Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #21
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don N. View Post
We did Glacier last year. Make all travel reservations NOW! DO NOT miss driving the highway-to-the-sun at Glacier. Take advantage of all pullouts to appreciate the grandeur of the views, especially for whoever drives because you must concentrate on navigating the narrow road and can't do much looking while driving.

If you can do the Road to the Sun from East to West. That puts you on the mountain side lane most of the way. Rather than the ½ mile drop-off just over the 18" curb made of broken rocks with concrete chinking !

And West of Logan Pass there are always construction delays with single lane traffic.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #22
hornet28

Another thing is drive The Road To The Sun all the way through in both directions
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:30 PM   #23
Bolo4u

The DW, son and I did a trip last summer, and spent a good amount of time in Montana, including Glacier and then West Yellowstone. We stayed in local, mom/pop RV parks throughout our trip. Glacier is beautiful and we spent some time at Lake McDonald, and also did the Going to the Sun Road (quite a challenge in a dually), and a few days after our trip, someone lost their life when they slipped and fell while hiking? on Haystack falls. We drove through the park and came out on the east entrance then returned to Kalispell through Browning. There were a couple of big fires in Glacier late last summer, including around Lake McDonald, so some of the beautiful areas may be fire-scarred. I know some of the original cabins and other historic areas burned.

While you're in West Yellowstone, be sure to visit the Grizzly and Wolf discovery center, its pretty cool. This is the facility that does the bear resistant certification rating and testing on various products. One of the days we visited, the bears were product testing a Grizzly brand cooler (like a Yeti) and it was fun to watch.

We drove through the park and did the Old Faithful thing, it was ok... We saw very little wildlife (one buffalo and a handful of elk) in the area of the park we were in, but it may have been to warm for them to be in the valley. I hunt big-game so I wasn't too disappointed in not seeing animals, plus it made to better driving, not having to worry about the tourists stopping to take pictures or rescue an "abandoned" bison calf...

This trip we didn't do the Tetons, but I have don't them in the past, coming in from the Jackson Hole side. Its all a very gorgeous area. We just returned from a 7 day vacation in the Kalispell area, and enjoyed it as well. Glacier Park was open but its very limited as far as things to do and amenities.

side note: If you like to BBQ, in Columbia Falls (just north of Kalispell, on the way to Glacier) there is a local owned butcher shop, Perfect Cuts, which is immediately next door to one of the parks we stayed in. They have great meats, marinades and various other rubs and seasonings. Try their taco sausage for really good tacos, and their baconators (bacon and breakfast sausage ground together) and they have an good variety of house cured sausages and brats, its really worth a stop. We stocked up before we headed south on our trip.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:26 AM   #24
Tinner12002

I'm I correct in thinking that most of the drive throughs everyone is talking about is done after parking the RV in a campground somewhere and then just driving through in their truck or car? Narrow and winding roads doesn't sound too friendly to RVs.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:48 AM   #25
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
I'm I correct in thinking that most of the drive throughs everyone is talking about is done after parking the RV in a campground somewhere and then just driving through in their truck or car? Narrow and winding roads doesn't sound too friendly to RVs.
Absolutely NOT RV Friendly at all!! Very scenic beautiful views but not something you'd want to do with any towable or with a motorhome over 24'
Just MHO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3295.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	15454   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3283.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	15455   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3330.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	354.8 KB
ID:	15456  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:55 AM   #26
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post

You are correct and there are length and height restrictions in place. I would not take anything but a vehicle up there even if you managed to get below 21' with a TV & TT.

Vehicle Size Restrictions
Vehicles, and vehicle combinations, longer than 21 feet (including bumpers) or wider than 8 feet (including mirrors), are prohibited between Avalanche Campground and the Rising Sun picnic area parking. Vehicle and vehicle combinations over 10 feet in height may have difficulty driving west from Logan Pass to the Loop, due to rock overhangs. Stock trucks and trailers are able to access Packers Roost on the west, and Siyeh Bend on the east.

Going to the Sun Road normally does not open until late June or early July. The last time we did it on the Goldwing it did not open until July 15. This is account of the vast amounts of snow across the summit. I think it is two months of clearing with dozers, hoes and blowers.

Here is the link for the road including road status that they start updating in May.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvis...thesunroad.htm

Here is some of the action clearing snow up there.

Here is what it looks like when you actually get to drive on it.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #27
GeorgeBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
The DW, son and I did a trip last summer, and spent a good amount of time in Montana, including Glacier and then West Yellowstone. We stayed in local, mom/pop RV parks throughout our trip. Glacier is beautiful and we spent some time at Lake McDonald, and also did the Going to the Sun Road (quite a challenge in a dually), and a few days after our trip, someone lost their life when they slipped and fell while hiking? on Haystack falls. We drove through the park and came out on the east entrance then returned to Kalispell through Browning. There were a couple of big fires in Glacier late last summer, including around Lake McDonald, so some of the beautiful areas may be fire-scarred. I know some of the original cabins and other historic areas burned.

While you're in West Yellowstone, be sure to visit the Grizzly and Wolf discovery center, its pretty cool. This is the facility that does the bear resistant certification rating and testing on various products. One of the days we visited, the bears were product testing a Grizzly brand cooler (like a Yeti) and it was fun to watch.

We drove through the park and did the Old Faithful thing, it was ok... We saw very little wildlife (one buffalo and a handful of elk) in the area of the park we were in, but it may have been to warm for them to be in the valley. I hunt big-game so I wasn't too disappointed in not seeing animals, plus it made to better driving, not having to worry about the tourists stopping to take pictures or rescue an "abandoned" bison calf...

This trip we didn't do the Tetons, but I have don't them in the past, coming in from the Jackson Hole side. Its all a very gorgeous area. We just returned from a 7 day vacation in the Kalispell area, and enjoyed it as well. Glacier Park was open but its very limited as far as things to do and amenities.

side note: If you like to BBQ, in Columbia Falls (just north of Kalispell, on the way to Glacier) there is a local owned butcher shop, Perfect Cuts, which is immediately next door to one of the parks we stayed in. They have great meats, marinades and various other rubs and seasonings. Try their taco sausage for really good tacos, and their baconators (bacon and breakfast sausage ground together) and they have an good variety of house cured sausages and brats, its really worth a stop. We stocked up before we headed south on our trip.

Thanks for the info and recommendation ,
GeorgeBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #28
GeorgeBullet

its crazy all the work they have to do to clear the road
GeorgeBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:07 AM   #29
Msmith2054

Yellowstone on our Bucket List this summer. Our first road trip with our “new to us” RV.
Will be traveling from SC coast. Any recommendations before we leave, or on the way?
Msmith2054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

If you plan on camping inside Yellowstone, make sure you have reservations before you leave home. If you're planning to stay outside Yellowstone, make sure you have reservations and an extra credit card before you leave home. If you're over 62, be sure to get the National Parks "Senior Pass" before you leave home. It isn't valid for contract services inside the parks but will save you admission fees and provide half price camping in all NP sponsored camping.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote