Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
MEGrimm

Television Cable Satellite Connections

Could someone help me understand the wiring of antenae connections in my Laredo 321BH. I can get good reception via the antena to the bunkhouse TV and the tv in the main room but reception in the master bedroom is poor. cable seems to feed well to the main room but not to the master bedroom and is so so in the buhkhouse. There are numerous connectors above the tv in the main room that seem to cross connect in some way, not to mention the connection in the storage bay below the rig? Help!
MEGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
jbsmith

There are numerous cable splitters inline with the coax cable between the various TV wall plates. The combination of splits and cable run will reduce the signal level that each TV receives as you get farther from the antenna/booster. The most distant TV is probably seeing no more than -6 dB (1/4) of the signal from the booster. I'd bet it's closer to -10 dB...or more. The Wyngard booster is only a +10 dB booster, i.e. your farthest TV is probably seeing no more power (maybe even less) than it would if simply connected directly to the antenna. You've got one more TV outlet than I do...which means one extra split...and even LOWER signal levels. You may want to post some pics of the connections you referred to, but most likely you're simply seeing the wall plate with coax jumper used to patch in a satellite or cable tuner box.

Installing another TV booster in your master bedroom would probably help, as would reducing the length of the cable run. Check *ALL* of the coax connections...including the one on the roof at the antenna. The connections should be more than hand tight.

A good quality TV, like Samsung, Sony, etc. are often able to handle lower signal levels than some of the cheaper/no-name brands that ship with the trailers from the factory. The Samsung in my bedroom (farthest from the antenna input) picks up more channels than the "Legend" model that was originally installed in the living room of our 331MKS. I've since replaced it with another high end Samsung which does MUCH MUCH better.

Here's how my trailer was originally wired:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable Routing.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1738  

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
MEGrimm

TV connections

Thanks for the information. I will take a look at the connections and put a booster in the master bedroom to see if that helps.
MEGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote