Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
loknload

Anyone Weighed Their Passport 238ML?

I have a 2013 238ML and pull it with a 2008 Toyota Tacoma double cab 4WD longbed. I know I am well within the 6500 pound towing capacity but I am wondering about overall weight of the truck and trailer together as well as tongue weight. Has anybody ever weighed one ready to camp? Has anybody ever gotten an accurate tongue weight? My tongue weight limit is 650 pounds. All of the literature I have seen says 3707 pounds dry with 495 pound hitch weight. My dealer's literature says 3890 pounds with the same hitch weight so I don't know who to believe.

I have a good WD hitch with sway control and a Tekonsha Primus IQ brake controller and the trailer pulls great right around where I live. This weekend I pulled over to the coast and did ok with speed up grades. My main concern was that it seemed like the trailer was moving the truck around quite a bit. I wasn't getting any sway from the trailer,however, there was some pretty decent wind gusts on the coast and it felt like the rear of my truck was floating or walking a couple of times. It's kind of hard to explain but it made me uneasy enough that I then started feeling every little jostle. I don't know if I'm hyper-sensetive to any movement because I don't have a lot of experience towing this much weight with my Tacoma or if I'm just experiencing normal movement of the TT and TV and I need to quit being a baby and go with it. I bought this trailer because we loved the floor plan and room it provided and because I put trust in the dealership when they told me I would be fine towing it with my Tacoma. Now I'm wondering if I need to go look at a Tundra (which upsets me because I own the Tacoma outright).
loknload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
tomsws6

Im assuming you have the v6 right? Its hard to really say but it could be that your not used to hauling that kind of load on that truck. You might need to put a more heavy duty bump stops in to help with control. Does your rear sag under the wieght? If it sags alot then there may not be enough wieght on your front axles which might give you a floating feeling? And no matter what tv you have when the wind hits it from the side its gonna move ya.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
loknload

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsws6 View Post
Im assuming you have the v6 right? Its hard to really say but it could be that your not used to hauling that kind of load on that truck. You might need to put a more heavy duty bump stops in to help with control. Does your rear sag under the wieght? If it sags alot then there may not be enough wieght on your front axles which might give you a floating feeling? And no matter what tv you have when the wind hits it from the side its gonna move ya.
I do have the 4 liter V6. I also have a small lift on the truck with a fourth leaf added so the leaf pack is more stiff than stock. Without the WD hitch it sags a bit but with it the truck and trailer are totally level. I may need to measure the distance from ground to fenderwell with and without the TT hooked up and see if the distance is further (front end is higher) with it hooked up and maybe make some adjustments there if needed. This trailer should be well within the Tacoma's stated capabilities for tow capacity and total weight of both TV and TT. I know I'm probably close on the 650 pound tongue weight capacity and probably the payload capacity of the truck. All in all, it's like I thought. I need to get used to towing with my Tacoma. The only other thing I've towed with it is a two bike motorcycle trailer with a couple of road race bikes on it that probably only weighed a couple thousand pounds total. All of the other pulling I've ever done (farm implements and large cargo trailers) have been with 1/2 or 3/4 ton trucks. Thank you very much for your reply.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
audio1der

Don't forget that the literature stating the tongue weight often doesn't include batteries, not a propane fill, or anything you pack in the trailer.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
loknload

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der View Post
Don't forget that the literature stating the tongue weight often doesn't include batteries, not a propane fill, or anything you pack in the trailer.
I knew it didn't and that's why I am kind of worried about tongue weight. I only have 150 pounds left from my tongue weight capacity for two propane tanks and two batteries and I'd bet they weigh 150 pounds or more.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
SAD
Permanent User Ban

http://catscale.com

SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #7
CincyGus

I have the same trailer and tow with a Silverado 4x4 1500 5.3 crew cab. Fully loaded for camping we weighed in at 4300lbs with dry water tanks, about 4550 with water. With a W/D hitch and friction sway bar, she tows well with our truck. Just did 1000 each way this summer on a trip.

My advice is to go and spend the time to get it weighed both as the total loaded weight and the toungue weight as that may be your issue. Might be that you need more tongue weight or could be too much, you just won't know until you weigh it and nkow for sure.

Then also, double check the front fender well heights as you mentioned both loaded and W/D installed and unloaded.

Don't forget to put anything in your bed you would if you were going camping.

Spending the time to get the wieghts right and the W/D setup right will be well worth it for you. I think your fine on the truck and trailer combo, likely just one of the above is not setup right as far as tongue weight too heavy or light or the W/D hitch not properly adjusted.

The lift kit doesn't help (not a great idea on tow vehicles). Even with everything setup properly and weights all being good, you will feel some movement in windy area's or when a semi passes you. thats a big square billboard your pulling around and unless you have a much heavier truck, you will feel those things andthey will move you a little bit.

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Keystone Passport Express SL 238ML

My Camper and Mods https://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...sport%20238ML/
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote