Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #61
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 Jet Mech View Post
As I too see here quite often, especially in the solar,charger, battery and boondocking stuff which is why I try to offer some factual based knowledge. The more I’m challenged by the likes of you the more I learn.

As per your lithium battery charging, as with only being 100a mppt solar chargers at the top end, it would seem splitting the bank to charge and a disconnect to tie them together if the need arose to use all 600ah. Disconnect or split the bank in two either have one charger to charge one half at a time or two separate chargers.
This is my opinion just shooting from the hip, I would need to do some research but, where there’s a will there’s a way.

Every system in every coach needs extensive research. You can’t just run out to your electric meter and take the kWh per month and throw in a system. No matter what it is. That being said...if someone wants a 230ah bank and only 200w of solar, by all means have at it. If someone wants to charge at a 5%-10% rate then by all means have at it. Will these work? Probably, will they work well? Guess it doesn’t matter...

Mine does, so I’m happy.

No one ever said you can’t charge slower but it’s fruitless if you can’t charge your bank fully in a day....IMHO!

Maybe I should do this...

DISCLAIMER: this is only an opinion. No real research has been done by me on lithium battery charging in an RV. Boondocking situation with solar, inverter or converter. I will refrain from commenting further on lithium batteries and chargers.

Scott
Not sure what you were driving at, but MPPT solar charge controllers can be hooked up in parallel, but Victron does have a 150A so I would only need one in any case.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #62
SR71 Jet Mech

Yep me either, I’m wrong, you win.

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #63
SR71 Jet Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
A couple of points. I don't know of any RV that comes with a programmable charger. Perhaps you will share info on your programmable charger including cost. As far as charging rates just go to the battery makers website and it will be listed there. If you have several batteries in parallel then the charge rate to program is for the total bank. In my case when I get my lithium's which charge at between 0.5C and 1C depending on ??? then a 600AH bank could be charged with a 300 or 600 amp charger in 1 or 2 hours. The problem is nobody makes a charger that big for this application. 120A seems to be about it for a 3,000W inverter so charging from 0 to 100% in 5 hours is fine with me. Of course most of the time the sun will be our charger and coincidently I have enough room for a 120A solar setup.

I was referring to your comment here. I guess I didn’t STATE it in my post but my 2 solar chargers are paralleled.

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #64
Harleydodge

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote