Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2021, 03:15 PM   #41
jamtracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
From RV Lifestyle Magazine, and no, not photoshopped.
Yea it is. No F ing way.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:44 PM   #42
notanlines

Jam, 'way'
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:35 PM   #43
Hankster

Give me a half ton with a v8 engine if pulling a camp trailer.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:30 AM   #44
nitrohorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcondan95705 View Post
why would anyone have an electric car?
Because your president, Biden-Harris, wants to be gasoline free in 2035.
Evidently it's what the people want by electing "him/them."
2013 Jayco 26RLS
1996 Sunline 21' TT
1977 StarCraft Galaxy 8 pop-up
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:18 AM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohorse View Post
Because your president, Biden-Harris, wants to be gasoline free in 2035.
Evidently it's what the people want by electing "him/them."

I'm sure we all share some "opinions" on this but we don't want this to devolve into a political conversation.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:11 AM   #46
mfifield01

Another concern would be range with electric. If you get 300 miles on a good day, what do you get towing? You might get ~130 miles before needing a charge. You can supercharge, but you would have to find a supercharger and drop the trailer somewhere. This would never work for most people.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #47
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm waiting for that "portable accessory" to extend the range of electric vehicles... You know, that gas powered generator that mounts to the receiver, on a platform that "shakes and rattles and bends" as you drive down the highway....

I can see the TESLA or the FORD Mustang ad now, "For a small charge, an optional generator to extend your range is available from your dealer. Just fill the tank and extend your range. Many owners find it provides an unlimited range with no need to stop for recharging while on your long range trip. When towing your RV, just move the generator and platform to the rear of your trailer and connect with the optional, extra cost extension cord."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:11 AM   #48
travelin texans

With the torque & hp of the electric motors in these EVs I'd guess power wise they're better equipped than some pickups, but suspension wise not so much. Let me back up, suspension wise maybe not much difference than some 1/2 tons.
Do I want an EV to tow any type of trailer............HELL NO!
Do I want an EV of any kind........again HELL NO!
If/when they design one that will GO as long as I feel like driving & doesn't take a week to recharge after doing so MAYBE I'd think about owning one, until then I'll see you at the gas pump for a couple minutes then be on my way.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #49
Hblick48

The Tesla Cybertruck 3 motor version is supposed to be rated to tow 14,000 pounds. You should be able to get about 150 miles of range when towing. 45 to 60 minutes at a Supercharger any you'll be on your way again.

150 miles is usually the farthest I want to drive before taking a break anyway.

Just saying....towing with an electric vehicle is possible now, and will become better as the Cybertruck and other manufactures (Riven, GM, Ford) start building electric pick-ups.
Hblick48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:57 PM   #50
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
The Tesla Cybertruck 3 motor version is supposed to be rated to tow 14,000 pounds. You should be able to get about 150 miles of range when towing. 45 to 60 minutes at a Supercharger any you'll be on your way again.

150 miles is usually the farthest I want to drive before taking a break anyway.

Just saying....towing with an electric vehicle is possible now, and will become better as the Cybertruck and other manufactures (Riven, GM, Ford) start building electric pick-ups.
Try this, go to a busy interstate rest stop one day. grab some food and plant yourself infront of a window facing the fuel pumps. Note how many folks are fueling up over that hour time span. Now imagine PARKING that many vehichles while they are recharging. Now imagine the electrical grid it would take to simultaneously charge hundreds of vehichles with 480 v "rapid chargers". It would require quit a substantial substation conected to high voltage transmission lines.

So now with all those vehichles tied up charging the people are not able to use the restroom, grab a drink and sandwich and shoot out the door and get back to making miles dissapear. So now, that rest stop will need to quadruple in size to accomondate all the folks "waiting around" for their wheels to recharge. How much extra power will be required to heat, cool, and illuminate that space?

Yea, not to practical. Until they get the battery technology where storage and charging are not at odds then I think it will be a "novelty" that may give some the "illusion" that they are doing something significant to save the planet. IMHO it ain't there yet and it's not on the near horizon.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:32 PM   #51
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
T

Yea, not to practical. Until they get the battery technology where storage and charging are not at odds then I think it will be a "novelty" that may give some the "illusion" that they are doing something significant to save the planet. IMHO it ain't there yet and it's not on the near horizon.

^^^And this would be reality and not some sort of ideologically driven hyperbole. If we think that this country can switch from fossil fuels, drive/tow etc. by 2035 someone is living in an alternate reality. But then again, I heard that they are going to outlaw global warming/global cooling/climate change/wind/hurricanes....or whatever with some new legislation??? After all these years I still thought those powers came from somewhere else....but maybe not anymore.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:32 PM   #52
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Falcon, why would someone want their running boards to fold up automatically?
I know this one.

DW has knee problems. To get into the TV, she has to put down a folding stool, step onto it, step onto the running bar pipe, step onto the cabin floor, sit down, and pull the stool up after her with a rope.

The step from the current running board to the cabin floor is barely worrisome, but the first step to the running board is impossible.

Running boards that fold can come down lower than ones that don't, because the latter have to be high enough not to hit things when traveling.

I have more than once tried to find a vehicle with a folding running board in my area so that DW could try it to see if it solved her problem before investing in a costly non-solution, but all the places in my area are just installers, who don't have one on hand to test-climb.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:03 AM   #53
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I know this one.

DW has knee problems. To get into the TV, she has to put down a folding stool, step onto it, step onto the running bar pipe, step onto the cabin floor, sit down, and pull the stool up after her with a rope.

The step from the current running board to the cabin floor is barely worrisome, but the first step to the running board is impossible.

Running boards that fold can come down lower than ones that don't, because the latter have to be high enough not to hit things when traveling.

I have more than once tried to find a vehicle with a folding running board in my area so that DW could try it to see if it solved her problem before investing in a costly non-solution, but all the places in my area are just installers, who don't have one on hand to test-climb.
Don't try that around here in the winter... Folding running boards get "stuck in the ice buildup behind the front tires and when you open the door, instead of deploying, they burn out the motors from being frozen to the truck chassis. Then, you park "next to a snow bank" open the door, the boards extend, you get out, go in for a haircut, come back an hour later and get in the truck, close the door and the board won't retract.

Or, hit a "pile of snow/ice in the middle of the road" and bend the mounting brackets and the dealer doesn't have the capability to straighten the bracket, but can order a replacement for $300 and it's only $600 to install it.

There's a reason why "retractable running boards" are only available o the "high end optioned trucks".... Over the "time of ownership" they are (or can be) significantly more expensive to maintain.... And, when they do malfunction, you can't "just step around that part" but you are "reduced to using the parachute system to get out of the truck".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-11-2021, 09:16 AM   #54
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I know this one.

Don't where you live but most major cities have a shop that has "mobility" hardware that thy sell/install that can help. They may not "look as cool" but they can help. My DW has leg braces that go from inside her shoes to her upper thighs. She can still negotiate the F150 but I "spot" her when she climbs into or out of the F250.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:35 PM   #55
Hankster

He goes all over the place as long as its within a 100 mile radius.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:08 PM   #56
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Don't try that around here in the winter... Folding running boards get "stuck in the ice buildup behind the front tires and when you open the door, instead of deploying, they burn out the motors from being frozen to the truck chassis. Then, you park "next to a snow bank" open the door, the boards extend, you get out, go in for a haircut, come back an hour later and get in the truck, close the door and the board won't retract.
Fortunately, snow and ice are a total non-issue where we are and where we RV. Also, I'm pretty sure that, at least on the models I've been looking at, they don't stay extended when you park for errands unless you leave your truck door open.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:34 PM   #57
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Fortunately, snow and ice are a total non-issue where we are and where we RV. Also, I'm pretty sure that, at least on the models I've been looking at, they don't stay extended when you park for errands unless you leave your truck door open.
Depends on the "preference settings, just like the memory seats, the windows down and door unlock settings.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-12-2021, 01:16 PM   #58
LynneV

I own an all electric Chevy Bolt. Absolutely love it.
It is way fast especially off the line. In the over 4 years I have had it I haven't been to a Chevy dealer for service of any kind. I have put one set of tires on it.

There is a town on the other side of the mountains from us, takes about an hour to get there. When I leave I have 250 miles of electricity. When I get home I will have 240 miles of electricity. They are excellent cars for city driving, they love stop and go traffic.

Maybe you can't tow or carry tons of stuff but for everyday driving you can't beat it.

2008 Fuzion 393
LynneV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:31 PM   #59
notanlines

Lynn, just so we hear it 'from the horse's mouth' so to speak, tell us a little about charging it and how long it takes, how many actual miles per charge, and what y'all figure it might cost per charge at home. All we have to go on is the BS we get from the news articles.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:02 PM   #60
sourdough
Site Team

2019 Chevrolet Volt
Compact car
7.5/10 · US News & World Report
Range: 53 mi battery-only, 420 mi total
Battery charge time: 13h at 110V, 2.3h at 220V