Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
saltfevr

Considering 2007,2008 Cougar 5'er

Hello:

DW & I have never owned an rv and are considering what 5'er we can pull.
TV: 2002 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 auto LB 4x4 ext 4.10 gcwr 16K

We've discovered all FW's profiles are not the same. Need the full stand-up bedroom roof for someone 6' tall.
DW saw a 2007 Cougar 278rks which seh loved because of kitchen corner windows. Not sure what a 276 Cougar model in that year might be?
Just wondering what experiences and advice you Cougar 5'er owners of that era could tell me.
Thanks for your time!

Tom
Utah
saltfevr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Tom in Utah -

We have a 278RKS '08 Cougar 5th and have had nothing but enjoyable experiences with it. It was purchased new and since then, we have had only very minor issues with it - nothing that required an RV tech to repair or replace.
The rear kitchen, while not to everyone's liking, is one of the features we like best. Good counter space, lots of light coming in through the rear and side windows, and sufficient and handy storage space for all the kitchen "stuff".

Bedroom height would be ok for you I think - just don't stand on the bed. Not sure about standing up in the space beside the bed - might be a little tight near the foot/side of the bed. We can both stand up at the foot of the bed, in front of the bathroom sink, in the shower and at the the foot of the bed. I'm 5'10" (but shrinking) - my wife's shorter (and she's shrinking too).

If you would like anything more specific or to ask questions, you can always send me a Private Message for more information and impressions.

And welcome, BTW, to our forum!
Old 06-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
hankaye

Tom, Howdy;

Bought a "used' '08 278RKS from Ardell BBrown last year.......
It had a Blain Jensen sticker right next to the door.
I'm thinking that it was new only been owned by a
dealer.....
That way I didn't get the first consumer Warrenty.
I'd do a title search prior to closing and be sure that if
you are the first owner and get your warrenty.

As far as the trailer goes, I likes it!!! Floor is a smidge flexibale
in the kitchen area. Thats due to a lack of supports due to tank
placement. I'm 6'1", 215#'s no problems, however the stairs and the
opening are a tad narrow for me (wear a size 50 L sport coat),
Have been living in it (Full timer), since the end of April 2011.
Haven't felt clostrophobic yet .

hankaye

PM me and we can discuss this further if you like.

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

We have a 290RKS .. same floorplan just a little longer. I'm 6' and shrinking and 250 and growing and still have plenty of room. We love the floorplan would recommend it. A bedroom slide would make getting around the bed easier but would also increase the pin weight but is something to consider. Good luck, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
saltfevr

Wow everyone,( Both Hanks and Festus,) thank you for the very warm and quick welcome! That gives a total rv newb some very helpful information. Thank you again and Happy, Safe Travels
Old 06-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
saltfevr

After speaking more with DW regarding our first RV (used or new)purchase. She likes the Bunkhouse models, BUT also wants the dinette AND sofa across from each other, if possible, for better conversation. So many floorplans have the dinette and sofa inline, or kitty corner. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance..

Tom & Cathy
Utah
Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Tom & Cathy -
Since the 2 "Hanks" and myself don't take children along, we really don't have any use for bunks. If any of the 3 of us misbehave, well--- there's the couch.

Unless we travel with friends, the only conversation that takes place is between the 2 of us so having the couch opposite the table for "conversation" isn't important. If there are more people, we just pull up the kitchen table chairs plus use the single recliner and sofa and converse with that arrangement. That takes care of 8 people who all have seats.

We didn't want the dinette so got the table and chairs instead. Smart move, we think and this works very well for us and we really like it.

Like most of the other floorplans you have checked out, the sofa and the eating area are inline as is ours.

Floorplans are so personal that it is hard to give "advice" --what works for us and what we prefer, may not work for you.

I'd spend a lot of time in as many RV's with various floorplan options as you can find. By doing this or going into friends RV's, you get a feel for what you like or dislike. You may not get the perfect one but if you can come close, what's wrong with that?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
f6bits

Maybe one of the regulars here can recall which floor plans have the front entertainment lounge. Personally, I thought that was a great looking setup. It moved the bedroom to the rear. It may have been a Montana, though.

I’m not 6’, but in my Passport, the shower seems pretty short and I wonder how six-footers cope with such a small shower.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Tom & Cathy -
Since the 2 "Hanks" and myself don't take children along, we really don't have any use for bunks. If any of the 3 of us misbehave, well--- there's the couch.

Unless we travel with friends, the only conversation that takes place is between the 2 of us so having the couch opposite the table for "conversation" isn't important. If there are more people, we just pull up the kitchen table chairs plus use the single recliner and sofa and converse with that arrangement. That takes care of 8 people who all have seats.

We didn't want the dinette so got the table and chairs instead. Smart move, we think and this works very well for us and we really like it.

Like most of the other floorplans you have checked out, the sofa and the eating area are inline as is ours.

Floorplans are so personal that it is hard to give "advice" --what works for us and what we prefer, may not work for you.

I'd spend a lot of time in as many RV's with various floorplan options as you can find. By doing this or going into friends RV's, you get a feel for what you like or dislike. You may not get the perfect one but if you can come close, what's wrong with that?
Well that makes four of us, we don't have a Cougar, we have a Copper Canyon 293FWSLS. This is also a rear kitchen model, just the DW and myself we are about 3' longer than the Cougars, but still tow with our 01 Dodge just fine.

My DW has a friend that joins us from time to time, then we use the hide a bed. Unless you are lucky enough to have grandchildren that closer than 6,000 miles away, don't understand the desire for a BH.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #10
rjsurfer

We own the smallest (245rks) of the Cougar rear kitchen models and love the rear kitchen layout.

After two cross country trips and dozens of smaller excursions still in love

Our only issues have been axle/brake related and those will be finally fixed this fall with new heavy duty axles and brakes, possibly discs if I win the lottery.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #11
azlee56

One thing I'd watch for that we were unaware of and ended up with. Make sure the landing gears up front have enough clearance when up. On our 08 Montana, they don't go all the way up, because they made the front of the trailer different. We had to get airbags to lift it up enough that a person could go over some big speed bumps. I still have to get out to make sure they don't drag in some places.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
hankaye

saltfevr, Howdy;

One of the main reasons that I chose the model that I did
was this;
When I stop during the day for a break, I like to be able to
use the kichen. On most models, one is forced to open the slide to
access some of the features ('fridge).
Another reason is, I enjoy the spaciousness of the open area no counter sticking out into the 'living area', so does Rascal.
Ya just need to look around and see what fits for you (that means DW...
"If the cook ain't happy, ...noone's happy" ).
Take yor time... if ya rush because of a good deal ask why is it a good deal...

hankaye

T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

Tom, As Festus2 suggested find a dealer with a large choice of models. Plan on spending a good part of the day sitting in different units. (Tell the salesperson to get lost, that you will holler when you need help.) Try and get a feel for different times of the day, like breakfast, dinner, evenings or worst case rainy days. How the unit fits YOUR FAMILIES way of dealing with these times will help you find the right model and the one that fits your budget. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress. Only you can find the fit for your family, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
saltfevr

HI again everyone:

Many thanks for your input and ideas! Gotta admit I sure like the RKS models.
Ooops I hope DW didn't hear that.

Not sure if I mentioned we intend to eventually FT in this undetermined RV, and the grandkids wouldn't always be there. So got more homework and cajolling with DW over the wknd. I mean gently discussing opur options. Thanks again and you all have a safe & Super 4th of July.

Cathy & Tom
UT
Old 06-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
hankaye

saltfevr, Howdy;

Rascal, K-9 navigator and fur disperasl unit extradenair, and I
are fulltiming in our RKS. Neither of us has to give way to the other to get around... 'cept the stairway and the head ...

hankaye

Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfevr View Post
HI again everyone:

Many thanks for your input and ideas! Gotta admit I sure like the RKS models.
Ooops I hope DW didn't hear that.

Not sure if I mentioned we intend to eventually FT in this undetermined RV, and the grandkids wouldn't always be there. So got more homework and cajolling with DW over the wknd. I mean gently discussing opur options. Thanks again and you all have a safe & Super 4th of July.

Cathy & Tom
UT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Tom, As Festus2 suggested find a dealer with a large choice of models. Plan on spending a good part of the day sitting in different units. (Tell the salesperson to get lost, that you will holler when you need help.) Try and get a feel for different times of the day, like breakfast, dinner, evenings or worst case rainy days. How the unit fits YOUR FAMILIES way of dealing with these times will help you find the right model and the one that fits your budget. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress. Only you can find the fit for your family, Hank
If the DW likes to cook she will most likely never be happy with the small side kitchens. She will either need a rear kitchen, or a side slide out unit.
My DW fell in love with the RK on our Copper Canyon, it is a L shape with a peninsula for the sink. we have between 4' to 6' of counter space, just flat counter space!

Old 06-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #17
hankaye

rhagfo, Howdy;

How easy is it to make a sandwich or move around in there
while stopped for a break during a travel day ??? Looks like the
fridge and stove would be tucked in behind the slide.

hankaye

Old 06-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #18
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
rhagfo, Howdy;

How easy is it to make a sandwich or move around in there
while stopped for a break during a travel day ??? Looks like the
fridge and stove would be tucked in behind the slide.

hankaye
We make sandwiches in the morning. The kitchen is a climb over the counter with the slide in! The table comes right up the the counter, that said worth the hassle for the meals that come out it.