Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
bigracenut

More on the battery arc'ing

Help!... I still have the huge arcing problem with ny battery. I own a 2010 Sprinter 276 RL. I cut my trailer cable that conects to my truck somehow during towing. It cut deep into the blue "brakes" wire and the black "battery charge" wire. The cut is about 18" from the female Bargman plug on the RV side. When I arrived at the campground, and discovered the cut cable, i then noticed my battery had been drained and it had blown the 20 amp battery charge fuse in my truck. And when i checked my battery, i unhooked it and it gives a huge "arc" when i reconnect it and it won't hold charge. I used my volt meter and found that with the battery completely disconected, i had a circuit from my hot wire and my ground wire on to my camper, as if it is grounded somehwere. I have checked the reverse polarity fuses and they are good, along with all of the 15 amp fuses in the camper fuse panel, all were good. I checked and the converter is still putting out over 13 volts when connected to shore power. Could it be grounded somewhere in the trailer side of the charging cable?.. Help!... I have checked dozens of things and haven't solved this problem yet.
bigracenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
LittleJoe

Check the connections on the trailer plug end. Maybe it got pulled hard enough to cause a short inside the plug.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
bigracenut

Thanks!

I have a new battery and I am replacing the entire trailer plug and wire on Saturday..........

Thanks!..... I'll keep you posted!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
bigracenut

Problem fixed..

I got the problem fixed.......I replaced the power cord that connects to my TV and fixed it......... thanks for all of your input and advise!

Pat