Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2021, 04:15 AM   #41
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSisemoreTX View Post
Yes I just pisted a new thread so I could easily post the pics. Similar topic for sure!
I think you coined a new word.. “pisted”..it’s when your mad but reluctantly post anyway.........glad the damage was minimal .. I’m going to be replacing my tires very soon
Old 04-04-2021, 04:55 AM   #42
JSisemoreTX

LOL, love the definition. Thx jasin1.
JSisemoreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:34 AM   #43
CWtheMan

Quote:
Attached, a pic of the High Spec OEM (G Rated, 110 max psi) tire that came on my 2020 Keystone Avalanche 5th wheel. Less than 7,000 miles on it.....tires were inflated to 105 psi (cold). Was traveling 68 mph in route to Big Bend Natl Park near Marfa.

Pics below.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=46507
I sometimes take a lot of heat for comments like the ones below. It’s not a personal attack, it’s just tires.

In the tire industry, an underinflated tire is one that has a cold inflation pressure below what has been recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

A pot shot at your OE tire size; ST235/85R16 LRG. Keystone would set the recommended cold tire inflation for those tires at 110 PSI. At a deliberately set 105 PSI they are technically under inflated, at least that’s the way a regulator would look at it. At 5 PSI under inflation, the tire gave-up 210# of load capacity. It is a well known factor that RV trailer tires on the same axle will be supporting different weights, sometimes excessively. Without a supporting scaled weight by wheel position there is no way a consumer can truthfully say a wheel position is not overloaded.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #44
JSisemoreTX

Are you suggesting that anything less than "MAX" is unacceptable or unadvised? I didn't even have any water in my fresh water and was 1500 lbs under my 5th wheel GVWR.

It is my opinion but the word MAX means MAXIMUM and many professionals use different tire pressures based on the load you are supporting.

To me it is absurd to suggest that ONLY the MAXIMUM pressure on a tire is what you have to be at regardless of your actual weight.

When one considers speed, heat, psi.....a tire can heat up and expand psi very quickly in AZ, TX and in the desert. In other words ....agree to disagree.

A difference of 105 to 110 psi on a G Rated 110 psi MAX tire certainly shouldn't result in tire failure at 67 mph......with a few thousand miles on them....and NO it wasn't a pot hole scenario.
Old 04-04-2021, 04:04 PM   #45
notanlines

J, are you suggesting that if a member airs their cougar at 80psi in Vermont in May and heads to California for a month long vacation that he should stop and let air out when passing through deserts and hot areas? I sure hope not.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:25 PM   #46
flybouy
Site Team

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly. I check my tire pressure before I drive and adjust the cold inflation to the sticker on the truck or trailer. I went up a grade tire (same size) and the max cold inflation of the E rated tire is 80 psi vs the previos D rated tire of 65 psi both on the tire sticker on the camper and on the tire. I bought the E rated tires for a higher reserve so I inflate to max to get that reserve.

So here's the thing, I know NASCAR teams make minute air pressure adjustments according to track conditions. Now maybe I just haven't witnessed it yet but in the 67 years I've been on earth I've yet to see a truck driver air down the tires after off loading 30 tons or airing up the tires before loading 30 tons on a trailer. When I was learning how to fly my flight instructor never told me to air down the planes tires because we would be flying to a much warmer airport. I know the tires I've mentioned are not ST or LT tires but seriously? Adjusting a trailer tire air pressure other than the mfg label or tire sidewall cold inflation just doesn't make sense to me.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #47
CWtheMan

Quote:
Are you suggesting that anything less than "MAX" is unacceptable or unadvised? I didn't even have any water in my fresh water and was 1500 lbs under my 5th wheel GVWR.

It is my opinion but the word MAX means MAXIMUM and many professionals use different tire pressures based on the load you are supporting.

To me it is absurd to suggest that ONLY the MAXIMUM pressure on a tire is what you have to be at regardless of your actual weight.

When one considers speed, heat, psi.....a tire can heat up and expand psi very quickly in AZ, TX and in the desert. In other words ....agree to disagree.

A difference of 105 to 110 psi on a G Rated 110 psi MAX tire certainly shouldn't result in tire failure at 67 mph......with a few thousand miles on them....and NO it wasn't a pot hole scenario.
Does your vehicle certification label have a cold inflation pressure at 110 PSI for your OE tires? If so at a cold setting of 105 PSI they are underinflated.

Even though I often use MAX in a post it's because it was already used.

Technically the 110 PSI on your tire's sidewall is not a recommendation. Different tire manufacturers put it different ways. Michelin says it's the maximum permissible inflation pressure needed to get the maximum load capacity from a tire. What is not commonly known is LT & ST tires are not at their maximum PSI rating when set at the tire sidewall cold inflation pressure. FMVSS 571.139 explains but not completely. Tire manufacturer's individual tire data found in their data books can explain in detail.

Please remember that I'm presenting information from NHTSA and USTMA that supports how the system is supposed to work. Misunderstandings abound because a great percentage of consumers have always consulted with tire providers and they are not always forthcoming about regulations and standards. Another confusing factor is consumers with a trucking background. Tires in the trucking industry are regulated by a different set of regulations. Those regulations are not applicable to tires used on vehicles that were built under the guidance of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS).

I have no idea how or why your tire failed. Do you? I seriously doubt it's because of its brand name.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 05:10 PM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Does your vehicle certification label have a cold inflation pressure at 110 PSI for your OE tires? If so at a cold setting of 105 PSI they are underinflated.

Even though I often use MAX in a post it's because it was already used.

Technically the 110 PSI on your tire's sidewall is not a recommendation. Different tire manufacturers put it different ways. Michelin says it's the maximum permissible inflation pressure needed to get the maximum load capacity from a tire. What is not commonly known is LT & ST tires are not at their maximum PSI rating when set at the tire sidewall cold inflation pressure. FMVSS 571.139 explains but not completely. Tire manufacturer's individual tire data found in their data books can explain in detail.

Please remember that I'm presenting information from NHTSA and USTMA that supports how the system is supposed to work. Misunderstandings abound because a great percentage of consumers have always consulted with tire providers and they are not always forthcoming about regulations and standards. Another confusing factor is consumers with a trucking background. Tires in the trucking industry are regulated by a different set of regulations. Those regulations are not applicable to tires used on vehicles that were built under the guidance of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS).

I have no idea how or why your tire failed. Do you? I seriously doubt it's because of its brand name.

Cal now be serious....Oracle? The name for a trailer tire? I absolutely think it's because of the name.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:32 AM   #49
RickV

Quote:
Attached, a pic of the High Spec OEM (G Rated, 110 max psi) tire that came on my 2020 Keystone Avalanche 5th wheel. Less than 7,000 miles on it.....tires were inflated to 105 psi (cold). Was traveling 68 mph in route to Big Bend Natl Park near Marfa.

Pics below.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=46507
This scares the crap outta me. Had a similar situation happen a few years ago with Hercules Tires that were replacements for original tires on old 5ver. Bought the S637's and have been to Montana and back twice never even a hiccup. Other then pulling it home from the dealers about 70 miles Wednesday will be the first trip with our new Alpine 3790KP. Only going 100 miles or so but, leaving in a month on a 5+ month 14 state trip out west. It kind of pisses me off that you spend all the money on a new rig and then have to spend more to swap out the crappy bean counter tires.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:46 AM   #50
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
This scares the crap outta me. Had a similar situation happen a few years ago with Hercules Tires that were replacements for original tires on old 5ver. Bought the S637's and have been to Montana and back twice never even a hiccup. Other then pulling it home from the dealers about 70 miles Wednesday will be the first trip with our new Alpine 3790KP. Only going 100 miles or so but, leaving in a month on a 5+ month 14 state trip out west. It kind of pisses me off that you spend all the money on a new rig and then have to spend more to swap out the crappy bean counter tires.
Understand the frustration. I've replaced tires on brand new cars before because I didn't like the OEM supplied tires. The first time was with a brand new Mercury Grand Marquis in 1985. I didn't like the Firestone tires (this was before they had an issue) and paid for Michelins.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:16 AM   #51
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Understand the frustration. I've replaced tires on brand new cars before because I didn't like the OEM supplied tires. The first time was with a brand new Mercury Grand Marquis in 1985. I didn't like the Firestone tires (this was before they had an issue) and paid for Michelins.
I have a TireTraker TPMS system and will monitor these "Hi_Spec " tires and if I notice a lot of fluctuation I will reluctantly swap them out for the S637's.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-05-2021, 05:10 AM   #52
JSisemoreTX

Quote:
Agree and I am switching all to the S637's in April.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:49 AM   #53
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

For me, I just figure an extra 1000-1200 to the cost of any trailer I look at if they don't have what I consider reputable tires. Sort of like any other owner preferred add on; bed liners, retractable covers, running boards etc.

I have never watched tires being made, and not particularly interested in it, but those off brand tires make me think of a huge vat of molten rubber almost depleted; in the bottom of the vat the rubber has bits of this and that, some semi solidified chunks of rubber, dead rats etc. The guy in control of the vat and pouring the rubber tells his compadre "grab those molds over there, that's where we pour this stuff". His friend asks "which molds"? The other guy says those right there.....the ones with "Oracle" (Hi Spec etc.) on them. The compadre looks at them with a confused expression; "Oracle" he asks? "Oracle" for a tire name? Where the heck did that come from??
Old 04-05-2021, 07:26 AM   #54
travelin texans

Quote:
I have a TireTraker TPMS system and will monitor these "Hi_Spec " tires and if I notice a lot of fluctuation I will reluctantly swap them out for the S637's.
The TPMS is mandatory in my opinion on any rv, but it will not warn you of tread separation, sidewall bubbles or an impending blowout unless you see a huge increase in temperature. It will warn you quickly when the blow out occurs so you don't drive several miles before someone passes & warns you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:36 AM   #55
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The TPMS is mandatory in my opinion on any rv, but it will not warn you of tread separation, sidewall bubbles or an impending blowout unless you see a huge increase in temperature. It will warn you quickly when the blow out occurs so you don't drive several miles before someone passes & warns you.
This is true when I first got the TPMS system I still had the factory specials "Tow Max Power Kings" on my old 5ver got to St. George Island State Park when I came outta the ranger station it looked like I had a flat when I got closer to the 5ver the sidewall was separated and the flap was at the bottom of the tire making it look flat. The tire was still at full pressure. As soon as I got home I bought four new tires.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-11-2021, 03:32 AM   #56
RickV

Still looking all over the internet for any comments good or bad on these HiSpec tires. There is literally nothing out there. They have been around a few years you'd think someone would have had an issue by now. I don't want to shell out 💰 for new tires if they are at least serviceable, there are many other things I'd rather spend my RV upgrade 💰 on.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #57
JSisemoreTX

Quote:
Still looking all over the internet for any comments good or bad on these HiSpec tires. There is literally nothing out there. They have been around a few years you'd think someone would have had an issue by now. I don't want to shell out 💰 for new tires if they are at least serviceable, there are many other things I'd rather spend my RV upgrade 💰 on.
I only know that my Hi Spec, Oracle G Rated tire blew out costing me about $900 and we came out lucky. It had less that 10,000 miles on it.....was stock on my 2020 Avalanche.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:18 PM   #58
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Here's the deal to me; new 2021 Avalanche, unknown no name tires. No info; no good or bad so you have to assume there is no good. We know that the manufacturers put the lowest cost provider tire on the RV if they can....sounds like yours right? We know that those same "low cost" tires sure fail a lot. So to saving $$$. There are a lot of ways to save money that doesn't really mean a hoot. Going cheap on tires is the last thing you want to do for the RV you are towing....a nice new one at that.

In the end it's like everything else; try to scrimp in a critical area to save $10, have a failure and lose $10k...and the trailer might never be the same again. You are betting against the house and hoping to win; I don't gamble so removed my "Ranier" OE tires on the lot and replaced with Sailun S637s (tons of good reviews) before I experienced another "no name" tire failure and cost myself another $7k. To each his own but "trying" to find good in a bad situation to save a few bucks can be devastating. JMO
Old 04-12-2021, 05:08 AM   #59
JSisemoreTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Here's the deal to me; new 2021 Avalanche, unknown no name tires. No info; no good or bad so you have to assume there is no good. We know that the manufacturers put the lowest cost provider tire on the RV if they can....sounds like yours right? We know that those same "low cost" tires sure fail a lot. So to saving $$$. There are a lot of ways to save money that doesn't really mean a hoot. Going cheap on tires is the last thing you want to do for the RV you are towing....a nice new one at that.

In the end it's like everything else; try to scrimp in a critical area to save $10, have a failure and lose $10k...and the trailer might never be the same again. You are betting against the house and hoping to win; I don't gamble so removed my "Ranier" OE tires on the lot and replaced with Sailun S637s (tons of good reviews) before I experienced another "no name" tire failure and cost myself another $7k. To each his own but "trying" to find good in a bad situation to save a few bucks can be devastating. JMO
Couldn't agree more ^^^
Old 04-12-2021, 07:04 AM   #60
JRTJH
Site Team

So, it "sort of boils down to" this:

You buy two dozen eggs from WalMart, get them home, crack open 2 and they're bad, do you trust the others in that carton??? More to the point, do you trust the eggs in the other carton ???

Pop used to say, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"....

The tires "ought to be good quality and reliable"... Question is, are they? and, to the point, each of us will have to decide this:

Do you trust the other carton ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, upgrade