Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #1
Devin_Noel

What repair & maintenance gear do you carry with you?

What every day carry gear do you have in your truck or trailer to deal with RV emergencies? We just got a new to us 2017 Carbon 35 to upgrade from our old fiberglass shell 17' Casita. Body & roof construction especially is way different (and I'm already fighting a roof leak up at the front cap). What repair & maintenance gear do you guys normally carry with you to do emergency fixes on the road?

Gear always in my truck
  • Toolbox
  • Screwdrivers
  • Wrenches
  • Sockets
  • Pliers
  • Hammers
  • Multimeter
  • Fuses
  • Flashlights
  • Tape measurer
  • Ducktape
  • Electrical tape
  • Dry silicon spray lube
  • Penetrating oil (WD40 probably)
  • Electrical contact cleaner
  • Air compressor
  • Spare hitch pins & parts

Trailer (numerous duplicates to what I have in my truck as well)
  • Pipe dope
  • Water heater anode wrench
  • More fuses
  • Cordless drill
  • Outlet tester
  • Fresh & black plumbing hoses & fittings in separate boxes (we normally fill & dump tanks at home for weekend camping so rarely actually need this gear)

Stuff I think I need but don't yet have moving up from a fiberglass shell trailer to a more conventional "stick built, rubber roof" one
  • #8 self taping screws
  • #8 speed nuts
  • EternaBond tape (what size?)
  • Caulking
  • Roll of butyl tape
  • pre-greased 7k axle bearings in a sealed plastic container

Stuff I use to carry in my old fiberglass shell Casita but won't need anymore
  • Rivet gun
  • Rivets
  • pre-greased 3.5k axle bearings in a sealed plastic container
Devin_Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:41 PM   #2
notanlines

Ah, Devin, say it ain't so! Any self-respecting RV'er is carrying the pop-rivet gun and an assortment of rivets....you just never know! Better put those back.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Lot of stuff to carry and probably as many menus of "stuff" as their are owners. As you get responses you can pick and choose what seems to fit for you. That Carbon will want a lot more stuff...

Make sure you have Robertson screwdrivers (I carry at least 3) and an assortment of Robertson screws.

I carry a box of 8x32 speed nuts to put on the above screws when required.

Cordless impact

Nuts/bolts/washers of various sizes used here and there.

Torque wrenches (carry 3)

Dicor sealant; leveling and non leveling w/caulk gun

Black ProFlex/ProSeal

Spares; thermostat, water heater control board, water heater relay, switches, dual stage regulator, anode rods

Water hoses with spray ends (not for use for potable water)

Water heater flush wand

A couple of hose end anti siphon valves

Small shop vac

Used to carry cordless blower but had slide toppers put on this one

And a lot more I would need to inventory....and oh! In the tool category I also put my smoker, bbq grill and Blackstone flattop!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:20 AM   #4
Weldon

Really depends what type of camping you do.
We never boondock and only use campsites with Water, Electric, and Sewer hookups. You've about listed everything I carry. I didn't see where you mentioned a jack for the trailer, however. I have a dedicated jack for our camper and as already stated, torque wrenches and a breaker bar. Some folks carry a compact air compressor. I carry a telescoping ladder as well. I'm sure others will chime in on more. Good luck deciding on what is needed and what is being paranoid. I haven't figured out that fine line yet.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:13 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

You will read all sorts of theories on this. As has been ststed, a lot depends on how you use it. Where we camp we're never more than a 1/2 hr or so from civilization. I carry too many tools and stuff but my PRIMARY concern is getting out of an emergency. Get it patched up so the water stops leaking or just get it back on the road is my goal. I'll fix it properly when I get it home.

Folks that full time and folks who travel out in the boonies hours away from anyone else will have different needs. Bear in mind tools are heavy. The more you pack in the less available space and payload for the "stuff" that you may want to take for recreation or comfort.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:51 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Most important tools not mentioned....BOTTLE OPENER and CORK SCREW .... Enjoy your new to you Carbon. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #7
Devin_Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
Really depends what type of camping you do.
We never boondock and only use campsites with Water, Electric, and Sewer hookups. You've about listed everything I carry. I didn't see where you mentioned a jack for the trailer, however. I have a dedicated jack for our camper and as already stated, torque wrenches and a breaker bar. Some folks carry a compact air compressor. I carry a telescoping ladder as well. I'm sure others will chime in on more. Good luck deciding on what is needed and what is being paranoid. I haven't figured out that fine line yet.
Good catch. I could use the truck's jack on our old trailer. Need something a bit taller for the new one. Had been debating on the telescoping ladder a bit as the Carbon doesn't have one bolted to the side. I always carry a Vair 400 beefy 12v compressor in the truck for airing up. I have more tools than normal as I do tractor work on the side & pull the tractor with the same truck.

We mostly boondock for weekends & stuff, much less campsite things & I don't recall ever having hookups with the old trailer except sitting next to the house. So stuff like a busted water heater would be annoying, but we lived without a working one for a year or 2 in the old camper before I bothered replacing it. I tend to skew towards the patch it up to get back to civilization or get back home for major repairs.

I have the flushing & sprayer gear. But I never took them with on our old smaller camper as space was at a premium. We always filled, dumped & cleaned when we got home as I have the appropriate facilities here.

Everybody has way different camping styles & that's a whole different load of gear. Not even wanting to delve into that ball of wax, just highlights for emergency repair gear I may have not thought about but should have with the new trailer style.
Devin_Noel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance