Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Avofarmer66

Water heater slow to recover

We have a Montana 3400RL and the 12 gal water hater is a Suburban SW12DEL which takes about 1.5 hours to get to temp, and it shuts off, the water is about 110 deg. We do dishes or 1- 5 min. shower and the water is warm not hot and then take another 1 hour to get back to temp and shut off.

The reset switch on the heater has been pusher so many times it is worn through. The LP side work good and comes to temp in about 45 min. when first started.

What do I look at to get the electric side to heat up faster??

O' We just got this 4 mo. old Montana last Friday 12-21-12 and the dealer said I sould try it for a few outtings before we replace switches and controls.

Any help out there... Merry Christmas and God Bless
Avofarmer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
SLIMSHADIE

Can you turn on the gas and electric at the same time? My 6 gal you can and recovery time is pretty quick, never timed though. I only turn on both at shower time.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Roller4Tan

I'd try draining and flushing the heater. If that doesn't work pull the electric element out and check it. It could be "coated" with hard water scale. Make sure the water has cooled off before attempting to pull the plug.

Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Even though you have a 12gal water heater the electric element is most likely the same size as the 6gal.(110v ac 1400-1500 watt) It is enough to maintain temperature but any heavy usage like showers requires propane which has a much quicker recovery than electric. Try using both for your next showers, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. We have no problems doing this and we only have a 6gal. Also the temp of the water coming in will have a big impact on recovery.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
SAD
Permanent User Ban

When available, we use electric. However, at shower time, we run both gas/electric. Never a problem with recovery time. Ours is 12G also.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
rhagfo

I use both set the electric setting slightly higher than the gas, that way electric maintains the temp, but a large draw will trigger the gas for quicker recovery.

In our old 5er we had a 6gal, that we ran this way and we could take three showers in a row and still have plenty of hot water.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avofarmer66 View Post
We have a Montana 3400RL and the 12 gal water hater is a Suburban SW12DEL which takes about 1.5 hours to get to temp, and it shuts off, the water is about 110 deg. We do dishes or 1- 5 min. shower and the water is warm not hot and then take another 1 hour to get back to temp and shut off.

The reset switch on the heater has been pusher so many times it is worn through. The LP side work good and comes to temp in about 45 min. when first started.

What do I look at to get the electric side to heat up faster??

O' We just got this 4 mo. old Montana last Friday 12-21-12 and the dealer said I sould try it for a few outtings before we replace switches and controls.

Any help out there... Merry Christmas and God Bless
the electric element is only about 1400 watts (4500BTU), while the gas is about 25,000 BTU. for the 6 gallon, recover is listed at 10.5 gal/hr on gas, and about 6 gallons/hr on electric. So it's going to take about 2 hrs to get the tank warm on electric, and as you noticed maybe 45minutes on gas.

IMHO electric is nice to use to suplement the gas, you can use gas and electric at the same time for fast recovery, then switch to electric to keep it hot. But I NEVER use electric to get the tank hot to start with.

if you use gas and electric I'll bet you'll get hot water in about 30 minutes. On our 6 gallon tank, we get hot water in about 20 minutes with gas and electric, 30 minutes or less on gas only.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

The thermostat in most Suburban water heaters is set ast 130 deg F and is set at the factory. If the temperature is only 110 deg using electricity, then it would suggest that there could be something wrong with the heating element or the circuit (Thermostat??)which seems to be cutting out before the water reaches 130 deg.

As others have mentioned, propane will heat the water faster but if both electricity and propane systems are functioning properly, the water - when finally heated - should be close to 130 deg. on each function.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
mikell

We turn both on in the morning and shower about 10 minutes apart with no problems then shut the gas off when she gets out and use electric the rest of the day
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #10
Avofarmer66

Thanks everyone for the HOT Water Tips

Haveing just joined this forum I'm glad to have all the help and advice. Happy to have my new Montana.

Thanks,,,
Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Bushman512000

Hot water

You may have a bad elect.element had that once changed it out and no need for the gas to help heat the water.Check the tank for scale from hard water may be that also I use a rod in mine to keep the scale down and they work very well they are made for the system for that reason..Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
Avofarmer66

New thermostat

Dealer sent me a new Tstat set @ 130 deg. We also ran the Gas side when showering or laundry on the last time out. Heater works great.

Thanks for all the advice. Great forum!!!