Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #21
Third Degree

I have a 2018 F-150 with the V8 and the 3.55, 9100 lbs towing. I tow a 27SAB cougar, 6610 dry, 8800 Gross. The hitch weight is 975. I have the Equilizer 12000 pound w/d hitch. It tows just fine.

For the Original Poster, look under your truck at the hitch. There will be a sticker on what the hitch is rated at. That will tell you the weight limit for that hitch. My sticker says with w/d it is rated at 11,600 pounds with a max tough weight of 1,160 pounds. Take a look under your hitch. Am I near my max? Yes. Just watch what you put in your rig, get water later, and load the trailer not the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7B9357FD-4287-4D1C-8303-378D1AB0D5CF.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	29511   Click image for larger version

Name:	C35F3EC6-2E04-4E5D-83D0-12DB9667D8D9.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	29512  
Third Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:13 AM   #22
GerryT

I would think it would be too heavy. A good ratio is about 1 to 1.4 in weight.
7000 to 7000 is a ratio of 1. You will be ok on the flat, but when you get to a incline you will be sceaming rpm just to get it going. When you get to a downhill you will be using every bit of energy to hold it back,including white knuckles. My thoughts, never max out. You don't have a buffer zone i things get steep, up or down.
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #23
Third Degree

Nope, it tows just fine up hill and down. The 10 speed transmission in tow mode works great! If you need to run 80 mph well that is not going to happen. But towing is fine. Keep it around 65 mph and no worries.
Third Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #24
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampdollar View Post
Thanks, All!

I've copied the formula and now I guess I'll go back to shopping for RV's!
Don't despair, you can get some really nice TT's in your range.
My TV has about the same ratings, oh it's superior being a Chevy but....
Sorry, JOKE, JOKE. I have no brand loyalty.

Perhaps your TV being a SCREW reduces carry capacity?
Anyway, I think your heaviest choice is well in the 2500/250 range.

Lets talk about the kinds of adventures you are seeking.
Now, my wife and I (What's that acronim?) like exploring the mid West and put lots of miles on so we like a 20' easy to maneuver TT.
People who stay close to home might be happy with a bigger / heavier TT (staying within limits).

We take off for 3 or 4 weeks at a time with no real plan although this is getting a little tough this year.
We just got back from a long weekend in Presque Isles and it was only 2.5 hrs away. If that's your pleasure am little more room would work.

Don't just go "Oh, that's nice". Think about what you are going to do with it and how long before fights start because of too little space vs. fights because the darn thing is just to tough to pull around.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #25
Swampdollar

Awesome Rig Third Degree! I got the exact same hitch and gear ratio! it's nice to here from someone who has got the exact rig I have. I'm still going to go a a little smaller, but not by much! I'm like you, I think the truck is capable, I'm just trying to find the smallest model that me and the wife will be happy with.
Swampdollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:07 PM   #26
Swampdollar

Hi linux3, yeah we plan on mostly short excursions around the East Coast, around 3
or so hours for eastern NC. Mostly to the coast (1 hour), We have no kids, and we've worked all our lives, we're ready to start enjoying life a bit! We both have agreed to find a TT that fits our truck, that "fit" is what I wanted clarity on. All our TT's left on the favorites list are slightly below 7K Gross and 28 to 29 long. The all fit the 13% rule for my truck. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #27
Swampdollar

We made a list of the things we'd load up the TT with on a trip and weighed it. Added batteries, gas, water Solar panels, inverter... also added coolers, food... Came up with 1,350 MAX to add to the Dry weight. We tried to be heavy on everything and actually weighed a lot of stuff. It was surprising how much everything put together added up to 1,350 lbs! Know this does make me feel better about the numbers though!.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Swampdollar you are doing a great job of trying to analyze what you really want vs what the truck can carry. That is always a job when the equation of truck/trailer is closed on one end. I think you are on the right track. Just a thought or two;

You are adding solar, inverter etc. I don't carry those and I don't carry water of any kind when traveling....whoops, that's a lie, I DO at times not empty my gray/black tanks when traveling until I reach 3 days. I no longer carry fresh water because we never used it.

We usually average about 1200 in the trailer and about 800 in the truck (with Andersen). That does encompass a lot of "stuff" but generally things we have to have. We carry too many clothes because we always straddle the shoulder seasons into winter which requires a lot of various garments, coats etc.

Think about cooking gear and how/what you like to eat. I like to cook outside and not inside, and won't unless there is just no way to cook outside. To that end I carry all kinds of outside cooking gear, tables, LP tanks etc. - Blackstone griddle, LP bbq grill, newly added pellet smoker grill....stuff to keep me happy and occupied (so DW says).

As you put those lists together, and you are doing a great job, just remember all the things that might be "handy" once you spend some time in the trailer. Our winter neighbor swears by her air fryer and I bought one because of it. Spent 300 on it, used it a few times trying to figure out how it would fit in our life...and now it sits in the stack of stuff for the Goodwill store.

You will find things once rolling you need. Sounds like you are doing your best to "see around the corners" as I always try to do - it's a good thing and will serve you well in this effort. Keep us posted.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:47 PM   #29
Sarge2

Gear ratio makes a huge difference on towing... engines need to work within a power range to work efficiently.... A truck with a 323 or 355 gear needs to reach a certain RPM that falls into it's power range...
The lower, (higher numerically) such as a 373 or 392 gear, the quicker it reaches it's power range... to a point of course... too large a gear can actually take the engine out or past it's power range where it makes the most power it can efficiently... or as efficiently as it is able...
Not sure If I explained it well... but normally tow vehicles will run a 373 to 410 gear for towing depending on size of truck, it's purpose and weights being towed...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing