Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
jbrosecity

5th Wheel Front Hitch Enclosure / skirt

I wanted to enclose the area under the front of the 5th wheel to store stuff under there with a nice clean look in front. I hunted around - there are either referred to as 5th Wheel Front Hitch Enclosure or skirt. Camping world sells em by Adco in two lengths 236" and 295". Optimal measurement on my Avalanche would be about 220" and about 5' tall. And since it is NOT white but is a kind of a light grey with graphics, I would prefer a light grey fabric. White would show all the dirt and would be kind of glaring. Etrailer sells a camco skirt in off-white, but at 292" I would need to alter it as it would wrap around much too far. There's a place called RVSkirting.com but their stuff is ridiculously expensive. I also found a place customskirting.com and was going to inquire with them. Wondering if any other 5er owners know a good source.

ALSO.... the front of the Avalanche slopes inward pretty steeply... it is not a vertical surface like the sides. I'm wondering if there are any special considerations for this? Thanks in advance
www.Wind-seeker.com
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:01 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Joe I think I understand. You want a custom built perfect fit front cover for very little money. I would look to a boat canvas shop and pay them a visit. It won't be cheap but you can pick the color and the fit should be better.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:17 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Something to keep in mind is "campground terrain"... If you "build a custom cover" that reaches from the trailer overhang to the ground at one campsite, then move to a campsite where the slope is "toward the rear of the trailer" that means the front will be "closer to the ground" and your cover will still reach the ground, but fold under. Next, set up at a campsite where the slope is toward the front of the trailer and you'll find that the cover "won't reach the ground" and you have a 4,6,8 inch (or even greater) gap at the bottom....

If you're wanting something to "close off the front overhang" at a given site, spend the money to "do it the way you want it"... If, on the other hand, you want something to use as you travel around, setting up in numerous campsites, spending "a lot of money to get something that "fits perfectly", well, it won't "fit perfectly" when you move to a different campground..... BTDT.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #4
jbrosecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Something to keep in mind is "campground terrain"... If you "build a custom cover" that reaches from the trailer overhang to the ground at one campsite, then move to a campsite where the slope is "toward the rear of the trailer" --- BTDT.
I realize that but this 5er is stationary - we don't even have a pickup to pull it. I just need something that works in its current spot
www.Wind-seeker.com
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch