Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
rosede

Adding a bubble level to the camper

I purchased a set of bubble levels for the camper. They have adhesive but I can also permanently attach them with screws. My first camper I used similar levels, but only used the adhesive. After a couple of years they fell off. Any issue with me permanently screwing these into the fiberglass of my camper? One in front on the nose and the other on the side above the storage door?

Thanks.

Daryl
rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Laredo291OH

Hi Daryl,

You don't say if you have a 5er or a tt, so here's a suggestion for a tt. I have used these on 2 tt so far and they work great. It mounts to the tongue right in front of the jack will tell you how much the tt needs to come up on the right or left and how much it needs to come up.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
rosede

Laredo291OH,

I have a TT, Outback 272RK.

I'm not exactly sure what you attach to the tongue of the camper. Are you talking about the bubble level itself?

The bubble levels that I bought are meant to attach to the body of the camper.

Thanks

Daryl
Old 09-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
gepaine

I screwed them into the fiberglass much as you described. I drilled a hole in the fiberglass for each screw and put caulking in each hole so as not to create a leak.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
CincyGus

Just remember the most important part. Level the camper perfectly first before drilling and mounting them. Had a friend mount his and then realized the camper hadn't been leveled. Then for the rest of the time he had the camper, he had to remember that level was really 2 notches to the left and two notches below, lol

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Keystone Passport Express SL 238ML

My Camper and Mods https://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...sport%20238ML/
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
cathcartww

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepaine View Post
I screwed them into the fiberglass much as you described. I drilled a hole in the fiberglass for each screw and put caulking in each hole so as not to create a leak.
On the last trailer, I used the foam strip sticky things that came with the levels, and once I had them set where I wanted them, I marked the holes with a pencil mark so I could check to see if they ever moved a bit. They were on the trailer for over three years until we traded it in ...

The new trailer came with them already installed - two stainless steel self taping screws and plenty of caulking.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:03 AM   #7
rosede

Thanks for all of the feed back. I think that I go ahead and drill the holes. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't damage anything some how and verify that was what others were doing as well.

Thank you.

Daryl
Old 09-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
Laredo291OH

Hi Daryl,

Just noticed that I forgot to post the link to the etrailer website showing the level I use on the tongue. Here it is.. http://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Hopkins/HM09715.html With this there is no need to drill into the fiberglass.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
cathcartww

The Barker electric tongue jacks come with a 360 degree bubble level on the top. We have the small levels on the trailer, but once the one on the jack is set up properly it seems to be handy and corresponds to the other levels. I would guess you could get a similar level at a big box store, and mount it on the tongue somewhere without drilling holes in the fiberglass.
Attached Images

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote