Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
sr family

Moisture Sensor

Hello, long time reader, first time poster. We are looking at purchasing a Passport 2920BH. While walking through at the dealership I did some testing on the exterior walls with a moisture meter. I know that the frame work of the TT is aluminum. Would the aluminum framework of the TT throw off the moisture meter results? Every time I scanned over a stud it would peg the meter, in between the studs was a zero reading. I also tried this on a new trailer at the dealership and received the same results. Anyone have any experience with moisture meters and TTs?
sr family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
earlzach

Your looking at a nice trailer.

As far as your question. look at it this way, If your meter goes off for about 2" ever 16" or so then yes, it is the aluminum setting it off.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Given the results you posted, the first thing I'd do is check another trailer to see if I get the same reading (then it's normal) or if I get different reading(probably an abnormal indication)....

Secondly, I'd contact the manufacturer of the moisture tester to ask them specifically what you discovered and whether it's a part of the limitations of the equipment.

Then, as a quick "do it the easy way", I'd do a "simple Google search". When I just did that, I found this: https://www.nachi.org/forum/f18/mois...readings-4905/ Here's what that link said: "Yes, James, any RF moisture meter will give you false positives if it encounters metal under the surface including corner beads, screws and nails, Pipes and old metal plaster lath."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #4
xrated

I'm making a guess here, but they might operate on the same principal as a stud finder. They look for different densities of what's behind the wall, so you can find the stud. The moisture meter is obviously looking for something more dense than a dry wall (a wet wall would be more dense???? right?) and so it sees the stud and causes it to alert you.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote