Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #21
pakuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Six bolts.. 4 under the axle ( 2 on each U-bolt) and one on each end of the spring.. You can put a jack or jack stand under the axle to hold it up.. Replace the spring and retighten the bolts..

I generally would have removed the U-bolts first and then the spring hangers... Be sure to check out the shackles for wear..

Less than a six pack job even with a buddy helping..
One other thing, you should always replace the U-Bolts and nuts, I would also recommend replacing the Spring hanger bolts, Grade 8.
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #22
busterbrown

My selling dealer referred me to Dexter as they supplied the axles. The break was at the ubolt attachment point. On Friday, the Dexter warranty rep told me he would over night a replacement leaf spring on Monday, as long as the claim information form and pictured were sent to him. He told me that Dexter doesnt make the springs but their vender supplies them when assembly to the frame and axle takes place. He has them in stock.

And since this was a short week trip, our trailer was "atypically" under loaded as we left all the heavy toys and kayaks at home. The fridge was minimally stocked and so were our pantries. All holding tanks were empty. This was our lightest camping trip of the season.

The warranty rep also said these mono springs fail on occasion but are extremely reliable due to their parabolic design. Personally, I'm not buying that as I'd prefer a multi leaf spring on each side of the axle. He'll replace with OEM of coarse. That will be shortlived as I'm considering a full axle and suspension upgrade in the spring.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:22 AM   #23
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I'd prefer a multi leaf spring on each side of the axle. He'll replace with OEM of coarse. That will be shortlived as I'm considering a full axle and suspension upgrade in the spring.
I'm with ya' on that one... But I'd have to really LOVE that trailer to spend the kind on money that replacing the entire axle, spring and mounting system..

I'd probably put the new spring on and start looking for a more heavy duty rig...
Old 09-10-2018, 05:09 AM   #24
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I'm with ya' on that one... But I'd have to really LOVE that trailer to spend the kind on money that replacing the entire axle, spring and mounting system..

I'd probably put the new spring on and start looking for a more heavy duty rig...
We love this floor plan and this coach. Yes, it will cost a few thousand dollars. But, a trade up at this point would cost even more, much more. The coach looks new after 3 seasons of use. It works well for our family. We obtained rock bottom pricing on it and will use those savings to justify the suspension and axle upgrades. We dont' plan on selling for awhile anyways. It just does everything that we want out of a coach.

When our children our older (closer to their teen years) I could see us moving up into a TH. But for now, the coach is paid for and it just works. Plus its low profile height and 35' max length is maneuverable in our tree-lined residential neighborhood and many of the state parks we visit; longer and taller, not so much...
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle