a metal electrical box that will be screwed to the floor. That is where the shore power cable is connected to the romex that feeds the converter. Take the cove off that box(cord unplugged) and check those connections. They are done with twist on wire nuts and one of those connections mat have come loose and left a bare wire exposed.

You said inverter. Do you actually have an inverter or did you mean to say converter? Two different animals.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
HankyPanky

Yea I guess it would be an converter. I'm leaning that direction due to finding the neutral wire out on the shore power cord. I will have to put it in shop I've taken it a far as my very limited skill will LOL. I will post what they come up with.